Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting in public
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

craftyjuliet
New Pal

32 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  4:25:50 PM  Show Profile Send craftyjuliet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! My encounter with the occasional observer last night went like this:

Last night I met with my regular SnB group. We had just wrapped up a conversation about how people approach you when you are knitting in public and immediately say stupid things like: "I could never do that" or "I don't have the patience" or "when do you find the time?", etc. Less than two minutes later a woman approached our group. At first it was harmless, you know, the normal, "Oh what are you making?!" and "Do you meet here regularly?" and (my personal favorite) "are you all a friends?" (I would like to say, No, we all hate each other, but we like to knit.)

Anyway, then the conversation took a turn for the worse. She starts in about how she just doesn't understand how we have the time or patience to be knitting. We all looked at each other and a few of us smirked. Then, she looked down at me and saw what I was doing and exclaimed, "You're doing that wrong!" She was referring to my technique.

Now, I was actually working on some crochet at the time and apparently, I insert my hook into my work differently than she does. Oh, AND I'm left-handed. She went on to comment that I do it BACKWARDS. And she just couldn't believe what I was doing!

Well, I bit my tongue. But the nerve of some people!

I love to knit (or crochet) in public, but sometimes the strangers who approach you just make you wonder! Anyway, we all got a good laugh out of her after she left.

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  4:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow, some nerve! Don't you hate when you think of all the gutsy things you could have said once it's too late to say them? LOL! That's how it usually is for me anyway.

Catherine Harrison
owner of Knitting Notions:Kettle Dyed yarns, Hardwood yarn swifts and more
http://www.knittingnotionsonline.com
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  5:40:05 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She must not have been too bright to antagonize a group of women with sharp needles in their hands!

Susan
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  6:51:19 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not just non-knitters who make "stupid" comments. I was kipping a sock at the library today and I had two knitters say to me, "I love to knit, but I don't know how you have the patience for socks! It looks like you're knitting with toothpicks!"

I had to laugh...I had just finished a sandwich that had one of those frilly toothpicks holding it together...and as I pulled it out of the sandwich, I thought about how much it looked like my dpns. But I did explain to both of them how simple, quick and portable socks are. Then I told them about the (relatively) new LYS and the classes they have.

I must admit, it is easier to sell sock knitting to knitters than to sell knitting to non knitters, though!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  7:24:26 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We had a situation similar to that during a SnB at a Starbucks; I said in the sweetest, phoniest school marm voice I could muster "Well, dear, surely someday you'll be clever enough to figure it all out" I don't think she clued in for a minute or two until she looked back, leaving the shop LOL.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  7:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit everywhere and anywhere pretty much. If I have to sit, or stand, while waiting.....I knit. If I'm not knitting and have to wait around; I go jogging around the block. I'm bad, I live in running and fitness attire[blush] because of the nature of my work as a Physiotherapist/Athletic Trainer.

Anyhoo, I think the worse comment anyone made at me while I was knitting is when I was waiting in line with my husband and kids. We were waiting to go thru airport security (I was sitting on my carry on knitting) when this "man" commented to my husband:

"That's good that you keep your wife productive. Keeps them out of trouble."

[**][:-P] The only thing I could do was to give him a very deadly stare. Ahem, if only my kids weren't there....I could've showed him how "sharp my productive points" were.

Elsie W[meow]
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  7:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have looked at him and just pointed one at him, Elsie! What nerve...I love Mokey's response. I'm going to have to steal that one. I am so over the whole "Oh what are you crocheting" line.

Yesterday I had a dr's appt, and was using size 11 dpn's. The nurses and employeees were like "Sheesh! That is some hardcore knitting!" The one lady was a new knitter and said she wouldn't be able to do that ever. She about crapped when I told her I'd been knitting about 12 months. Hahahaha...

I have to admit, knitting a cat bed publicly DOES tend to contribute to the crazy old lady with 40 cats theory, even though I'm only 30.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  9:00:18 PM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit in public a lot and I don't think anybody has ever said anything so rude to me. They've mainly been curious. Kids are fascinated by it (except my own kid of course, who has ZERO interest ... it's one of Mama's Lovable but Totally Nutty Quirks). Older people get all nostalgic and it opens the door to all kinds of strange but interesting conversations. I used to be a gerontologist, and I guess I still carry that "aura" or something because I'm always getting into conversations with older people.

I guess I probably used to think the same thing about socks ("looks like you're knitting with toothpicks, I could never do that") but I don't think I ever SAID it to anybody. And if I did - rest assured that it was admiration, not a judgment of insanity. It got me to start knitting socks, too.

Rachel - you need a more portable project, honey. Ever tried socks? ;-)
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  9:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, it fits in a freezer size Ziploc, believe it or not! If I can squish it in there, it's going...It's only 144 stitches! LOL

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  07:21:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't normally take these kinds of comments badly. I think some people believe knitting is super hard and they sincerely believe they lack the skill or patience to do it. I like to encourage people since I think most approach me because they are interested and secretly want to be able to knit.

