Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Mixing dye lots
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  12:10:49 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that you SHOULDN'T mix dye lots, but if you have a few odd skeins of something and are one skein short, it sure would be nice to.

Are there any tips on trying it? Swatch from each dye lot and look at the swatch in different lights? Anything else?

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  12:30:58 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's about it. sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes I put a row or two of contrast color between the two different dye lots and you can get away with that if they are separated. Other times I make a whole sleeve with the odd skein. When you know about it before you start, you can knit the ribbed part with the odd skein and then it doesn't show as much. I guess you cold say to separate them or change the stitch so the lighting changes.

I just made a pair of gloves with 2 skeins of yarn that were supposed to be the same, they had the same dye lot. It was a heathered yarn and one skein looked like it had more silver in it than the other one so I knit the gloves alternating rows. When the gloves were finished they had a subtle striped effect.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  1:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never done it, but what if you "faded" in the new dye lot by knitting alternating rows of old and new lots for a few rows?

-- susi

--That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  2:02:27 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it doesn't seem to matter if it's ordinary craft store acrylic yarn (e.g., Lion Brand Homespun) or LYS nice yarn (e.g., Manos). I had skeins that were actually the SAME dyelot and knitted up looking quite different. The Homespun, at least, was for a toy, so it didn't matter so much that one leg looked a bit brighter than the other. The Manos scarf, now that looked interesting. I also did a Bernat Boa scarf, same dye lot, and it worked up looking different for each of the 3 skeins that I used. It's all pretty strange to me. I guess for something where it would be quite visible (the gloves Fran mentions or a sweater), I might do either alternating rows or perhaps the ribbing versus the body of the sweater or use a contrasting or blending color in some way.

sja
Go to Top of Page

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  4:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if the yarns seem fairly close in color, you can knit from ball A and purl from ball B, carrying the yarn up the side. Or you can do a pattern with a slip stitch, changing skeins every two rows, that pulls the skein A up into skein B and smooths out any color issues. The linen stitch (or a half linen stitch) is good for this.

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com
www.heritagerecipes.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/felted-bags/
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  04:41:06 AM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, an update. I swatched with four rows of A and four rows of B and so on and you know what? It doesn't look different in the swatch. So I will use the 2 balls I have for the body and the 1 odd ball for the sleeves, and I'm sure it will be fine.

I'm really happy because 2 were stash yarn and the 3rd I got on sale at the LYS that is going out of business, so this part of the sweater will cost me something like $4 or $5.

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth