Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Rcvd yarn as a gift: ugh
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

laparente@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  5:35:50 PM  Show Profile Send laparente@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A very dear friend bought me 8 balls of Filatura di Crosa Murano yarn. It is pretty yarn -- a shaded ribbon/boucle, kinda chunky, kinda shiny. Not as "novelty" as eyelash, but a far cry from the yarn I like to knit with. I am a big stitch definition girl, I like lace stitches and cable patterns in crisp four-ply yarns. This yarn looks the same whether I knit or purl, rib or garter.

What can I do with this yarn? What is the right thing to do? What do you do with yarn you receive that you don't like?

I almost think I should spend all 8 balls on a throw/shawl and give it back to the friend who gave me the yarn. What do you think? She obviously liked the yarn, 'cause she picked it out, right? I think I'd gouge my eyes out by the 8th ball, but I feel bad. I mean, this was not an inexpensive gift, and she couldn't possibly know what my taste is in yarn.

What should I do?

jez
Chatty Knitter

293 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  6:18:07 PM  Show Profile Send jez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was really sweet of her to at least TRY. I think knitting her a throw/shawl is a great idea. Just do it in a pattern you love, then you can honestly say, "I really enjoyed knitting this pattern! Thank you so much!" Alternatively, do you have a large dog or small child known for random destruction?
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  6:19:00 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that a wrap for her or someone else would be a good idea.

Can you imagine a world without rhetorical questions?
Go to Top of Page

angie-knits
Chatty Knitter

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  6:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit angie-knits's Homepage Send angie-knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Alternatively, do you have a large dog or small child known for random destruction?

[:00][:00]
I like that.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  6:40:55 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think mkaing something for her with it would be nice, but I'd confirm she likes it forst something like "Since you gave me the yarn I'd like to make something for you with it"

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queenmaxine
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  9:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit queenmaxine's Homepage Send queenmaxine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you tried swatching with needkles a few sizes bigger or smaller than recommended? Might make all the difference. I had some mohair that called for an 8 and I did not like anything until I was using a size 15 needle.

My blog is not strictly knitting, but there are occasional WIP updates and frustration or bragging rants as I am a new knitter.

www.nolanoni.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  03:23:25 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think its really sweet of your friend to try so hard to suit you. I too however would hate someone to buy me yarn as even the best choosen stuff would not necessarily suit my current creative urges. I think I too would make her something and praise the yarn as you hand it over and tell her that you enjoyed trying out something that was novel to you and that you'd love her to enjoy it too - hence the gift. Be careful on the other hand because you don't want her to think it was such a good gift that she does it again in a different variety.

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Listen where thou art sitting
Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave,
In twisted braids of lilies knitting

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sabrina_fair1/album?.dir=/7ab3
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  06:29:21 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, it's the same feeling some have when we give them something hand knitted that they can't stand. You slave, you toil, you knit, and they look at it like they'd like to gouge their eyes out. We see so many times when the gift of something hand knit isn't appreciated, but it works both ways, doesn't it? I've also been the recipient of yarn that I couldn't bear the thought of using as well. It's a painful thing to be sure.

I think your idea of making a wrap and gifting it back is a good one. Be sure to tell her that the gift she gave you was hours and hours of knitting pleasure watching the magic happen on the needles, and knowing what happiness the wrap would bring her made it even better.

Mari

2007 shawls/throws completed: 3
2007 socks completed: 2
WIP: So many throws, so little time...
My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sharyn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  06:39:38 AM  Show Profile Send Sharyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rarely knit an entire item with that type of yarn, too, but I do use yarns like that as accents on other pieces, especially felted things. Even if there is no wool in it, you can knit it double with a wool yarn, felt it, and come up with some surprising (and possibly pleasing!) results. Use a few rows at the top edge of a felted bag, or the top edge of a felted bowl. I've even used a few random stripes of novelty yarn in a felted scarf, and it turned out gorgeous!

The danger in making a shawl or wrap for your friend, is that she may think you actually liked that kind of yarn and buy you more. Make something for your friend with yarn that you like so she gets the hint.
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  06:48:20 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by queenmaxine

Have you tried swatching with needkles a few sizes bigger or smaller than recommended? Might make all the difference. I had some mohair that called for an 8 and I did not like anything until I was using a size 15 needle.

Definitely try this - it'll make it seem like you're making quick progress and produces a lacy fabric. Or you could use two different-sized needles to make it look like drop stitching.Or you could do drop stitching. If you think you may get tired of it, just make a scarf for your friend. You don't have to use it all if you don't like knitting with it but it may yield a very pretty FO.
Go to Top of Page

knitterbug1023
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  07:20:30 AM  Show Profile Send knitterbug1023 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mom had a similar thing happen to her several months ago. She was given 16 skeins of Lion Brand color Waves (ugh!!) by a friend. Of course, she thanked her and told her what a thoughtful gift it was. While she didn't use the yarn to make a gift for her friend, the same friend just gave her about 50 skeins of various novelty yarns that she found on sale. So, just be careful how you act about it, what you do with it, because you might end up with even more yarn you don't want!

