Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What exactly is "DK" weight yarn?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lettielane
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  11:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit lettielane's Homepage Send lettielane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For that matter, what is fingering yarn? What's the difference between sports weight and worsted weight? Is there a chart somewhere describing the differences between all the various weights? Is sock yarn a fingering yarn or DK? I'm confused, obviously. :-)

Miss Maia
Chatty Knitter

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  12:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Maia's Homepage Send Miss Maia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DK stands for double knitting and is between sport and worsted weights at about 5.5 stitches per inch. Sock yarn is often fingering weight (about 7-8 sts/in). If someone refers to a sock weight yarn, they probably mean fingering weight. But socks can be made from sport (6 sts/in), DK, or even worsted weights.

This table is pretty good: Yarn Standards.

Maia
My blog, Maia Spins (and knits)
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  05:44:34 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DK is also the most popular yarn weight in the UK, Canada, and Australia.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lettielane
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  4:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit lettielane's Homepage Send lettielane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! That answers my questions, and the chart is what I needed to see. And now I know that DK stands for double knitting. You all are awesome!
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  3:21:40 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Maia

DK stands for double knitting and is between sport and worsted weights at about 5.5 stitches per inch. Sock yarn is often fingering weight (about 7-8 sts/in). If someone refers to a sock weight yarn, they probably mean fingering weight. But socks can be made from sport (6 sts/in), DK, or even worsted weights.

This table is pretty good: Yarn Standards.

Maia
My blog, Maia Spins (and knits)

Thanks for posting the chart Maia - As Mokey said we are familiar here with DK,8ply,4ply,5ply,12ply etc but its great to have the standards chart as a handy reference - I always had problems working out worsted,sport and fingering terms until I joined these forums!!Happy Knitting - Lucylocket[meow]

My Pictures
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  10:50:23 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geez, all this time I didn't know what DK meant. And I love to know things like that.

Margie

Margie

Silly Cone Valley, CA
I live in a crazy place -- I fit right in
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth