Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Seeking Nearby Knitters
 Tennessee Knitters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

craftygirl83
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  3:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit craftygirl83's Homepage Send craftygirl83 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody from the Morristown/Jefferson City/Dandridge area out there?

jlknitstoo
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  6:40:45 PM  Show Profile Send jlknitstoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Craftygirl 83,
I live in the North-East Knoxville area. I have been thinking of beginning a sit & knit on Saturday's (maybe the 2nd and 5th Sats) each month. I have not began anything formally yet. Are there any yarn shops in your area? Jane
Go to Top of Page

supermom
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  06:21:27 AM  Show Profile Send supermom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey gals...There is a yarn shop that opened in February on Cedar Bluff Road in Knoxville. It's called The Yarn Haven. I know it's still a bit of a trip for you, but I wanted to let you know it is there. We have Sit 'N Stitch times on Wednesday and Friday afternoons from Noon - 6 pm if you'd like to join us.

~Sandy~

You always have a choice...and every choice makes a difference.
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  08:29:27 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by supermom

Hey gals...There is a yarn shop that opened in February on Cedar Bluff Road in Knoxville. It's called The Yarn Haven. I know it's still a bit of a trip for you, but I wanted to let you know it is there. We have Sit 'N Stitch times on Wednesday and Friday afternoons from Noon - 6 pm if you'd like to join us.

~Sandy~

Sandy- Thanks for the info.

We will be moving to the Knoxville area sometime soon- we hope by June.

Our house is on the market-as soon as we get a solid bid, I will be hopping a plane to home search. Hopefully, while searching, I can take a few hours to drop in at The Yarn Haven.

I would also like to join a group that is NOT conducted in a LYS, so as to be able to knit thru some of my stash. I'll certainly purchase more yarn at The Haven to work on a project that isn't outside yarn- but I gotta "Knit Down" some of what I already have.

I was going to try to start one-possibly in my own home once I get settlrd. Anyone interested?? KL
Go to Top of Page

knitwitch39
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  09:51:00 AM  Show Profile Send knitwitch39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sandy:

I only currently belong to one knitting group and it takes place at an LYS. I do occasionally buy yarn or needles there, but not often. Like so many others, I am trying to knit down my stash and find I am just as welcome at my LYS even when I bring a project that isn't on *their* yarn, which is usually the case. I don't think buying their product is as important to the LYS (although it does help with restock and utilities, etc.) as being a positive member of the group--having a good attitude, a pleasant demeanor and the desire to share what you know and a willingness to learn new techniques.

One thing to consider about having a group in your home: a friend of mind did and after two years disbanded it. What was frustrating for her was that about half the women who came to this group weren't *positive* members of it...and she was stuck having them come into her home every meeting. Before you jump in, you might want to try the LYS group to meet people and to see who might be a good fit for your Home group.

Yvonne

*You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps!*
Go to Top of Page

babyduck
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  1:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit babyduck's Homepage Send babyduck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all -

This is not meant to replace Sandy's reply - I'm sure she will. (btw - her shop is lovely if you haven't been in - try to pop in for a visit).

I know I've posted this a million times on here, but once again - there is a Knoxville SnB. Anyone can join and anyone can make new Knit Nights. You can even set them up to occur at a lys if you want. Really - we're easy going. I started the group several years ago, but only moderate from the point of approving new members and promoting people to moderator if they want it. I also attend the Oak Ridge knit nights - it's too far of a haul for me to get to Knoxville most nights. Anyway - please join - we'd love to have you all. And if you want to start a new location - feel free!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knoxvillesnb
Go to Top of Page

supermom
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  2:23:33 PM  Show Profile Send supermom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Emily...thanks for the kind words. You'll have to stop in again some time when you're in the area. And KL...I look forward to meeting you in person when you arrive in Knoxville. You'll have to stop by and knit a bit while you're here house shopping because that can be a very stressful time. Yvonne, I agree that having a positive attitude and wanting to contribute to a knitting group is very important. It makes a much more pleasant time for all who come. You had some good words of wisdom, too, about having a group in your home.

Just so everyone knows...the purpose of our Sit 'N Stitch times are not to get folks to buy more yarn. It's just a time to come and gather with other crafters and share our lives together while knitting/crocheting on our projects. So...please feel free to bring your yarn from your own stash and stitch away. It's always more fun with others. And I promise there won't be any pressure to buy more yarn. We all could work on whittling down our stash from time to time. But if you ever do need any items along the way, we're here to help. So come join us!

~Sandy~

Go to Top of Page

knitwitch39
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  4:22:54 PM  Show Profile Send knitwitch39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So...please feel free to bring your yarn from your own stash and stitch away. It's always more fun with others. And I promise there won't be any pressure to buy more yarn. We all could work on whittling down our stash from time to time. But if you ever do need any items along the way, we're here to help. So come join us!

~Sandy~

Sandy, I get down to Knoxville several times a year (I live near the Tri Cities) and the next time I do, it'll have to be in conjunction with an SnB meeting!

Yvonne

Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  6:27:04 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knitwitch39

quote:
So...please feel free to bring your yarn from your own stash and stitch away. It's always more fun with others. And I promise there won't be any pressure to buy more yarn. We all could work on whittling down our stash from time to time. But if you ever do need any items along the way, we're here to help. So come join us!

~Sandy~

Sandy, I get down to Knoxville several times a year (I live near the Tri Cities) and the next time I do, it'll have to be in conjunction with an SnB meeting!

Yvonne

Sandy- Thanks for the invite and the generousity on private stash!

Can you PM me with your location and address???

Thanks, KL
Go to Top of Page

craftygirl83
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  5:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit craftygirl83's Homepage Send craftygirl83 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Knoxville is a bit of a stretch for me, as it's about 40 minutes away and most of the meetings would be at night I suppose.

I'm going to try to get one started somewhere in the Jefferson City/Morristown area, maybe at the public library because they allow people to use rooms as long as they sign up for the room ahead of time. I'll call tomorrow and check on that.

As far as LYS's are concerned, the only one I've been to is Loopville on Kingston Pike (behind the Behind The Tracks Bistro). I'm planning on opening my own store next year in Morristown, actually... just trying to get my business plan together! :)

Email back if you're interested in the Morristown/Jeff City group! We actually have a website... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/morristowncraftcollective/

Hope to meet some of you soon!

-Dana
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  5:51:17 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craftygirl83

Well Knoxville is a bit of a stretch for me, as it's about 40 minutes away and most of the meetings would be at night I suppose.

I'm going to try to get one started somewhere in the Jefferson City/Morristown area, maybe at the public library because they allow people to use rooms as long as they sign up for the room ahead of time. I'll call tomorrow and check on that.

As far as LYS's are concerned, the only one I've been to is Loopville on Kingston Pike (behind the Behind The Tracks Bistro). I'm planning on opening my own store next year in Morristown, actually... just trying to get my business plan together! :)

Email back if you're interested in the Morristown/Jeff City group! We actually have a website... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/morristowncraftcollective/

Hope to meet some of you soon!

-Dana

Heck- living in the Los Angeles area- 40 minutes is around the corner.

Where is the Morristown area? Should we be looking there??

Right now we are looking at Clinton, Maryville, Farragut, and general Knoxville- where else should we be looking??

Not meaning to hi-jack your thread- but would love input from you Tennessee gals- THANKS! KL
Go to Top of Page

craftygirl83
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  10:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit craftygirl83's Homepage Send craftygirl83 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, KL, the problem of driving between Morristown & Knoxville is about 40 miles of pitch-black road (if you're travelling at night of course), with a lot of wild animals crossing the road & drunk drivers going back and forth across the lanes of traffic... not anything I want to brave, haha! (BTW I used to live in KY and it took me 35 minutes to drive across Lexington to my SnB meeting so I know how much different city life is from country life- and I miss it!) :) And, Morristown is about 40 minutes northeast of Knoxville, for those of you that want to know.

I am going tomorrow to talk to the Hamblen County Public Library (aka Morristown PL) and ask for use of one of their community rooms for Thursday nights from 6:30-8:00 (which is what time they close). According to their website, there are not any meetings scheduled for that night so I think we're in the clear. Hope to see some of you there!

-Dana
Go to Top of Page

craftygirl83
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  4:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit craftygirl83's Homepage Send craftygirl83 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to update and say that the first meeting of the Morristown Craft Collective will be at the Morristown-Hamblen Public Library on April 24, from 6:30-8:30pm. If you are interested in coming and need directions, please PM me! :)

-Dana
Go to Top of Page

Dspen89
Chatty Knitter

330 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  6:52:20 PM  Show Profile Send Dspen89 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn Dana! I asked my hubby and he says we're not exactly close to that area. [:((] He works out in Mascot and I guess Morristown is even further east of that from us.

Karen!! Gosh, can't believe you're moving to my area!!

I can't wait to meet you in person!

I live in Corryton, I'm east of Knoxville, in the Gibbs area. We've only been in TN for around 5 yrs. There's a lot of great shopping over in Farragut and Yarn Haven is out that way too. (I'd love to be that close!... and I'd be SO broke![crazy])

Maryville is really cute, we love that town and there's a GREAT yarn shop there called The Knitting Nest. It's smaller scale, but the owner is super nice and so helpful. She's always made me feel very welcome.

I just haven't made it out to Yarn Haven yet, but I'm really grateful it opened after Knit & Purl closed. Knoxille is a decent size town, we should have a nice quality shop to go to. I'm really excited to get out there soon after I get back from taking care of my Mom. Lately things have been so hectic, plus I'm trying sooo hard to be good and try to use some of my stash before I have fun in there.

I belong to the Knoxville SnB, but to my dismay meetings in my area seemed to have fewer and fewer people attending. There's also a knitters guild that meets in Knoxville, I've never been, but I knit regularly with some ladies at the Fountain City library (4th Thurs ea mo) and some of them are guild members.

There's others out there also, I know some ladies knit at one of the hospitals (I believe out near the Clinton area -Powell I think), making premie hats.

I'd love to hook up after you move here! I'll be back from CA in August. Keep in touch!

Dawn
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawnzknits/
Go to Top of Page

Dspen89
Chatty Knitter

330 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  7:15:11 PM  Show Profile Send Dspen89 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jlknitstoo

Hello Craftygirl 83,
I live in the North-East Knoxville area. I have been thinking of beginning a sit & knit on Saturday's (maybe the 2nd and 5th Sats) each month. I have not began anything formally yet. Are there any yarn shops in your area? Jane

Jane, I PM'd you.
Saturdays didn't work out in my area for the local SnB. Please let me know if/when you want to meet? I'm in the E. Knox area also.

Dawn
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawnzknits/
Go to Top of Page

craftygirl83
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  07:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit craftygirl83's Homepage Send craftygirl83 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Morristown Craft Collective will be meeting at the Morristown-Hamblen Public Library every 2nd and 4th Tuesday from 6:30-8:30. Hope to see some of you there!

-Dana

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/morristowncraftcollective/
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  11:13:28 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey- Gals!

Keeping my fingers crossed!

We have 3 Open Houses this week- Today, it's for a Realtors Crawl-6 Agents from my Realtors office are pre-viewing the property.

Tomorrow, another agent from that office is trying an Open House, to see if there is a difference in serious lookers- there seems to be a lot of Looky-Lou's out there according to them.

Then Sunday, another one- the usual looking day out here.

We still have a serious potential buyer- The Elder Care person- but apparently, he's trying to get all his ducks in a row. He was here this week, with a general contractor and plumber, for 3 hours; walking every inch as to any modifications that may need to be done.

Sooooo, I'm hoping I can meet ya'll soon, on my house hunting search trip.

See, ya' Soon! KL
Go to Top of Page

supermom
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  4:24:34 PM  Show Profile Send supermom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KL

Hope things work out quickly for your house to sell. I know you'll love East Tennessee. We all look forward to meeting you.

Blessings,

~Sandy~

Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  9:00:37 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone- We are still cyber exploring everything from Farragut,[loved it!], to Maryville, to Clinton, to general Knoxville.

We are on the net, and in contact with a terrific agent that sends us info on our criteria. Daily.

The market here is not in the realm of normalcy- even in a slow down.

We went from an explosive, crazy , market- to a very cautious one.

Methinks-people are askeered as to what the political future holds- but, what the hey- what do I know!

Tom is soooo ready to take a hit- to get us out of here. I'm not quite to the point that he is- but I'm listening.

We will be leaving a lot-but gaining so much more-methinks.

Soooooo, still searching- and waiting! KL

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?