Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Dry and Cracking fingers and cuticles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

nwilson02
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  06:42:15 AM  Show Profile Send nwilson02 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In December I decided to use up a lot of my 1 and 2 skein stashes and knit hats as gifts for friends. I had some Lamb's Pride, Lopi Lite and some superwash wool that had been hanging around for years and it was either use it or give it away. But since I started my fingers are in horrible shape. They are very dry on the tips and my cuticles are cracking and very painful. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you solve it? Please don't say stop knitting. Help! ! !

Nancy

knitterbug1023
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  06:58:45 AM  Show Profile Send knitterbug1023 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion. It's non-greasy (though it does leave your hands feeling greasy--it won't make your yarn greasy).

Robin

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.-- Augusten Burroughs
Go to Top of Page

calmmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

533 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  07:04:56 AM  Show Profile Send calmmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got to use lots of tricks this time of year to keep your hands soft:)

I put chapstick on my cuticles every morning. I have a cheap one in the and I put it on, as I drive to work. I rub it into the cuticles.

I also like a scrub of seasalt and massage oil. Make up a jar, dip your fingers in (maybe a teaspoon or more), rub hands thoroughly, and rinse. Removes the stubbles and dry skin around your cuticles.

These tips are in addition to regular hand cream. I keep a pump on my desk, next to the kitchen sink, next to my bed...
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  07:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a product from Bluer Sky Alpacas that is a great balm. Here is a link; http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlinegen/currgen/BlueSkyAlpacas/KnittersLittleHelper.asp

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Tropical Knits
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  08:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my trick:
Before bedtime, I put triple antibiotic ointment (the greasy stuff) and a bandaid on the cuticles that are looking ragged. It's amazing how much they heal during the night!

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  09:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Burt's Bees makes a nice lemon cuticle butter. The Body Shop makes a nice almond cuticle butter as well. I use these when I do my nails but sometimes rub a little into my skin as well after knitting. They're both very nice.

My sassy knitting blog is here: http://www.rubyplaid.com
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  09:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Udderly Smooth Udder Cream. It's inexpensive (under $2.00/regular size at Wal*Mart or $1.00/tiny size at Dollar Tree) and specifically formulated to eliminate dry, cracking skin on dairy cows' udders. It's non-greasy and won't leave a residue on your yarn. I get the one in the tube rather than the bottle because it's murder to get out of the bottle and the tube is more portable.

If your hands are really bad a coating of petroleum jelly and a pair of white cotton gloves or socks overnight will work wonders!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  10:28:38 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Burts Bees lemon balm for the cuticles (I really notice if I stop using it for a few days) and Aveda's Hand Relief. I don't know if Aveda is available easily outside Minnesota so here's the website. http://www,aveda,com My next choice is the Gold Bond product already mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  10:28:40 AM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Queen of Cracked Cuticles and Dry Hands' Best Skin Treatments

1. A&D Ointment. Often it's kept in the baby section of the store. It's 15% lanolin and really soaks into the skin and the microcrystalline wax provides a protective barrier on the skin. Granted, it is thick and greasy, especially if you apply it too generously, but the lanolin seems to feel more natural than do mineral oils. Use A&D with the white glove treatment when you need an industrial-strength treatment.

2. Red Fox Cocoa Butter Creme is good grease too, though it seems to have less lanolin than A&D. Vaseline is similar and about as good.

3. Liquid Skin Oils -- Africa's Best Herbal Oil. Neutrogena Sesame Oil. Mink Oil is another nice feeling oil that absorbs and protects, but is difficult to find.

4. Revlon Night Cuticle Creme. All the cosmetic companies make cuticle creams, but the Revlon formulation includes beeswax.

5. Use your favorite hand lotion twice as often as you normally do.

Go to Top of Page

knitting_wounded
Gabber Extraordinaire

365 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  11:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitting_wounded's Homepage  Send knitting_wounded a Yahoo! Message Send knitting_wounded a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing that's really worked for me has been the new Extra Care Healing Hand Cream from Johnson & Johnson. It even keeps me from biting my nails!

