Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting in public
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

knitting_wounded
Gabber Extraordinaire

365 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  9:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitting_wounded's Homepage  Send knitting_wounded a Yahoo! Message Send knitting_wounded a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I miss my commute knitting. Since I started driving my knitting progress has slowed considerably

Check out the Knitting Wounded Tent: http://knittingwounded.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MissMarple
Chatty Knitter

110 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  2:57:07 PM  Show Profile Send MissMarple a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what do you guys say to the semi-acquaintance when she says, "I wish I had the patinece to do that. I've always wanted to know how." Do you offer to teach her or assume that she's just making conversation. I mean there are things I'd like to learn to do too, but I'm not at a point where I want to put the time in on learning it right now.

As for other comments people make it's usually a positive experience and I really enjoy it. One woman did say, "I can't just sit." I thought, I can't either, that's why I'm knitting. We were sitting in a waiting room at the time!
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

393 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  3:34:25 PM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love to see other people knitting in public although for some unknown reason I rarely do it myself. I nearly always start a conversation and usually ask about the yarn, which is often beautiful. Just last week I saw a woman knitting as we leaving the physical therapy office where I'm going for hand therapy. I asked about the beautiful yarn and found out about a brand I'd never heard of. It's just lovely and I plan to find out if I can get some. She got hers on a trip and commented that she had never seen it in local shops. Knitters always seem to appreciate fellow knitters.
Go to Top of Page

Knittlin
Warming Up

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  09:03:03 AM  Show Profile Send Knittlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissMarple

So what do you guys say to the semi-acquaintance when she says, "I wish I had the patinece to do that. I've always wanted to know how." Do you offer to teach her or assume that she's just making conversation. I mean there are things I'd like to learn to do too, but I'm not at a point where I want to put the time in on learning it right now.

If I know her well enough that I wouldn't mind teaching her, I'll offer to teach her. I make it a point to say something that doesn't back the person into a corner just in case they were simply making conversation, something like, "Well, if you ever find the time to learn, I wouldn't mind teaching you. Just let me know." That'd leave it open for them, so if they're serious they'll take me up on it, but if they're not they don't have to make any excuses.

But if they're not someone I'd really like to spend that much time with, I'd tell them that it wasn't that hard and that there are tons of sites online with videos showing how, or if they're better at learning in person, they might could find a local yarn store that gives classes. Then they can do with that info whatever they want to and have time for.

I've even thought about going so far as printing a few website urls on business card stock to hand out to anyone who expresses an interest. KR would be on there of course, as well as some of those sites with how-to videos. I find myself rattling off KR's url and a couple others whenever I'm kiping and someone asks me about it, but it's a pita to drag out the paper and hunt for a pen. Having them already printed up would be SO much easier!

~ Linda ~

Love thy neighbor ... and if he happens to be tall, debonair and devastating, it will be that much easier. ~ Mae West
Go to Top of Page

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  09:52:47 AM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit in public all the time; my daughters never had a problem with it, and my son has become resigned. At the hockey rinks I'm described as "the one who's always knitting." I've had scores of people ask about the knitting and about a dozen who have asked seriously about learning, but none of them followed up. I did manage to drag a part-time knitter (who had only used acrylics from Wal-Mart) to a LYS and get her hooked on serious yarn, though. Just think -- if each of us enabled just *one* new yarn addict per year, the ranks of knitters would grow exponentially!
Go to Top of Page

Redrobin
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  12:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Redrobin's Homepage Send Redrobin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha, I was working on a pair of ribbed socks on an airplane, and the flight attendant was hypnotized. I was doing the leg, and she exclaimed, "You're not even looking at the pattern! That's amazing!"

I tried to explain that since there was nothing fancy going on, I wouldn't need the pattern until the heel, but she was having none of it. As far as she was concerned, it was the most amazing thing. Ever. Period.

Go to Top of Page

DaniW
Chatty Knitter

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  1:46:44 PM  Show Profile Send DaniW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I KIP every chance I get.
I often wait for my kids at school, so I am never without a project. Kids and teachers all like to stop and ask about it and share their skills or stories.

I knit in the car, waiting for food at a restaurant, waiting for the kids at the library, at the park, etc. The kids like it, DH not so much.

My projects have been great conversation pieces, esp. right now while I am knitting a Noro Kureyon sweater. The colorways just seem to mesmerize people, esp. since I deliberately mixed very different colorways in the sweater.

Socks are another great ice breaker and also makes me look very impressive to non knitters.

What is fun is when I take in different WIPs on different days and I hear over and over "WOW, you are so fast! I see you making something different every day!" LOL

Yep, fast impressive knitter. That's me!
(if only) LOL

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  2:31:54 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When people say they don't have the patience, I tell them that knitting produces patience in you. I am a more patient person since I started knitting.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

knitwitt
Seriously Hooked

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  3:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitwitt's Homepage Send knitwitt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by achrisvet

When people say they don't have the patience, I tell them that knitting produces patience in you. I am a more patient person since I started knitting.

[purple] Anita

I am, too. I can wait almost anywhere for any length of time as long as I have my socks-in-progress. :)

I really enjoy knitting during my commute, and I have seen a few other ladies knitting as well. It's a great way to relax right after work.