Robin

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.-- Augusten Burroughs
Go to Top of Page

goldiegirl
Seriously Hooked

611 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  09:05:03 AM  Show Profile Send goldiegirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you don't think you'll even like working with the yarn - perhaps just make a scarf for your friend (maybe if you combine it with another yarn to make it more enjoyable to knit with). Then you can give her the gift, she'll see that you used it . . . and then sell or give away the rest. If she asks about it again, you can just say that you are looking for just the right pattern for it. It's probably unlikely that she'll ever find out.

my gallery
Go to Top of Page

Woollymama
Gabber Extraordinaire

540 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  1:51:33 PM  Show Profile Send Woollymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of free patterns for shawls, afghans, etc, on this webpage, that combine fancy yarn similar to Murano --or similar enough to substitute anyway--with other yarns you might like better.
http://straw.com/cpy/free_patterns.html#Shawls
There are tons of other free patterns on the straw.com site too that might be suitable.
You could also knit chemo caps out of the Murano for your local hospital or charity. You could make various things out of yarns you like and use the Murano as an accent--a border for a hat, accents on a scarf, and so on. Have you googled patterns for it? Maybe there are some out there that combine it with something you like better. Like maybe a cable coat or jacket with Murano accents. I think I saw something like that on lionbrand.com--as long as the yarns are the same gauge and roughly the same type as the Lion Brand ones, it should work.
Agree that if you use it to make a gift for her, you have to somehow get across the idea that you prefer other yarns--maybe work this into the conversation: "I've had my eye on this great cable pattern in [insert name of favorite yarn]" and show her a picture of the yarn so she gets the idea--but not so she reads it as a hint you want her to buy you more yarn! Well, you get my drift...

woollymama
Go to Top of Page

ladonnabubak
New Pal

31 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  2:14:33 PM  Show Profile Send ladonnabubak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be possible to find out where she bought it and exchange it for something else? It might be worth asking about, at least. Otherwise, I like the suggestion of making her a scarf or something small and selling what's left over.

I made a friend a shawl in 'her' colors. I have no idea if she wears it we don't see each other that often and it's funny; I don't really care. I know she appreciated the thought and time that went into it and, even if she never wears it, I'd bet that she thinks of me fondly whenever she sees it on the shelf.

Hit my bog at http://nautiknitter.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4004 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  3:32:04 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I just googled that yarn and it is not cheap! I think giving your friend the FO is a great idea. After looking at the yarn, maybe a drop stitch pattern will give a more interesting look.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

knitwitt
Seriously Hooked

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  4:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitwitt's Homepage Send knitwitt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to google it, too. It is really pretty, although like you, not something I would have chosen for myself. If I have a lot of something, I like to use as much as I can in a single project, so I'd tend toward a wrap/throw/lap robe type of project as a gift for the giver.

I agree - swatching on bigger needles might help you get used to the idea. It looks a little more manageable than eyelash or the really "out there" novelty yarns. Hopefully you will find that to be the case.

--Jennifer

http://impatientknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laparente@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  6:30:13 PM  Show Profile Send laparente@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some really good ideas here - thanks!

I really did not mean to sound ungrateful. I know she went out of her way and probably spent a lot of time and money on this gift. It's just...you know! We knitters can develop specific tastes, and as you mentioned, we can even be in specific moods. The more I knit, the more my taste/mood settles into a very narrow type of yarn.

I'll keep swatching. I did google pattern support for this yarn, but, and this is ironic, although I have eight balls, I'd need at least 12 to knit the suggested patterns. I'll try a felt swatch, maybe it would be a nice bag edging.

You know, I've always thought this would be a good idea for a KAL. Everyone in the group would bring yarn that they have in their stash but don't know what to do with it. The group could suggest ideas, and encourage each other to make something (anything!) out of that yarn that is otherwise just hanging around. I'd love to show this swatch to someone and have them say, "OH! You know what would work really well with that yarn..."
Go to Top of Page

SR5Rfan
Permanent Resident

USA
1232 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  6:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit SR5Rfan's Homepage Send SR5Rfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree - you could knit a gift for your friend with it. The yarn looks like it would make a pretty shawl, or possibly a fun hat and scarf set?

Beth
"I was taught to respect my elders, but it is getting harder and harder to find one"
Go to Top of Page

SR5Rfan
Permanent Resident

USA
1232 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  6:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit SR5Rfan's Homepage Send SR5Rfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree - you could knit a gift for your friend with it. The yarn looks like it would make a pretty shawl, or possibly a fun hat and scarf set? Just curious - what color did you get?

Beth
"I was taught to respect my elders, but it is getting harder and harder to find one"
Go to Top of Page

Erinplus3
Chatty Knitter

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  09:48:17 AM  Show Profile Send Erinplus3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But won't knitting something for her out of the yarn encourage her to buy you more yarn in the future? I wouldn't want to have to keep knitting things in yarn I didn't like.

I would keep it in my stash and not mention it again unless she asked me, and then I would say something like "the right project hasn't come up for that yarn yet and I has such a long list of other things I need to do first."

Erin
Go to Top of Page

diamondgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  10:32:24 AM  Show Profile Send diamondgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

One of my nieces (age 10) bought me a positively DREADFUL skein of Lion Brand Tacky Rainbow Lumps, or whatever it is called. It makes my eyes hurt, feels squeaky, and splits when you look at it. It isn't even a color *she* likes! The color combo is so garish, it can't even be used as a filler yarn in a textured throw. I think it is going to Goodwill. It's only one skein.

I feel your pain, laparente. I would use enormous needles, if you know anyone who has a pair, and whip up a throw/wrap for her, as people suggest. But - let her know that the yarn 'was a nice little break from your usual, more preferred style, and that the yarn was so pretty, you wanted to make something for her with it, since the cables that you wear would not have done justice to the yarn.'

Third Generation Craft Ho
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.