As far as other knitters go, I take the same tack. We can really encourage one another to branch out of our comfort zones and try something new. Encouragment from a fellow knitter got me over my fear of fair isle.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Tropical Knits
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

calmmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

533 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  08:24:00 AM  Show Profile Send calmmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And just imagine how annoying she must be to her family, if she would approah complete strangers with such an attitude!
Go to Top of Page

Knittlin
Warming Up

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  08:47:29 AM  Show Profile Send Knittlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the same way, Bonnie ~ that either they honestly think they can't do it, or that they're ingratiating themselves a bit to break the ice in order to start a conversation. I take it as a bit of a compliment in that they would do that, put themselves down so to speak, because they want to talk to me so badly. LOL! But mostly I think they're just bored and want to talk to someone, so say the first thing that pops into their heads. I mean, we are waiting for something or else I wouldn't have time to knit myself. I was just more prepared than they were. Heehee!

If I find myself not wanting to talk to people, I'll wear a pair of headphones, even if I don't want to listen to anything ~ nobody else knows those headphones aren't plugged into anything if you make sure the end is anchored securely so it doesn't come out of your knitting bag. *snicker*

~ Linda ~

Love thy neighbor ... and if he happens to be tall, debonair and devastating, it will be that much easier. ~ Mae West
Go to Top of Page

knitting_wounded
Gabber Extraordinaire

365 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  12:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitting_wounded's Homepage  Send knitting_wounded a Yahoo! Message Send knitting_wounded a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not just non-knitters that say the darndest things. I met some of my dad's gf's family a few weeks ago. One of her sisters knits like a crazy woman. There are afghans and sweaters and all kinds of knitted goodness practically blanketing the place.

So, she sees the sock I'm working on and says "I don't know how you can knit socks, it looks too hard for me." Since she's family now, I told her "Bologna, if you can do a sweater, you can do socks!"

Check out the Knitting Wounded Tent: http://knittingwounded.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queen of the east
Seriously Hooked

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  09:19:25 AM  Show Profile Send queen of the east a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't help but laugh when people see me knitting on the bus or in a waiting room and say to me" I'd love to do that but I just don't have the time" while they sit there doing nothing for a half hour or more.

Ann in Montreal
Go to Top of Page

HollyMI
New Pal

26 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  12:29:51 PM  Show Profile Send HollyMI a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There has been sooo many times when I have been knitting or crocheting or cross-stitching in public and some idiot has said "I wish I could do that" or "I could never do that" that I have wanted to say I'm sure you aren't as stupid as you think you are. But I have never been brave enough to say it.

Holly
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  1:04:59 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say really "stupid" things to people who build model airplanes or surf or do anything I don't have a clue about. I'm just glad they tolerate me.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  1:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hehehe.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

LadySpring
Chatty Knitter

127 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  2:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit LadySpring's Homepage Send LadySpring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit all the time where I "work"...at a tattoo shop. Talk about strange looks and interesting comments. Customers come in all the time when I'm knitting away and laugh at the juxtaposition between something as "domestic" as knitting and something as "fringe" as tattooing. I knit pretty much everywhere I go and I haven't had too many people say things like "I could never do that," etc. I have many more people ask me what I'm working on and act very interested in what I'm doing instead. Knitting in public is way fun and, if I didn't do it, I wouldn't be able to knit nearly as much as I do.

Knittin' harmony,
Erika

Knitters know a good yarn or two..
My blog: http://writetoknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fiberfollies
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  4:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit fiberfollies's Homepage Send fiberfollies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy the comments when knitting publicly. Older men-including The Husband-often refer to it as sewing. Most folks are genuinely curious and happy to spend some minutes watching and asking about it. Some do claim they've not the time for it, to which I respond that I am a business owner and usually work well over 12 hours daily, plus care for the home and property and critters and social obligations. Rare is the soul who actually has a longer day. Only a few have ever tried to claim they could never learn it. And precisely one person has told me I'm "doing it wrong." I really enjoy knitting in public but wish there were more reactions. Lots of folks slip surreptitious looks, hoping to not be noticed as they try to see what I'm doing. Most folks let me be but more and more are getting to know me and speak with me since they see me in the same places so often. It's a lovely way to meet people once they get over their shyness.

Yes, knitting in public is fun.

FF
Go to Top of Page

Knittlin
Warming Up

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  7:57:51 PM  Show Profile Send Knittlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fiberfollies

I really enjoy the comments when knitting publicly. Older men-including The Husband-often refer to it as sewing.
DH-to-Be is a disabled vet, so we go to the VA clinics and hospitals on a semi-regular basis, and I LOVE the comments and looks I get from the little old men there! I usually end up listening to them talk fondly of their mothers who knitted. When I take my hand spindle, we end up talking about their grandmothers.

quote:
And precisely one person has told me I'm "doing it wrong."
Now if I got a comment like you did there or like Juliet did, I don't think I would take it so kindly. I've already got my comeback for that one though ~ as I unpin three feet of scarf, I'll say "Oh, so you mean this won't keep anyone warm because I did it wrong? Dammit!" *wicked grin*

~ Linda ~

Love thy neighbor ... and if he happens to be tall, debonair and devastating, it will be that much easier. ~ Mae West
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  4:00:03 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't get even half of the more tedious parts of knitted toys done if I didn't knit them while travelling on buses and trains,waiting on platforms, at bus-stops etc. These include arms, legs separate heads etc. I often get asked what I am knitting and their reactions to "dinosaur legs","elephant skirts" or "monkey legs",for example, can be quite amusing !!Happy Knitting - Lucylocket[meow]

My Pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucicat/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.