Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What are your knitting bad habits?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  11:19:46 AM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you developed any knitting bad habits?
What do you do, if anything, to overcome these habits?

One thing I catch myself doing again and again is knitting on past a mistake, telling myself it won't be noticable. Then a couple of rows later, of course the mistake (such as a twisted stitch, a snarled stitch, slipping a stitch with the yarn in front,or getting off a stitch in a pattern) will be as obvious as a cat on the kitchen counter.

I'm still trying to figure out why I have to make extra work for myself this way. Instead of pulling out half a row, I wind up pulling out 2 or 3.

Now that I've noticed this repeated behavior, I vow I am going to correct errors as soon as I spot them. No more knitting on, hoping it won't show.

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  12:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't take notes. While I'm knitting away, it's "oh yeah, I can remember that," and then I don't. For instance, I have a lovely cardigan that needs a little collar. I THINK I knitted it on size 9 needles. Or was it size 8s? Hmmm, I sure do wish I could remember!
Also, I tend to short myself on yarn for projects. That's why socks are so great. It's hard to have not-enough-yarn for a pair of socks. Now that I'm getting ready for another cardigan, it's do I buy 13 balls or 14? Or would 12 be okay? No, 14!
I know there must be other bad knitting habits in my habit stash. I just don't think I want to know what they are right now!

-- susi

--That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Go to Top of Page

sanity101
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
594 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  12:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit sanity101's Homepage Send sanity101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto on the notes. Particularly with swatches. I'm very dutiful about swatching and measuring and washing, but I don't write any of it down, so if I want to use the same yarn again I have to do all the swatching over again.

My worst bad habit I actually broke myself of. I used to grab the yarn with my right index finger (I knit continental) to pull it into every stitch. It made my stitches terribly lopsided and biased. It took a lot of work to unlearn since I didn't realize it was a problem until I was knitting by muscle memory.

-C

blog: http://ellipsisknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  12:25:56 PM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit English but instead of using my index finger as a guide, I pick up the yarn and throw. I've gotten quick with it but I know that I could knit faster, and more efficiently, if I were to use the Continental method. I like knitting via Continental but need to work on the purling part.

Like susi, I'm horrible about taking notes. I now keep a small notebook and try to remember to change down any changes that I make, particularly with socks.

Angie
My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26414328@N00/
My blog: http://zippyzinnia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  12:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am meticulous about taking notes as I knit but damned if I can read them the next day.

GFTC of NYC

the pictures tell the story
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

fiberlicious
Permanent Resident

1637 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  12:39:04 PM  Show Profile Send fiberlicious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not measuring often - as in every couple of inches. My gauge tends to grow as the garment does, and I've had way too much experience with getting 20" done, THEN finding out I could fit two of me in there. And yes, I swatch. Religiously.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4377 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  1:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take notes, but I don't seem to be able to pair them with the project! The note is usually about a pair of socks, but which one?

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  1:16:06 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to knit at night, when I'm in bed especially, but the lighting is crappy.

Not so good for 55 year old eyes...[**]

Trish
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  1:19:49 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not taking notes, ditto on that.

And stabbing myself in the left index finger with the needle. I knit Continental and for some reason I keep feeling the need to put my index finger on the needle.

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  1:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're supposed to wash the swatches??? Another bad habit and I didn't even know I had it!

-- susi+

--That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  9:10:27 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rebeccaL
I knit Continental and for some reason I keep feeling the need to put my index finger on the needle.

yep, me too. I'm knitting with #000 addi turbos now, though, so maybe that'll cure me!
I never wash my swatches, either. And I take notes, but lose them....
Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  9:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep finding other things that I want to try; resulting in sometimes a backup in UFO's. Then I make myself line up all my UFO's and avoid the LYS until I finish them.

I love to knit but can have the world's shortest attention span for any project; no matter how simple or hard. Eventually again, everything will be finished in the end.

Current UFO's: 6

Elsie W[meow]
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  10:09:44 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sometimes buzz through sewing pieces together to "get the job over with," but then have to redo it because I wasn't careful enough.
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  05:29:38 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Putting a project down for a few weeks and not leaving a note as to where I left off on a lace project. Did that twice and finally learned the hard way, having to frog it way back to an area I could find on the pattern chart. Never put a project down without leaving yourself a note!

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

Cecioboe
Seriously Hooked

USA
824 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  07:32:35 AM  Show Profile Send Cecioboe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Putting off the things I should be doing so that I can knit!

Ceci

Aw, gee, c'mon and see: http://knittinreed.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  07:37:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not weaving in the ends. I love the finished product but those pesky ends are just sitting there while I start another project. Sometimes I fool myself into thinking "Oh, no one will notice that six inch piece of yarn hanging out." But then reality sets in and I start another project.

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."

I am no longer a blog virgin. Visit my new blog!!!
http://hissyknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  08:22:32 AM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) not having a place for my notes. I take notes, usually on scraps of paper, then lose them.
2) not frogging, especially necklines. I have 2 sweaters lying on my bedroom floor that need a quick repair. Everything my mother ever said about responsibility is ringing in my ears...

Can you imagine a world without rhetorical questions?
Go to Top of Page

amosellie
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  09:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit amosellie's Homepage Send amosellie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I have several!!
1) I can't stop buying yarn and patterns that I like!!! My stash is taking over. Then, I feel stressed that I can't get to it all!
2) I buy the yarn, spot the project - but don't put the two together or write down my intension. Needless to say - that brings on more frustration and stress.
3) I take notes and then have no idea what I meant when I wrote it!
4) I knit After drinking a glass of wine.
5) I knit when I am tired
6) I knit when I am watching a riveting TV show - mess up
every time!
I could go on - but - I am depressing and stressing myself out!!
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  09:25:13 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My worst habit is starting yet another project without finishing other UFO's- Right now? 4 sweaters, 1 shawl, 1 washcloth, 3 pairs of socks.

UFFDAH !

Bad habits I have corrected:
Note taking- I now keep a notebook, and title each page with a yarn/colour/description so I know which notes are for which project.

When adding yarn to my stash that is for a specific project; I put the pattern in with it or a reference note from whichever book I want to use.

Having all my circulars thrown in a tub. I got Knitpics zippered cases and sorted by size. Three of them.

I know I probably have more bad habits that I'm not even aware of.[:00] KL
Go to Top of Page

Queen Knitsalot
Permanent Resident

USA
1331 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  09:57:01 AM  Show Profile Send Queen Knitsalot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*gasp* I do not do a gauge swatch. There. I admit it. I figure it'll fit someone and in my world I always believe I can lose the weight to fit it, whatever it may be. Hence the four sizes of jeans in my closet that I am sure I will fit someday.
Delusional?
Why, yes, I am. But I like me this way!

Suzanne

I'm not crazy.....I'm colourful. Sounds better on a resume.
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  1:50:51 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starting too many projects and buying yarn for projects I have no hope of starting before I loose interest.

Also, being totally disorganized about knitting gadgets. My needles are now organized, but there are stitch markers, tape measures, sewing needles, row counters, etc all over the place.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by