Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 heel types for toe-up socks, 2-at-a-time on ML
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baldocchi
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  11:52:00 PM  Show Profile Send baldocchi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been looking for instructions on how to do a gusset heel for toe-up socks done 2-at-a-time on a magic loop. There's tons of information out there on socks on 2 circs. I've tried the 2 circs method and found it much too fiddly and confusing. I really want to knit both socks at once because I am a lazy bum and I know I will not finish the second sock if I don't do it at the same time.

I pretty much get how to do a short-row heel, but I really want to try a gusset heel. Is it possible to do this? I'm sure somebody out there has the answer and is willing to share.

Thanks

Nicole

If we don't get there together, we won't get there at all.

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  01:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, there is a way to do a flap and gusset heel on toe up socks.

http://www.needletrax.com/SimpleSox.pdf

There are lots of different styles of heel and toes here:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8mnnp/toesheels.html#General

Hope that helps!

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

baldocchi
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  6:34:21 PM  Show Profile Send baldocchi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but is there a way to do it on a magic loop with 2 socks at a time?

Nicole

If we don't get there together, we won't get there at all.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  10:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Er, no matter what type of heel you choose, in my experience, any time you do two socks at once, you still have to do the heels separately, no matter if you're doing magic loop or 2 circs or dpns.

You might be able to do afterthought heels at the same time, but I haven't tried it, myself.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  3:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often make two toe up socks at a time on two circular needles, and when it comes to turning the heel (in reverse) & knitting the heel flap, I do each sock separately and then resume knitting two at once when I reach the cuff. For me, the whole reason to knit two at a time is to simplify! So if it isn't easier... Sarah.
Go to Top of Page

eclair
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
320 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  3:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit eclair's Homepage Send eclair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can treat the Magic Loop as 2 circs, it works just the same. You can also do two at once, no problem as long as you do one row on each before turning - just like an ordinary sock on ML or 2 circs (otherwise you get hideously confused, ask me how I know!)

If you are looking for a good book for this I've found the Charlene Schurch Sensational Socks book excellent as it explains lots of different toes and heels - as well as stitch patterns and toe-up AND top-down construction. I use ML rather than 2 circs and found it invaluable.

One tip though, if it's your first time using ML for 2 at once you'll probably find you need an obscenely long cable on that circ. Otherwise it's like knitting with your elbows tied to your sides!

In a nutshell, you knit from toe to halfway up the instep then work on 50% of your stitches (slipping first stitch on each row) to an inch or so before the back of your heel. Then do a small short-row heel to cup the point of your heel, then pick up the slipped stitches and knit in the round again, decreasing one stitch each side where the picked up stitches meet the top of the sock. When you have the same number of stitches as you started with then you are ready to work up the leg.

Hope this helps!

www.harridan.blog.co.nz
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1460 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  05:45:53 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
eclair is correct. Any heel type that can be done on 2 circs can be done on ml. For a heel flap whether done toe up or cuff down you have to first knit across both flap (or what will be the flaps), then turn your work. You will not go on to the instep sts. Now, purl back across both flaps and again turn the work. Because the heel turns are not knit all the way across the flap until the last turning think of the heel turn as one really long row. Complete each heel turn separately. From there you can pickup the gussets one after the other and continue 2 at a time.

Peasant heels can be done at the same time. Knit in your scrap yarn, I use the same piece for both heels, I do however make sure I have about 3-5 inch of free scrap yarn between socks so they are not stuck tightly together (I've knit them as one when that happens). When I go to pick up the sts for the heels I string them both on the needles and so do the heels two at a time. The only problem with peasant heels are for people who are lazy and don't like finishing. Once your cuff is done, the sock is not done. You do have to go back and do the heel. For some this is as bad as having to do a second sock. Personally I hate turning my work and so do not do heel flaps or shortrow heels. It's a matter of preference. I also have no problem finishing the second sock if knit separately.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe