Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 How Do You SSK?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knitree
Seriously Hooked

688 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  9:29:33 PM  Show Profile Send knitree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've tried several different versions of SSK over the years. What is your favorite?

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...

zepherine
Chatty Knitter

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  10:09:54 PM  Show Profile Send zepherine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the method I learned from EZ in Knitting Around. She credits Dee Barrington: slip as if to knit, slip as if to purl, then knit the two together as usual.

~Christina
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  01:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto Christina. I do the same. =)

========================
Ruth's Knitterly Things
Ruth's FO Gallery
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  02:45:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit through the front of the first stitch and the back of the
second. No slipping or flipping. Instructional pictures here:
http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com/2006/12/slipping-and-sliding-go-away.html

Come visit my blog...
http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

zepherine
Chatty Knitter

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  03:36:30 AM  Show Profile Send zepherine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know that one, fleegle. Will have to try it out!
~Christina
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  06:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
maybe its in the way I hold my yarn, but I do the standard slip as if to knit, slip as if to knit, knit them together through back loop by inserting left needle into front of stitches. this maneuver is easy to execute and looks great to me. after practicing a bit, I can do this faster and smoother than the standard K2tog. I've tried the slip/knit, slip/purl, knit tog but this is very awkward for me and I can't see that it looks as good as my way.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1460 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  06:36:10 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
slip as if to knit, slip as if to knit, insert left needle from right to left. This is what Lucy Neatby teaches. I learned it this fall and it is now my favorite. Practice, it feels akward for awhile.
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  07:21:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do it by not doing it at all. Instead, I nearly always substitute "s1, k1, psso." For me, it's faster and less awkward and it ends up with the stitches in exactly the same orientation, so it's a perfect substitute.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  07:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find discussions like this fascinating.

I use the method EZ advocated, and I find it to be one of my absolute favorite things to do while knitting. It reminds me of a contra dance move I really love to do.

Join the KR Webring: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Support our Yarniversal charities: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Read poetry, silly: http://www.crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  09:25:24 AM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I'm paying attention and thinking ahead, I wrap the two stitches that will be involved in the SSK in the opposite way on the prior row, and then when I get to them I just knit them together through the back loops because they're already sitting in the orientation they'd be in if they'd been slipped as if to knit. If I haven't thought that much ahead, I slip each as if to knit and then put the left needle in and knit them together.

When I was a fairly new knitter, I used to do the thing where the first one is slipped knitwise and the second purlwise, but that twists the stitch underneath -- I can often see it and always know it's there, and I haaaaaaaaaaate it. I don't ever do that anymore.
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  4:05:41 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I slip as if to purl, slip as if to knit, insert left needlethrough the front of the stitches and ktbl.

Nothing gives me quite so much joy as when people tell me that they have had their pets spayed or neutered - Bob Barker
Go to Top of Page

FLknitter
Chatty Knitter

316 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  1:38:07 PM  Show Profile Send FLknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad someone posted this! I'm working on my first lace shawl and I hate doing the SSK! I was think "there should be an easier way to do this", but I couldn't figure out how. Being a fairly new knitter, I should have thought to post about it! Thanks for all the great answers!
Go to Top of Page

Knitfool
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  1:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Knitfool a Yahoo! Message Send Knitfool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How would you do it when you knit continental style?
I normally just knit two together through the back of the stitches with the same result.
I have also tried to slip 2 as of to knit but keep getting a looser first stich that way.
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  3:07:12 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wcwittmann, I do the same as you describe. It was the only way I could do it without dropping stitches. I knit continental too. I haven't noticed any difference in the results from doing it this way. C.
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  5:03:07 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do the ssk the same way you do it. slip 1 knit wise, slip 1 knit wise, slip left hand needle into the two stitches on the right needle and knit2tog. < That is my favorite way to do it.

Although I can also do the slip one knitwise, knit one, and pass the slipped stitch over.

The only difference I can see is the direction the stitches are going in. Very discrect. Usually you need a left and right hand mittent side by side to see the difference and even then it is hard to tell
scraffan aka Karen
Go to Top of Page

knitree
Seriously Hooked

688 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  12:07:09 AM  Show Profile Send knitree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just tried Fleegle's method and it is so easy I want to jump up and down for joy! I also used to do the slip both as if to knit and really liked it but then "someone" told me that was wrong, so I switched to slip to knit, slip to purl, but do find it a little awkward (i.e., I have to think about it). I've never tried wrapping on the prior row but will on the next appropriate pattern. What a creative bunch!!

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...
Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  2:33:26 PM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procrastiknitter

I slip as if to purl, slip as if to knit, insert left needlethrough the front of the stitches and ktbl.

I don't understand why you would do this. If you slip the first stitch purlwise, you are not changing its orientation. Therefore, when you knit the stitches together through the back, the first stitch, which is the one that ends up on top and is therefore the visible one, ends up twisted. This is going to give you the same visual effect as k2tog-tbl, except with a slight possibility that it will be looser since the underneath stitch isn't getting twisted. The reason for doing SSK instead of k2tog-tbl is so that the top stitch is not twisted; the better appearance compensates for the extra time spent re-orienting the stitches. By slipping the first stitch purlwise and the second knitwise, one is still spending the extra time, but not getting the benefit of improved appearance. I don't see the point.

(For those who may be following along and not familiar with the look of k2tog-tbl vs. SSK, you can see both knitted up here.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe