Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Your favorite knitting books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wolverine Librarian
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  4:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolverine Librarian's Homepage Send Wolverine Librarian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are some of you favorite knitting books, you know, the one's you either carry in your bag or look at on a regular basis?

Since I am a beginning knitter some of my favorite books right now tend to be technique related but here is my list.

Stitch and B*itch by Debbie Stoller
(The book that helped learn how to really knit my first successful project came from this book)

The Knitter's book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie Wiseman (Helped me piece my first sweater)

The Knitting Answer Book... by Margaret Radcliffe
(Stays in my knitting bag I will not leave home without it if there's any chance of knitting)

Not your Mama's Knitting ... by Heather Dixon
(In the same vein as stitch and b*itch but better coverage of binding off methods and more on pattern alternatives. There is a yummy project for a knitted lace cardigan with alternate pattern for a matching dress.)

Vogue knitting The Ultimate Knitting Book by Vogue Patterns (Also stays in the Knitting Bag)

I have the first three volumes of the Vogue Stitchionary mostly for reference for intructions for stitch patterns.

So what are some of your favorites?

"Not all who wander are lost"

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  5:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wolverine, I'm drawn to inspiration books with a range of unique patterns to spur on the creativity. Tonight I'm pouring over the Stitchonaries trying to figure out how to wed lace with multicolor knitting. My eyes are crossing (with little picot edgings along the lids). My all-time favorite knitting book is still Kaffe Fasset's Glorious Color.

Jane
http://www.janethornley.com/
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  5:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one I pull off the shelf most often for reference is Stanley's The Knitter's Handbook.

For inspiration, all of Nikky Epstein's and Barbara Walker's books.

For lace, A Gathering of Lace by Meg Swansen and Sharon Miller's Heirloom Knitting

For just plain old good knit-centric reading, Elizabeth Zimmerman's books.

If I had to pick one to take with me, it would probably be Stanley's book. But I hope I never have to make that choice!

Come visit my blog...
http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  5:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Vogue Knitting is the first on my list.

Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns and the Handy Book of Sweaters

I have two sets of Stitch dictionaries, the Vogue Stitchioary set (all three) and the Harmony Guides.

Maggie Reghetti's Sweater Design in Plain English and my EZ collection

I have lots of other pattern collection and technique books that I love, but these are the most used.

Catherine Harrison
owner of Knitting Notions:Kettle Dyed yarns, Hardwood yarn swifts and more
http://www.knittingnotionsonline.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  5:51:19 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite is still Principles of Knitting (out of print) and not one you'd carry around unless an extra 10 lbs in your knitting bag is okay. But, it's my best reference book for knitting know-how. I also use Vogue and Stanley's Knitters Handbook as well as Maggie Righetti's books.
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  6:25:58 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barbara Walker's Stitch Treasury books have provided me with endless hours of entertainment and quite a few nice shawls of my own design. They are also full of good information on technique. Absolutely essential if you think you will ever want to do lace or aran cable knitting.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  7:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed about A Gathering of Lace (and Victorian Lace Today, which may actually turn out to be closer to my ideal lace book than the first--we'll see how it looks in a year). I don't knit much lace compared to some, but I can open these time and again and want to knit nearly everything (and I'm really, really, really picky. And a little bit vicious ;).

Definitely The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques. I don't literally carry this everywhere, but it's close.

Knitting from the Top, absolutely. There's something about her descriptions that just works for my style. Sparse, sure, but her explanations of shaping just work for me.

Knitting Without Tears. It's a classic for a reason.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

Diane in Boston
Chatty Knitter

106 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  7:09:53 PM  Show Profile Send Diane in Boston a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know why, but I hate the Montise Stanley book. It seems more complicated than many of the other technique books that I've looked at or some of the information on the Internet.

I love the Barbara Walker books and the Harmony stitch dictionaries and often read them before I go to sleep, which is a bad idea because they stimulate my brain rather than quiets it. I also like The Principles of Knitting which I have out of the library right now. The Maggie Righetti books are fun to read and full of common sense wisdom.

I keep taking books out of the library and have found a number of old books that have interesting sections on particular topics even though the book as a whole may be dated. I also find patterns in old books that are very interesting and could be adapted to more modern shapes.

For lace knitting, I like Victorian Lace Today, though I'm not crazy about knitting some of the patterns, even though they are beautiful, because they are too repetitive. I also like A Gathering of Lace, Folk Shawls, and Lace Knitting (out of print, though available from the library).

I also appreciate all the information available on the Internet, both on sites like Knittinghelp.com and on lists like this.
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  7:36:24 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In line with what Diane was saying, Mary Thomas' Knitting Book which was first published back in the 1930's (I think) and is still in print is a marvelous book with lots of historical information plus helpful tips on how to make many different articles of knitting clothing. No patterns per se but lots of helpful information.
Go to Top of Page

knitree
Seriously Hooked

688 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  9:35:33 PM  Show Profile Send knitree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting Tips and Trade Secrets from Threads Magazine has provided lots of good information over the years. Vogue Knitting is great. Sally Melville's Knit book has come in handy at times. I don't carry any of them with me, but do usually have a copy of Interweave Knits magazine pretty close at hand, and I use the internet alot ~ Knitty and this forum in particular.

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  10:46:32 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EZ's books are full of tips and fun to read. So are Maggie Righetti's, even though she talks nonsense sometimes. "Bäuerliches Stricken" by Lisl Fanderl is my favorite collection of Bavarian-style lace patterns. Kaffee Fassett gives me ideas for colorwork, Elsebeth Lavold for cables, Alice Starmore for both.
Go to Top of Page

stellal
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
956 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  11:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit stellal's Homepage Send stellal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
choose one, I can't but anything by EZ, the pricilla gibson roberts, knitting sweaters in the old way, and Montse stanley, plus my Mary thomas (I am lucky enough to have a vintage one 1938), my Ida Riley Duncan (vintage again 1966). all of these have a common theme - they details how to knit sweaters according to measurements and percentages.
for inspiration - PCR again, Poems of color on Bohus sweaters, and a narrow but chock full paper back with 1800 different stitch patterns.

Stella

I used to follow patterns, now I just make my own up as i go. Most times life is to short to read other peoples instructions - other times I really really wish I had. And my almost new blog www.Knitknitfrog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FluffyKnitterDeb
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  11:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit FluffyKnitterDeb's Homepage Send FluffyKnitterDeb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty surprised no one's mentioned my favorite for knitting techniques, The Big Book of Knitting by Katherina Buss! Great pictures, easy to follow explanations and tons of info without weighing 10 pounds! I love Nancy Weisman's Finishing Techniques too!

For socknitting, if you have a copy of Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks and Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks you'll be set for life! :)

Debi

Fluffy Knitters are well rounded :)
Read my blog at http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4376 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  04:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At last count I had more than 70 knitting books that I've collected over the past 25 years. When I first made the count, I wondered about my sanity, but just about all of them serve a good purpose, whether it's practical or inspirational.

I use Barbara Walker's 1st and 2nd Treasuries the most, and Nancie Wiseman's finishing book, and beyond that I still find a reason to have almost all of the books on my shelf. Mary Thomas is a delight, and Ann Budd's books are handy. Martha Waterman made lace make sense to me, and I love Charlene Schurch's sock book.

I think I have to stop now, before I get lost in the stacks...

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

morningglory
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  05:06:50 AM  Show Profile Send morningglory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great question! I love Sarah Dallas' books (working on socks from 'Scottish Inspirations' now, simple lines, almost Japanese-like deconstruction, love it! I love, too Debbie Bliss, I'm doing several of her designs from the "Cotton Angora" book..No one makes me want to knit for kids (and mine are big now!) like her. I might be in the minority here, but I do like artful photography and interesting designs..I do like the Rowan Magazines.
Go to Top of Page

Willi
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  05:22:16 AM  Show Profile Send Willi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barbara Walker's Treasury and Afghan book for the patterns. Elizabeth Zimmermann's books especially Knitting Without Tears and I love Wendy Johnson's Wendy Knits. It has some great patterns.

Willi from Batavia
Go to Top of Page

Shknitz
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  06:25:22 AM  Show Profile Send Shknitz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I first started knitting, my LYS owner recommended Knitting Pretty, by Kris Percival. I found this book to be very easy to read and unintimidating for a new knitter. Everything in the book felt "doable" to me. The pictures are beautiful as well.

Other than that, I think having more than one reference book is important in case you can't understand the diagram or what is written in one of them. I like the Vogue reference, Stitch and B@#$%, and believe it or not, Knitting for Dummies as well.
Go to Top of Page

ValerieG
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  06:46:08 AM  Show Profile Send ValerieG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorites are any of the Alice Starmore books. I use her fair-isle knitting books alot and I love the 'knitting for men'
Valerie
Go to Top of Page

Willi
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  06:49:08 AM  Show Profile Send Willi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barbara Walker's Treasury and Afghan book for the patterns. Elizabeth Zimmermann's books especially Knitting Without Tears and I love Wendy Johnson's Wendy Knits. It has some great patterns.

Willi from Batavia
Go to Top of Page

nwilson02
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  06:58:35 AM  Show Profile Send nwilson02 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have that many knitting books since I live in a RV full-time and my space is very restricted so all the books I have are my favorites. However, The Knitters Companion by Vicki Square is my constant companion. It goes whereever I go packed in my knitting bag.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

simpleknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  07:33:14 AM  Show Profile Send simpleknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hiatt's Principles of Knitting has EVERYTHING you ever needed to know. second is the Knit Stitch (great photo's). the first is scarce. the second is in print and likely to remain so.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?