Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Best acrylic yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SandraPurl
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  3:38:56 PM  Show Profile Send SandraPurl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there such a thing as a 'great' acrylic (DK or Worsted Wt) yarn? I have used Red Heart Soft Yarn and Lion Brand Pound of Love for baby blankets. Is there any other yarns I should try? Also what is the best cotton blend yarn. I am going to knit a blanket for a baby in Florida and I am not sure what I should make it with.

SandraPurl

knitwitch39
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  4:32:36 PM  Show Profile Send knitwitch39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite acrylic yarns is Caron Simple Soft. It's a light worsted weight, very soft, machine wash- and dryable, and holds up well over time. I've used it for afghans and shawls, though, so I can't vouch for how it'd do for clothes...

...but I love it! 6 oz. for $2 and pennies at Wallyworld, also carried at Michaels.

Yvonne

*You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps!*
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  5:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dark Horse "Fantasy" is one of our top acrylic sellers. Very very soft, machine washable & dryable.

Linda in Va

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  5:59:18 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My LYS just started carrying Reynolds Utopia, and I also have used Patons Canadiana - both for charity blankets. I have been impressed with the softness and feel of both yarns, especially the Utopia. But I have to say, I think both would be too heavy for a baby blanket.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  9:00:38 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anderknit

My LYS just started carrying Reynolds Utopia, and I also have used Patons Canadiana - both for charity blankets. I have been impressed with the softness and feel of both yarns, especially the Utopia. But I have to say, I think both would be too heavy for a baby blanket.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "

Ahhhh, but...Utopia Sport Weight is perfect for baby blankets and shawls too!

Good stuff..

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  10:00:40 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Caron Simply Soft for blankets. I also had good results with Cervinia Amalfi (purchased very inexpensively form Smileys.com) It's not quite as soft as the Caron but the colors are vibrant, it is thinner (sport weight) and it holds up very well in the wash.

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  05:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another vote for Caron Simply Soft. It has a slight sheen to it and is super soft. The price is definitely good.

Bernat Softee Baby is also very soft and I use it a lot too.

Sirdar makes a sport weight called Snuggly that is excellent as well.

All of these are easy care and give good stitch definition.

What pattern are you planning to use?

Barbara
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  06:03:19 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trish - I didn't know Utopia came in sport weight - I bet it's perfect for baby stuff. Thanks for the tip - I'll ask for it at my LYS next time I'm there.

Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  07:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of friends who I would consider yarn connoisseurs are very fond of James Brett Marble which is very soft and comes in some lovely variegated colour combinations.

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

mkfromKansas
Chatty Knitter

339 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  07:51:24 AM  Show Profile Send mkfromKansas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love all of you who have responded positively to this topic. I have been ashamed to admit I do all my knitting in either cotton or acrylic. I have to for both economic and logistical reasons. Wal-Mart is my LYS. You all make me feel much better about my yarns. PS - I have ordered yarn on line twice and was disappointed in the yarn when it came.
Go to Top of Page

Kipster
Seriously Hooked

730 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  08:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kipster's Homepage Send Kipster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used Plymouth Encore for baby blankets--80% acrylic / 20% wool. Washable and it feels soft.

Mary
http://snitnknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  08:24:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mkfromKansas

I love all of you who have responded positively to this topic. I have been ashamed to admit I do all my knitting in either cotton or acrylic. I have to for both economic and logistical reasons. Wal-Mart is my LYS. You all make me feel much better about my yarns. PS - I have ordered yarn on line twice and was disappointed in the yarn when it came.

Oh, don't be ashamed! The truth of the matter is that, while I use wool yarn to knit things for other people, I tend to use Acrylic and/or acrylic blends for myself, so that I don't have to handwash or dry-clean [:00]. Also, for certain items (for instance, an afghan) it makes more practical sense to go with acrylic or a blend. I love Plymouth Encore. For totally acrylic yarn, I like Red Heart Soft Yarn (not their regular yarn, which has the consistency of a brillo pad), or Bernat's Satin Yarn. I'm glad to hear about Utopia--I had seen that somewhere online and was wondering how it was...

PAM

WIP = Project Linus Baby Blankets (2), 63 Cable Squares Aghan, Top-Down Sweater

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby), Knitted Charity Squares

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  09:13:09 AM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used Plymouth Encore for many baby blankets and have always been happy with the results. It's soft, the colors are good, it washes beautifully and never seems to fade or pill.

-Elizabeth in Alabama
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  09:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am intrigued by the Reynolds Utopia yarn. My LYSs (which don't have it anyway)are 50-80 miles away. Hence online is a good option for me.

Where do you buy it online? I Googled, but didn't have much luck.

Thanks,
Barbara
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  11:22:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen Reynolds Utopia for sale on www.patternworks.com.

PAM

WIP = Project Linus Baby Blankets (2), 63 Cable Squares Aghan, Top-Down Sweater

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby), Knitted Charity Squares

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  11:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Dark Horse Fantasy and Plymouth Encore. Feza's Zara is a nice acrylic/wool blend, too.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

SandraPurl
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  3:42:08 PM  Show Profile Send SandraPurl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wow!!!! Thanks for all the great feedback. I am glad to hear that the medium priced (acrylic) yarns are acceptable and not everyone is a yarn snob. Some of the yarns are so costly that I find them prohibitative, especially for large projects like blankets and afghans. Also, it doesn't make sense to me to send a new mother a baby gift that has to be hand washed and laid out flat to dry. Has anyone used Cotton-ease for a baby blanket or sweater?

These forums are great for information you can't get anywhere else!!!!

SandraPurl
Go to Top of Page

SandraPurl
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  3:45:15 PM  Show Profile Send SandraPurl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oops! Forgot to mention that I am anxious to try Plymouth Encore. My LYS carries it and I will stop by tomorrow to purchase some.

SandraPurl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?