Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Your favorite knitting books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

knitloon
Gabber Extraordinaire

524 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  07:57:46 AM  Show Profile Send knitloon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I learned to knit from Sally Melville's series "The Knitting Experience". They're still great references. The spiral bound "Knitter's Companion" stays permanently in my knitting bag. I have a LARGE collection of knitting books, and I wouldn't give up any of them.

View my projects at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knitloon/
Go to Top of Page

sdh2
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  08:02:18 AM  Show Profile Send sdh2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have to agree with Katherine Buss book and the Nancie Wiseman "Finishing Techniques." Carry that one with me all the time. Love Knitting Without Tears. My New Year's resolution is to improve my knitting techniques, so I am reading these two carefully and trying to concentrate more when I knit. Interesting to see that most of the books mentioned have been around awhile; stood the test of time.

Go to Top of Page

queen of the east
Seriously Hooked

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  08:05:46 AM  Show Profile Send queen of the east a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have quite a few knitting books in my library but the ones I use most frequently for reference are:
Odhams Encyclopaedia of Knitting by James Norbury and Margaret Agutter
This book published in 1957 originally belong to my Mum. It is a very useful book filled with technical instructions, stitch patterns and basic sweater patterns.

Barbara Walkers book's for stitch pattern ideas. Also Traditional Knitting Patterns by James Norbury

For Inspiration, The Art of Knitting by Francoise Tellier-Loumagne. A visually stunning book that never fails to spark my imagination.

For Lace knitting I like Heirloom Knitting by Sharon Miller.

Ann in Montreal
Go to Top of Page

suzanne kinnear
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  09:17:05 AM  Show Profile Send suzanne kinnear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have knitting for over 40 years, and rarely consulted a book, till I bought The Knit Stitch by Sally Melville. I bought that one simply because I wanted to knint the Einstein coat. Anyway, the diagrams and directions are very clear and easy to folllow. A beginning knitter (even an experienced knitter like me) can also benefit from The Purl Stitch by Sally Melville. They are each about $20.00 at your LYS and less from Amazon.

suzanne kinnear
Go to Top of Page

srbrodeur@verizon.net
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  09:21:56 AM  Show Profile Send srbrodeur@verizon.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorites is Vogue Knitting with good illustrations, but another real favorite is Katherine Buss' Big Book of Knitting which is really explicit with photos, especially of some more advanced techniques.

NoŽlle
Go to Top of Page

stitchellen
Warming Up

58 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  09:38:27 AM  Show Profile Send stitchellen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I learned to knit in 1940. My favorite knitting books are by Barbara Walker and Elizabeth Zimmerman. Although I have a large library of books, they generally serve as eye candy for me.
Go to Top of Page

Caffeinated
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  09:40:56 AM  Show Profile Send Caffeinated a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still a beginner (I guess "advanced beginner" would be correct?) and a book that I use a lot, when I need to learn something new, is a book called "Teach Yourself Visually: Knitting and Crocheting" -- this book (I think there is a series that teaches all kinds of things in this matter, much like the "dummies" books) relies on a very large number of detailed photographs, showing everything step-by-step... for some of us, it's much easier than trying to decipher the usual diagrams. I found it very helpful for learning things like YO and such! :-)

L
Go to Top of Page

ladonnabubak
New Pal

31 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  09:56:31 AM  Show Profile Send ladonnabubak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been knitting a couple years, mostly small stuff, and still reference Sally Melville's Knit Stitch and SNB, usually for specific techniques I don't know by heart. I also have the Knitter's Companion but have found I hardly use it because half of what I look up isn't in there. Usually find it in SNB.

http://nautiknitter.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

gcbriden
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  10:15:05 AM  Show Profile Send gcbriden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I consider myself an advanced knitter, I occasionally delve into my "library" of kntting books. But, when I do, the first one I go to is "The Principles of Knitting". I could not carry it in my knitting bag but I do most of my researching right here in my knitting room which also has my computer for research.
Go to Top of Page

conchobara
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  11:42:09 AM  Show Profile Send conchobara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My very favorite is Vogue knitting The Ultimate Knitting Book by Vogue Patterns. I have used this for cast-ons and cast-offs a dozen times (still have to consult it whenever I do a tubular cast on), stitch patterns, and just about any kind of reference. It is simply the best. In fact, last week a newish knitter friend of mine asked me to recommend the best reference book I could think of. Guess what she ended up buying?
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen-NYC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  12:08:46 PM  Show Profile Send Kathleen-NYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite is always the latest one I bought. It's the new koigu book.

