Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 What is YOUR mindless knitting project?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

StitchenSu
New Pal

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  11:34:07 AM  Show Profile Send StitchenSu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seen several posts where people talk about "mindless" knitting--at work, on the phone, in meetings etc. I just wonder what project or pattern that equals.

I want one!

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  11:41:18 AM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Socks. Plain old stockinette socks that I can do w/o thinking or looking at them, and still have something beautiful and functional come out of it.

-Elizabeth in Alabama
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  11:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine is also plain stockinette socks.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Cozy
Chatty Knitter

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  11:46:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cozy's Homepage Send Cozy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto to the stockinette socks, but it can be any stockinette/in the round project for me, as long as it isn't too big.

Come see me at my blog:cozy's place

Knitting addict since November '03

Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  11:50:32 AM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if I ever achieve mindless knitting but I often crave a project where I can get into a nice rhythem. Stockingnett stitch in the round is probably as easy as it gets (such as the Melody Shawl I recently completed).

Unfortunately I can't bring my knitting to work or knit during meetings but it is nice to be able to knit simple things in the evening while taking care of my hyper kid. I need to be able to put something down and not worry about figuring out where I am.

Check out my project pics

Join the Yarn Diet-A-Long

Go to Top of Page

queen of the east
Seriously Hooked

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  12:14:07 PM  Show Profile Send queen of the east a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stockinette, it can be socks, hats, what ever the project a circular stockinette is my "mindless" choice. The smaller projects, like hats and socks, travel on the bus with me. The big ones, like the dress I am currently working on, stay at home and get worked on while I watch tv or films. I also knit mock cable socks whilst on the bus, I have to pay a bit of attention to those though.

Ann in Montreal
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  12:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too on the plain socks. Round and round...

A simple scarf, in rib or a variation, also does the trick!

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  12:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And yet another plain old stockinette sock knitter. Aren't you sorry you asked?

Come visit my blog...
http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  11:50:42 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My portable mindless project is socks (usually with some kind of simple rib pattern) and my at-home mindless project is log-cabin blanket made of random-size rectangles of randomly chosen blue and green leftovers.

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  07:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only socks, but I also like making washclothes. I do the Granny's Favorite version, and I have a nice cotton sock yarn (since I hate cotton yarns for my socks) that is great!!! All garter with YOs and some decreases (when you get there). Those are my favorite riding in the car projects. I don't have to look, and normally all those teeeny stitches would drive me batty! :D

Hugs,
tammy

Tammy my Blog http://cozystitches.wordpress.com/
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  08:10:37 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think my mindless "knitting" project is actually .... crocheting!!! I have several standard afghan patterns (None of which are granny squares!!) that I can practically do in my sleep. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I had actually dozed off with my hands still going on occasion.

Speaking of mindless stockinette, though .... my daughter has recently acquired the first two seasons of "I love Lucy" on DVD. In one episode, Lucy is anxious about something and Ricky tells her to calm down and get out her knitting. So she does, and a while later he asks how her sock is coming and she holds up a sock that is yards long!!!

While I am really learning to despise that program (Ricky is so arrogant and bossy and mean to Lucy ... in today's way of thinking, he is an abusive husband) I like that Lucy knits a lot.
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  08:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good, solid aran weight top down jumper where I can enjoy the heft of the work, the feel of the yarn and the satisfyingly mindless repetition. Preferably curled up on the sofa wearing one I made earlier watching an old movie with next door's cat.

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

Queen Knitsalot
Permanent Resident

USA
1331 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  09:16:26 AM  Show Profile Send Queen Knitsalot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Socks! Plain socks! And at home in front of the TV a sock yarn blanket that will no doubt take the rest of me born days to finish!

Suzanne

I'm not crazy.....I'm colourful. Sounds better on a resume.
Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  09:33:10 AM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine is socks, but not *quite* plain stockinette, which is a tad *too* mindless. Instead, I do my instep and leg in a wide ribbing, 3x1 or 4x1, which gives it just enough interest to make me *want* a conference call! And I use afterthought heels, so I can just throw in a scrap of waste yarn and keep going -- I hate to stop a short-row heel in the middle of the short rows if the call ends.
Go to Top of Page

knitloon
Gabber Extraordinaire

524 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  09:36:33 AM  Show Profile Send knitloon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely stockinette socks...in pretty handpainted sock yarn. Pleasant, portable, mindless.

View my projects at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knitloon/
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  09:54:00 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another stockinette in the round, socks preferably.

Angie
My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26414328@N00/
My blog: http://zippyzinnia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herbandteas
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  09:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit herbandteas's Homepage Send herbandteas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baby tube socks.....there have been a burst of babies born lately so thats what I have been working on.

Helaine in Olalla, Wa
View my blog @ http://misshelaineous.blogspot.com/
Women who behave rarely make history
Go to Top of Page

Fivefibers
Permanent Resident

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  10:06:23 AM  Show Profile Send Fivefibers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talk about mindless knitting! How about knitting a Harry Potter scarf in the round? I did one for my son last year. He has taken the scarf on to college now!

Fivefibers
2sheep; 3goats; 5bunnies
(so far)
Go to Top of Page

jrhutch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  1:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jrhutch's Homepage Send jrhutch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My current mindless knitting is the Silk and Linen Shoulder bag by Habu Textiles. Very basic stockinette knitting with really great yarns.

Jackie Hutcherson
The Knitting Hutch
http://theknittinghutch.com
Go to Top of Page

pkee
Chatty Knitter

222 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  1:59:35 PM  Show Profile Send pkee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one that does mindless sweaters? The current one is the Classic Elite Skye Tweed Jacket (which by the way is full of errors, even in the corrected pattern!). I've done the Alchemy Silk Bolero by Gina Wilde, the Pearl Buck Swing Jacket by Kate Gilbert, a quick bulky sweater from Ann Budd's book, etc. The pattern needs to be repetitive, mostly no heavy cabling or counting.

Of course, I'm probably the only person w/ five sweaters waiting to be seamed - those mindless sweaters go quickly but the seaming doesn't!

Pam
Go to Top of Page

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  2:06:36 PM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jackie, that silk/linen bag is very pretty! Are you going to line it when you're done? I'm thinking that pens etc would poke through...

-Elizabeth in Alabama
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.