Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What new method/whatever do you want to learn?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  9:24:07 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to learn holding two yarns in my left hand.

I now works colors with one yarn in each hand.

Want to learn to wrap/intertwin carrying two in left hand also. That is so I won't have long carries.

Then after I get two in left, I may tackle three colors in one row. But I'm not even to step one yet.

Margie

Silly Cone Valley, CA
I live in a crazy place -- I fit right in

starfire385
Chatty Knitter

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  12:43:09 AM  Show Profile Send starfire385 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm. This may not count as learning, but, I've done shawls, bags, scarves and pillows..I'd like to tackle sweaters and socks next. Also I'd like to maybe learn to cable.
Go to Top of Page

nwilson02
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  05:42:30 AM  Show Profile Send nwilson02 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My resolution for the past 2 years has been to learn cables. But I keep putting it off because it intimidates me. Go figure, lace is fine but cables aren't. So I am going to learn cables this year, no matter what.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  06:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lace. The final frontier...

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

sgoldfried
Seriously Hooked

Canada
769 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  07:08:41 AM  Show Profile Send sgoldfried a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi
i wan to learn how to knit cables but it to scares me
hope i can i find an easy way to learn how
sylvia
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  07:16:10 AM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to learn three things. Bohus knitting (similar to Fair Isle), Modular Knitting and I want to do something bigger than a dishcloth with shadow knitting.
Think I have my hands full for the years 2007/2008? As I also want to improve my Fair Isle skills as well.
scraffan
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  07:20:46 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cables don't scare me any more since I learned how to use the yarn row counters (sorry, forgot the poster's name, but the address for how to make and use them is http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/ ). It makes it all possible.
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  08:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to learn to purl backward. For some reason, knitting backward is easy, but I just can't seem to get the hang of purling backward.

Come visit my blog...
http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  08:05:23 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to make socks. And to do intricate lace.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

mkfromKansas
Chatty Knitter

339 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  08:31:43 AM  Show Profile Send mkfromKansas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today I am going to finish my first lace shawl. It is called Garter Lace Triangular Shawl but I don't know what book I got it out of. I keep adding another row of edging because I'm scared to take it off the needles and really see what I've done. I do know lace knitting is for me but it will be eons before I'm ready for the beauties in Victorian Lace Today. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  08:49:52 AM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In January I'm taking a class on entrelac and that is something I've been wanting to learn for a long time. I would like to do some lace knitting, but don't know if I have the patience for it. As for cables - if you want to learn go for it. It really is not hard. An easy pattern to start with is the Irish Hiking Scarf.
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  11:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two words - Fair Isle. {gasp} Oh no! I said it out loud, now I'll have to pluck up the courage to do it.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Tropical Knits
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  1:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm another one for wanting to properly learn/practice Fair Isle and other types of color work. I've kind of shied away from colorwork this year after having some major tension issues with it the first time I tried it. Now I think I'm ready to try again.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  3:23:26 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to learn magic loop. I have tried the tutorials and just don't get it. I probably have to find someone to show me in person.
Happy knitting, Chayah
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  3:59:06 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really want to make a final stab at learning Continental style knitting so that I can knit fair isle easier than the method I've always used. The Philosopher's Wool site makes it seem so much better that way.

Lella

Blabbity Blog
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  5:27:53 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My ultimate goal I guess is lace-knitting - however socks are on the list and felting. I mastered cables many years ago and have done a lot of fairisle and some colour work.I hope to knit some Nordic and Celtic projects too in the coming year.Happy Knitting - and Good Luck everyone with all your ventures - Lucylocket[meow]

My Pictures[http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucicat/]
Go to Top of Page

sandlover
Warming Up

96 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  5:38:02 PM  Show Profile Send sandlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to learn Magic Loop or learn how to knit 2 socks on 2 circulars.
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  6:27:26 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair Isle and continental. I so want to be able to do fancy colorwork and get frustrated with intarsia.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  7:03:36 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

During the past year,I knitted a pair of socks on two needles ; in the new year I wnat to have a go at knitting socks on DPN's.

Leslie

My Pics
http://photos.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  11:26:22 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see I really starated someting here. Fun to see what others want to learn.

Cables: ladies, if I could figure it out as a super young knitter living at home, you can certainly do it. Take a practice, counts for nothing, piece and just decide you're doing a 3 by 3 cable. Yes, you can. You can.

Loved "Lace, the final frontier." Clever. I'm too scared to go there -- you explore it, Rob A.

Purl backwards -- I'll have to work on that myself, Fleegle. Why didn't I think of that? I can kbb but don't do it often so have to think about it. And can only do it with yarn in right hand.

Margie

Silly Cone Valley, CA
I live in a crazy place -- I fit right in
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  12:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am ready to try fair isle. I think I have actually done the technique with 2 colors and big shapes, but I really want to try something more interesting with it.
In the past year and a half I have learned a lot. I did cables last year in early fall. So easy, I was surprised. Early this year, at Winter Olympic time, I jumped head first into lace. That was another thing that was surprisingly easy. I learned to felt and I learned to make two socks at a time, toe-up, on two circulars. That last one counts for 3 things since I hadn't done any of that before that endeavor. I did a bit of designing and loved the things I came up with. I have been working on a very long illusion scarf through the year. I estimate another week and a half or two weeks, provided all the Christmas craziness doesn't get in the way any more than it already has. It will be around 8 feet long, which I think is so far my biggest knit item.
So, fair isle is about the one thing I can think of that I haven't really played with. That, and modular knitting. I would like to try that too. It really doesn't seem tough. I just haven't had any projects with it that I just have to make.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]

Not all Dumbs are Blonde.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page