Check out the Knitting Wounded Tent: http://knittingwounded.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HilaryL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  11:58:24 AM  Show Profile Send HilaryL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just bought Vaseline Intensive Care Healthy Hand & Nail to try, because their regular lotion works better for me than anything else. My husband had taken a close-up picture of my hand holding my knitting and I was horrified! So far so good. I also use Blistek on my fingertips (though not right before I knit) and Liquid Bandaid when the cracks are very bad.

edited to add: I don't think I'd recommend the Vaseline HH&N - it doesn't seem as effective even as the regular Intensive Care. I'm going to try some of these other recommendations, though ...

http://hilaryknitstoo.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nwilson02
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  5:27:33 PM  Show Profile Send nwilson02 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help. I bought some Dr. Watkins cuticle creme today and I hope it works. I've tried the neosporin and I use heavy duty hand cream several times during the day. I'll keep you posted about the creme I bought today.
Go to Top of Page

PuppyMomma
Chatty Knitter

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  5:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit PuppyMomma's Homepage Send PuppyMomma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been using Everything Balm from GoodiesUnlimited.com. It helps, but I also deal with a lot of paper, so I'm kind of fighting an uphill battle.

One of my friends is a manicurist, and she told me not to use commercial hand cremes more than 2 or 3 times a day. Most of them have alcohol in them, and that dries out your skin if used too often.

www.funkyjewtopia.com

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  6:46:37 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one mentioned my favorite remedy for cracks or hangnails - super glue. I bought the brush-on type, but some with a tiny applicator tip works just as well. For cracks, hold the skin together, glue, and let dry before you let go. Painful cracked cuticles - try to push into place before the glue dries. You can still use those healing lotions, but this really eliminates the pain, and by the time the glue wears off in a few days, it's healed. I also use this for paper cuts - works like a dream. Of course, you always make sure your hands are clean before you start, and try not to get it on your other fingers!

This is what many ER's do instead of stitches on the face. I guess it causes less scarring.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

knittingmama
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  8:00:12 PM  Show Profile Send knittingmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heal My Hands. It's a solid balm in a tin--looks like a round cake of soap. Warm it in your hands and rub in. Love to use it right before bed.

http://www.thneedfulthings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  07:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, Heal My Hands. Made by a spinner. Only thing I use.

If you need heavy duty help, load up on HMH, and slip some gloves on. Silk gloves are best, or cotton, but you can wear plastic medical gloves if need be. Hubby did this and slept with the gloves on - Aside from the funky feeling of rubber gloves on your nose at 3am, he loved the results, hands softened up a lot.

Of course, up your water intake - If your skin is dry, you're not drinking enough water :)

Dagny of The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
Work - http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Life - http://www.aLifeAutistic.com
Go to Top of Page

Mama Bear
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  08:24:47 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Bear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In addition to water, you may want to consider upping your omega3 oils. When the body is low in these, the skin and hair show it first as the body tries and retains the omega 3 oils for the heart and essential organs.

There are some studies that appear to be well done, that also indicate low omega 3's can play a role in depression, and seem to be particularly helpful for post-partum depression.

Taking a bath or handsoak with epsom salts is an excellent way to soften up the skin and shed the dry skin.

Mama Bear

[img]http://beartoes.com/images/bearbutton.jpg[/img]
My Blog:www.beartoes.com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  08:30:41 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually use a product called Hoof-Alive on my cuticles. It works wonders. Yes you can use it on the horse's hoof but my feed store sells it to the women for their cuticles.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

simpleknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  9:48:01 PM  Show Profile Send simpleknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Udderly smooth is great stuff. get it at trader joe's for best price. we buy the big jars and fill smaller containers with it.
Go to Top of Page

convmiller@verizon.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  10:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit convmiller@verizon.net's Homepage Send convmiller@verizon.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use this thing called Gardeners 60 second fix kit from Crabtree & Evelyn. There's a sea salt kind of scrub that you use first with a moisturizer in it. Then the lotion! It's a shea butter base, it's not greasy, and it smells like rosemary. I couldn't get through the winter without it. I keep the lotion in all of my knitting bags.
Go to Top of Page

loretteirene@comcast.net

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  10:50:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit loretteirene@comcast.net's Homepage Send loretteirene@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's what I use. I make it up in a huge batch, and put it in a tupperware container with a lid when it's cool. I save little tea tins and put it in smaller containers to carry around. It's similar to Burt's Beas products. I do it in the microwave, and generally use half olive oil and half almond or jojoba oil. I vary the essential oil, but usually use some combo of rosemary, lavender, and eucalyptus, adding it a few drops at a time until it smells right. (Not really rocket science!)

http://www.socknitters.com/Tips/handcream.htm

Lorette
The Knitting Doctor
http://mousepotato.typepad.com/knittingdoctor/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000