Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Top Down Sweater - Underarms with Holes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  08:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost finished with my top-down sweater, but despite carefully following the directions for picking up the stitches for the underarms before knitting the sleeves, the underarms both have unsightly holes.

What is the best way to correct this? I thought of perhaps doing a sort of duplicate stitch across to join the stitches and close up the holes, but I'm not sure if it will work.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

PAM

WIP = Project Linus Baby Blankets (2), 63 Cable Squares Aghan, Top-Down Sweater

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby), Knitted Charity Squares

If I could only do this for a living...

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  10:11:39 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, your duplicate stitch idea will work and will work well.

In order to avoid holes, I do several things:

Use yarn scraps to hold stitches. Metal yarn holders will stretch out the end stitches and that is a major cause of holes.

Pick up extra stitches when picking up the stitches for sleeves. At a minimum, I pick up one stitch per stitch and one stitch per row, then look at my stitches and if there are any wide spots among them, I go back and pick up extra stitches. On the next row or two, I eliminate the extra stitches by working k2tog under the arms.

Even if I have left the underarm stitches "open" and need only to place them on my needle, I still pick up a few extra stitches in the corners.

Worst case scenario: I have a few stitches to sew when finished. Each time you knit one of these sweaters, you will improve the underarm appearance.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knitterbug1023
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  2:32:18 PM  Show Profile Send knitterbug1023 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so glad that you asked this question! I have this problem everytime I knit a sweater top down. I always duplicate stitch the area and that works great but I love Fran's ideas. I will certainly try picking up extra stitches next time.

Robin
http://knitterbug1023.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  04:57:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to thank everyone who responded. I was able to fix the armpits and the sweater turned out beautifully. I wore it for the first time Saturday night and I got compliments on it all evening.

Thanks again!

PAM

WIP = Project Linus Baby Blankets (2), 63 Cable Squares Aghan, Top-Down Sweater

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby), Knitted Charity Squares

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

stellal
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
956 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  7:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit stellal's Homepage Send stellal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fran is fantastic, i use all of her fixes to prevent/repair the under sleeve holes in top down knitting. I also knit with the sleeve yarn across the body, and pick up a stitch under the first body stitch to knit with the last sleeve stitch. and ditto pick up a stitch under the first sleeve stitch to knit together with the last body stitch. I sometimes weave in a spare length of yarn across the joint, starting 10 stitches before and stoping 10 stitches past, as reinforcement. I leave tails on this waste yarn and then further weave these in to close any gaps. the other thing i have done lately is use heavy cotton yarn as my stitch holder, so it is smooth and slippery but also holds the stitch size, i find with thinner yarn it is easier to pick the stitches up latter but the ends few stitches pull and become much smaller than they should. I usually work with a fine knitting pin to even these stitches back up to size. It seems inevitable that the end stitches pull smaller - if any one has a fix I would welcome it.

Stella

I used to follow patterns, now I just make my own up as I go. Most times life is to short to read other peoples instructions - other times I really really wish I had. And my nearly one year old blog www.Knitknitfrog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  1:53:53 PM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I abandoned a sweater because of those underarm holes. I think I did use scrap yarn for a holder instead of metal. Big holes. Yes, I picked up extra stitches, lots of them. The holes remained. I knit stitches together. The holes remained. I can't remember now if I switched stitches or not, but it was a mess. After so much handling even good yarn starts to look frowzy there. Top down is so easy except for the horrid underarms.

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2386 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  07:10:37 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had the same problem on a sweater I'm currently knitting. I tore out the first try and when I picked up stitches in the underarm section the second time, I picked them up in the row below. No holes and the sleeve looks great.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffernutter
Warming Up

78 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  05:49:17 AM  Show Profile Send Fluffernutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to thank Fran for a great top down technique! I just finished a spring sweater in bamboo using her technique and it fits perfectly and the underarms are perfect!

There are a lot of top down directions floating around and I have tried a few but hers is definitely the best.

Thanks Fran!

Cheers

Denise

Mom to Cyrus, the Fluffernutter Rottie, CGC
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2386 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  11:31:44 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you like working with the bamboo, Denise? I'm making one now with SWTC Bamboo and am not liking it. It splits and there are little snags before I've even worn it. And it seems heavy so I'm wondering how comfortable it will be.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffernutter
Warming Up

78 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  05:25:51 AM  Show Profile Send Fluffernutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The bamboo I am using is supposedly SWTC too. It was the bamboo on sale at discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com.

I like working with it, I haven't had any splitting issues with it BUT after it was done and blocked I found some strange snags that I didn't notice before, one was sticking out at least 1/2 inch! I just very carefully poked them to the wrong side. It definitely "fuzzes" up a bit after washing.

I read somewhere that bamboo can be delicate when wet, but I was so careful! Not a huge deal though, it still looks great.

I made a long sleeve and I don't find it heavy at all.

All in all I like it but would not pay full price for it.

Cheers

Denise

Mom to Cyrus, the Fluffernutter Rottie, CGC
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by