--Jennifer

http://impatientknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Teresa_G
Chatty Knitter

132 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  5:48:17 PM  Show Profile Send Teresa_G a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissMarple

So what do you guys say to the semi-acquaintance when she says, "I wish I had the patinece to do that. I've always wanted to know how." Do you offer to teach her or assume that she's just making conversation.

If it's someone I know well enough to want to teach, I say, "Do you want to learn? If you do, I'll teach you!" If they say no, I was just kidding, or anything along those lines, I say, "OK!" If they say yes, I say, "Great!" and tell them what kind of needles and yarn to buy. If it's somebody I've never seen before, I refer them to knittinghelp.com!

---------------
Polka-dot sweater is DONE!! Now I need to knit a matching one for my 3yo sister since they look so much alike!
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  04:05:47 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To the 'I don't have the patience to knit' I always say I don't have the patience to sit and do nothing.

My girls told me they saw a woman knitting on the train yesterday. They were amused because she was a mega gossip and was knitting something that they considered out of style and ugly.

Hint if you knit in public don't give knitters a bad name!

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Listen where thou art sitting
Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave,
In twisted braids of lilies knitting

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sabrina_fair1/album?.dir=/7ab3
Go to Top of Page

Knotty_Knitter
Warming Up

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  08:18:22 AM  Show Profile Send Knotty_Knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found a number of people will comment to me about kip.....although I think I might have been a bit rude once. In a doctors office, there I sat....working diligently on my sock with the self-striping yarn....and a lady asked what I was working on.

I told her, and she said, "Well, you should be doing them on 3 needles, not those dangly things, and socks are so cheap now, why waste your time??"

(I do socks on 2 circs, lol)

I gave her a dumfounded look (I'm blonde, so that was easy, lol) and said, "You can BUY socks???"

My name was called, and I left her staring after me.

justine

"Therapy is expensive. Popping bubble wrap is cheap. You choose."
Go to Top of Page

MissMarple
Chatty Knitter

110 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  08:39:20 AM  Show Profile Send MissMarple a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the tips on offering (or not) to teach someone. I like the no pressure approach. Who wants to be bullied into learning something new! Even if we all know it's the best thing ever! Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  09:08:18 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by achrisvet

I am a more patient person since I started knitting.
I am too (sort of), but only if I can knit while waiting. If there's nothing to do for a long time and I can't knit, I get antsy.

I think I have an addictive personality. I used to have to smoke, then I had to garden, and now I have to knit, or I undergo withdrawal.

I don't care where I am unless it's disruptive to others, then I won't knit. And I don't mind questions. At least people notice, and I try to pique their curiosity and get them interested in it.
Go to Top of Page

Lis S
Chatty Knitter

219 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  09:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lis S's Homepage  Send Lis S a Yahoo! Message Send Lis S a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was browsing through the knitting-related items on Cafe Press the other day and found a t-shirt that really sums it all up:

1. Yes, I am knitting.
2. NO, not crocheting.
3. No, it doesn't require a lot of patience.
4. Yes, you could do it. Really. Want to learn?
5. Yes, I know you can buy sweaters, socks, etc., for not that much money.
6. Yes, I'm sure your grandmother did knit for you. That's nice.
7. Well, yes it does require some concentration, depending on the pattern. So could you shut up and let me knit now. Thanks!

I think I need to purchase this shirt!

Knit on!
Lis

http://lisknits.typepad.com/the_world_of_lis/
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  10:08:10 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[:00][:00][:00]
Lis, that's rich. Sort of a short guide to knitters on a t-shirt - and hopefully helps you get some knitting done.

I need one that says "I'm counting, Don't bug me!" because I can usually talk with people about it unless I'm counting.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  10:21:08 AM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lis, that is funny stuff. I don't wear t-shirts with slogans/writing, but if I did that would be the one. IMHO, at least 90% of being-approached-by-a-non-knitter conversations go exactly like that!

Don't you hate it when you've settled nicely into your plane/train/rink/waiting room seat and started to knit, and someone plops down next to you and wants to chat? It's a fine line to tread -- I don't want to give knitters a bad rap or <gasp of horror> appear rude but my knitting time is pretty precious to me. I'll gladly give it up to talk to a friend or someone special, but I'm just petty enough to resent giving it up to talk to strangers that I will never meet again, who are just chatting to pass the time.

Does that make me a bad person?

-Elizabeth in Alabama
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  11:13:53 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't make anyone a bad person. I'm Canadian and from what I've experienced, Americans think nothing of starting up conversations with total strangers, especially in the South. When it happens and I don't feel like talking I have no problems saying "I appreciate your friendliness but I just don't feel like chatting." If they think I'm rude, so be it.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  11:30:00 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always loved to talk to people if they give a little smile, or seem friendly and lively so much the better. A little hello and a tiny chat about current weather might start a conversation, and that is all to the good usually. People are lots more interesting than staring out the window in most cases. However, having said that, I don't mind if it never goes farther than that because I've got my knitting or a magazine or book, too. I prefer my knitting because it does get people to reminisce.

Lella
[img]http://www.geocities.com/zippianna/turtle.gif[/img]

Blabbity blog
Go to Top of Page

Kimmie
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  1:56:42 PM  Show Profile Send Kimmie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to crochet all kinds of critters. Your dinos are soooo cute! Any chance it is a pattern--or do you just make them up as you go?
(hint, hint, hint) :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.