After that:

1. Dazzling Knits - and the several other modular knitting books I have.

2. Sally Melville's 3 Knitting Experience books.

All of these are currently stacked on the coffee table.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  12:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book I've used the most? The Knitter's Handbook: Essential Skills and Helpful Hints from Knitter's Magazine. I just really like how the information is provided in it. I also like Knitting Rules! by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee and The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie Wiseman for technique questions.

For inspiration, I like Nicky Epstein's Knitting on the Edge and Meg Swansen's A Gathering of Lace. I'd love to get the Stitchionary books, as well.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

jandgbert
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  1:14:23 PM  Show Profile Send jandgbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a very extensive knitting library, but this summer I purchased THE KNITTING ANSWER BOOK by Margaret Radcliffe and have used it rather extensively. In fact I do carry it in my knitting bag.
Go to Top of Page

ArtLady
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  1:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtLady's Homepage Send ArtLady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I could only keep one "HOW TO" book...it would be:
The Knitter's book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie Wiseman

When I travel, and can only take one reference book, it is:
The Knitter's book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie Wiseman

BECAUSE:
1) The diagrams are easy to understand and follow!
2) Being smallish in size, the book is easy to take along, and not too heavy.

Art Lady
Go to Top of Page

meme527
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  1:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit meme527's Homepage  Send meme527 a Yahoo! Message Send meme527 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barbara Walker.

Montse Stanley.

Nicky Epstein.

in that order....:)

music: http://www.myspace.com/cecilejohns
photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/memececile
writing:
http://people.tribe.net/memececile
Go to Top of Page

natrs_410@hotmail.com
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  1:37:00 PM  Show Profile Send natrs_410@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework. THe knitting section has good illustrations/photos and desriptions/explanations.

Knitter's Companion is the one that stays in my project bag.

I also like the condensed version of the Vogue Knitting: The ultimate knitting book and the Knitting answer book.

I'm relatively new to knitting and rely on the how-to type books a lot.
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

LadySpring
Chatty Knitter

127 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  3:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit LadySpring's Homepage Send LadySpring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got Barbara Walker's Fourth Treasury and I really like it but I haven't used it for anything yet. That book along with the Stitchionary series and Nicky Epstein's books are great for inspiration. I find that I'm doing more of my own designs now as opposed to patterns from books. For technique, I like Nancy Wiseman's book and The Knitter's Bible. The Art of Knitting Book that queen of the east mentioned is beautiful and fantastic for inspiration, even though it focuses primarily on knitting machine designs. I use all the books in my knitting library fairly frequently, either to find inspiration or to pass the time, so it's hard for me to say which I like the most or use most frequently.

Knittin' harmony,
Erika

Knitters know a good yarn or two...
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  5:27:05 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
365 Days of Stitches Calander. (For general ideas)
For fun Meditation for Women Who Knit too much by Stephie McPhereson aka The Yarn Harlot
Books that inspire Poems of Color By Wendy Keele (Bohus knitting)
and then there are my favorite magazines (Won't get into those now)
Which one would I want to take? Can't I just take them all with me? They are all small and portable
scraffan
Go to Top of Page

KnittingCommuter
Chatty Knitter

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  5:41:19 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingCommuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I own the Stitch and bee-hotch by Debbie Stoller, the Vogue Ultimate Knitting Compendium and Nancy Wiseman's Knitters Book of Finishing Techniques and refer to all constantly. I also have Montse Stanley's book and agree with Diane from Boston -- I do not like this book. It has yet to solve a problem for me when I am looking for something. Don't own an Elizabeth Zimmermann yet, but would definitely like to add one to my small collection.

Ducky's Mom
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  5:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe I've had the most inspiration and use out of Barbara Walker's Second Treasury. All her books are the first ones I go to for fun viewing and scanning and looking for design inspiration. There is a special place in my heart for Newton's "Designing Knitwear" because it gave me the confidence to design away.

Arctic-mermaid
http://www.flickr.com/photos/MermaidKnits/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by