Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitter's Swap
 Stash Reductions
 Wearing a Shawl campaign
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mkfromKansas
Chatty Knitter

339 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  08:06:19 AM  Show Profile Send mkfromKansas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, we all make these gorgeous shawls and then tenderly put them away. I live in middle USA and no one actually wears shawls. Since this forum is international, do any of you live in an area where women actually wear shawls and/or consider them a routine part of their wardrobe? Somehow it seems such a waste to have such vast amounts of time and intellect spent creating such beauty only to have it all wind up in drawers/boxes, etc. Could we possibly begin a movement like Shawls for Success or Power Dressed Shawls?

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  09:01:12 AM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wear my shawls that are made from heavier yarns around the house when it's chilly. I don't wear them much out this time of year because you can't put a coat on over it very easily.

In the spring & fall I sometimes wear them instead of a sweater, though for some things, it's not practical. I don't want to fight with my shawl when I'm grocery shopping.

In the summer I wear them in restaurants, etc to combat the excessive air conditioning.

They're kind of like wrapping up in a cozy blanket.

KS
Go to Top of Page

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  09:06:42 AM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have several shawls that I've made out of worsted and bulky yarns, and I wrap up in them at hockey rinks. They're handy because you can fold them and sit on them to avoid cold metal bleachers or put them over your knees or wrap them around your shoulders. I haven't worn any of my lace ones out though -- I picture myself tossing one over my shoulders as I wear a spaghetti-strap dress at a nice (but overly air-conditioned) restaurant but it hasn't happened yet.

-Elizabeth in Alabama
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  09:08:33 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know exactly what you are talking about. I wear my shawls around the house sometimes but usually toss on a jacket or pullover if I am going out.

So one time I just decided that I was going to buy some turtlenecks to wear underneath the shawl and toss a shawl on instead. I also bought some pins to hold the shawls together. I still don't wear them as much as I should but I am getting some wear out of them anyway!
Go to Top of Page

knitloon
Gabber Extraordinaire

524 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  09:49:03 AM  Show Profile Send knitloon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, live in Middle America, and not many people wear shawls...but I do. I use them at home quite a bit, and in spring and summer I throw one on instead of a jacket when I go to work or out to dinner. I like to bring one year round to movie theaters.

View my projects at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knitloon/
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  12:34:34 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also live in the middle swath of the US. I have a shawl in the car (usually in the bottom of the knitting bag) at all times--they are ideal for over-air-conditioned or under-heated buildings. The lighter weight lace shawls also work well for chilly evenings. I have been known to wear a heavy coat on the way to and from church, but switch to a shawl once I am in the door (one of those too-cold places all year long).

Since I started wearing them I find myself noticing similar (though rarely handknit) wraps on ladies in my area.

~Rebecca

"Be nice to people. They outnumber you 5.5 billion to 1"
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  12:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in the SouthWest and wear shawls when I can. Mostly this "winter" I've worn my trusty shawl (Crocheted half granny square in Woolease) to/from the park. I have my son on my back in a MeiTai and toss the shawl over both of us. I have been wearing a shrug as well, but this is nice, it keeps him warm too.

I also wear mine at church. There is one other lady who wears shawls, but she's quite a bit older than I am. I get looks. One lady (at church) said my shawl reminded her of something her mom would wear. It's a functional shawl, not overly beautiful, but it's a tossable shawl. I'm too busy to do the lacy stuff right now, although I'm planning one (from superwash yarn). :D

Hugs,
tammy

Tammy my Blog http://cozystitches.wordpress.com/
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  1:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mk - start wearing yours and begin a trend in your area Everyone will be envious of your hand knit ones for sure.

rho
http://rhosknittingwoes.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  1:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know several people who wear shawls, but I do hang out with a high percentage of knitters. When I'm not with knitters wearing one, I get comments about how dramatic I am (this might be equally blamed by my red hair and personality).

It's one of the reasons I prefer stole/rectangle shawls to the triangle ones - the biggest reason being that I don't need a giant arrow pointing to my ass, but I do find the stoles infinately more wearable.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  1:50:06 PM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep a shawl in my office (made by the other Elizabeth in Alabama). It's a hug when I need one. :-)

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  6:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, live in mid-America and don't see many other people wearing shawls but I wear mine to church when the weather is warm enough I don't need a coat. also to meetings, to the library, etc. so far, I only have a light weight lacy one but plan more of varying weights. oh, to have enough time to knit .............

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  7:37:28 PM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well since I am moving to Al next month, that would be 3 of us there wearing a shawl, and my DD would make 4.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  8:14:13 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depending on the shawl, sometimes I kind of scrunch it up and wear it under my coat as a scarf and then spread it out after I take my coat off and wear it as a shawl. Works really well for concerts and such where I can be chilly one minute, too warm the next -- unrelated to my personal thermostat that's out of control, that is. [whatever]

BTW, I had not thought about the effect of a triangular shawl. I have a few -- crocheted shawls that were gifts. The one I have in mind for my green mohair, if I ever get to start it, is a big circle, so at least I won't have to think about the triangle effect.

sja
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  10:15:12 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep a big, worsted-weight shawl in school colors at my desk (I teach high-school), so when the unpredictable heating/AC makes me chilly I have a red & gold blanket to wrap up in! Two other staff members (knitters) were impressed enough to make their own, so there are now 3 of us shawl-wearers at my workplace!

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

mkfromKansas
Chatty Knitter

339 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  07:54:44 AM  Show Profile Send mkfromKansas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ass pointer? No, no, no! One by one my fellow shawl wearers Unite! We shall prevail and wear our carefully crafted work as symbols of our never ending desire to make the world seem a kinder, gentler place. (I love hyperbole.)
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4164 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  09:17:24 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wear shawls..not triangular ones but rectangular ones. Here in Oregon, our temps (in the spring) can fluctuate from 30 degrees in the morning to 75 in the afternoon, and it's hard to figure out what to wear...so I dress for the afternoon and grab a shawl for the morning. I used to just wear the same black cardigan but I think a shawl has a bit more style (imho).

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  10:25:04 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wear the shawls I've made. SnL asked me to make her one out of this really colourful yarn I got off the swap table at the last retreat I went too (thanks, Lissa), and then, of course, never wore it, so I inherited it. I find them useful in spring and fall, and besides, I get a kick out of wearing them. I don't much care if anyone else wears 'em.

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:

Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  08:25:06 AM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The local library had its booksale this weekend. It was warm out, so I wanted to wear my brown jacket. I needed a scarf because it was so windy. I went looking for the big boring blue-green scarf, but it has vanished (possibly become invisible). My new bright red scarf was still damp from finally being blocked. And lo and behold, there was the psycho flowerbasket shawl from the wildly inappropriate yarn! On it went! My daughter looked at me, got a goofy look in her eye, and put on her "Producer's" hat.
Needless to say, we were the best-dressed people at the sale. And I think we will be going out looking like that a lot more often.
I say, fly that freak flag, baby!

"We all have our strengths and our weaknesses."
LiVE BAiT SANDWiCHES
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  08:38:32 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mkfromKansas
You know, we all make these gorgeous shawls and then tenderly put them away.

Put them away? H*ll no!! I wear my shawls all the time.
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

765 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  09:08:38 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made my sister a shawl and have been ask to make them in other colors she wears hers every day. She has made me proud. Donna
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  10:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I generally only wear shawls when "dressed up."

I don't think I own a casual one and although I have been planning to knit one, I haven't yet. Once I knit one, I'll definitely be wearing it.

Kimberly, knitting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by