Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 One Skein Wonders
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

i_am_here1@hotmail.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  04:38:50 AM  Show Profile Send i_am_here1@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the recent book on review from Knitters Review. The first pattern I started had an error. I contacted the publisher so corrections could be noted. Her reply to me wasn't an apology at all - she said 'everybody does it'. Not professional at all, in fact if a child used that excuse we'd give a lecture. And to add to that very negative opinion of the publisher she still has not put up an errata page on the book's web site (MAYBE she's done that by now, but last time I checked, about a week ago, she hadn't. I contacted her 6 or more weeks ago).

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  04:58:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.
Clara, thanks for your review - this is a book that I have tho't of purchasing & as I trust your reviews, I have moved it up further in the "to buy" list.
Most of my knitting projects over the past year have been, for me, fairly big ones. As I am a somewhat "slower than many" knitter, I could use some smaller projects that would give me some of what I call "completion momentum" - you get a good feeling from wrapping something up 'cause that means you get to find another project to start & then finish ^..^
Re the post before mine about a pattern error, boo boos do happen & luckily, I think, most publishers do step up to the plate. Perhaps the quote you gave us from the employee you spoke w/ was part of a bigger conversation? Perhaps your comment was passed on to the folks who can process & address it too. Again I am not fluent in the inner workings of a publishing company & let's see what happens w/that. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks again, Clara.
Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

twinsmom
Chatty Knitter

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  06:21:29 AM  Show Profile Send twinsmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the projects in this book, a shawl, is beautiful in some recylced silk I bought from my local yarn store. The shawl pattern was also submitted from some from the store as well. It is very fast quick, and beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3989 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  06:34:40 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently bought this book and haven't tried any of the patterns. But it does have many ways I can use up my stash. I took the book to Kinkos and had it spiral-bound so it lays flat for use during knitting. $.19 a pattern is a bargain even if there are some errors.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

RMJ318
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:10:47 AM  Show Profile Send RMJ318 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this book. I took it on a vacation over Christmas with a stash of single skeins and I had a wonderful time knitting items from it. I also have a tendency to knit larger items so it was great being able to finish a multitude of items in a short time frame. I really like the idea of getting it spiral bound; I'm off to Kinkos!
Go to Top of Page

cyrilee
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:23:33 AM  Show Profile Send cyrilee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first pattern I started from the book had an error as well. Well, not really an error, just the description of the yarn was inaccurate and I was afraid that the name of the yarn (which happened to be the same yarn I wanted to use) wasn't right.

I searched the web--no errata anywhere. It gave me a bad impression of the book and I've yet to start anything from it.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting about the errata and lack of support. The publisher is not one of the major knitting publishers (although they also publish the Yarn Harlot) which may explain - although not justify - the lack of support in that department. Also I'm imagining with 101 patterns, you'll definitely have errata. Even if they were reviewed by 10 tech editors, the odds are just...huge. I'm also guessing that a tremendous budget didn't get thrown at this project, which would be another reason for the "so what?" attitude. I'm not justifying it, I'm just thinking these could be contributing factors.

If the publisher is stonewalling readers, which isn't good, at least we can collect the errata in the Errata in Knitting Patterns section of the KR forums. Not to help the publisher get off the hook, per se, but to help future knitters avoid frustrations.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

adalai2000@yahoo.com
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:49:56 AM  Show Profile Send adalai2000@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this is a totally amazing book... what i especially love about it is that the patterns are organized by yarn weight. By coincidence, I just happened to finish reorganizing my stash, using yarn weight and fiber content as my organization structure, so this book now means i can easily "shop my stash"... More than anything else, this book is great just for triggering my imagination. Sometimes we get so locked into the conventional concepts, it's nice to have something knock us out of the rut.
Go to Top of Page

camoct@yahoo.com
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:59:50 AM  Show Profile Send camoct@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have this book and find it is the most useful book I have for energizing beginners. Beginning knitters often have trouble with the inevitable scarf that is the usual starter project. The easy, one skein approach holds out hope to those beginners who want some choice. Nothing like a quick, successful project to keep the new knitter interested. Even teens like this book!
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3989 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  11:38:31 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RMJ318

I really like the idea of getting it spiral bound; I'm off to Kinkos!

I read about this on KR and it is really worth the extra money for any book you will use a lot while knitting. The book lies flat and it is so easy to use. I had all my Barbara Walker stitch pattern books spiral bound too.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  1:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too have this book and I agree wholeheartedly that it's invaluable for energizing new knitters. I've used it a dozen times to encourage new knitters who didn't want a scarf but thought that was all they could knit.

I haven't hit any errors and I'm curious which pattern(s) have the mistakes. So far, my favorite item to knit is the tea cozy. It actually takes 2 skeins (if you want to knit it with a lining) but could be a 1-skeiner sans lining. I spotted the cozy knit up in a gorgeous color-change yarn called Paint Box at the Patternworks store and I have to say that the yarn made all the difference for me. I'd passed it right by in the solid color shown in the book but fell hard for it in the color-change yarn. I've done 2 already and have plans for more for gift giving.

Thanks for the spiral binding tip! I never thought of that but it's an absolutely brilliant idea!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

MJB
Chatty Knitter

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  05:49:54 AM  Show Profile Send MJB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I,too, found errors..and was planning on returning the book..figured if I could spot an error there might be others that are beyond my degree of knitting problem solving! But your posts are swaying me......

mjb
Go to Top of Page

Carol Metzger
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  07:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carol Metzger's Homepage  Send Carol Metzger a Yahoo! Message Send Carol Metzger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, all.

I am the contributor of two of the patterns in this book, the Aran Tam and the Golden Fantasy beaded bag. An error was introduced during the publication process in the Aran Tam pattern, which I reported to Storey as soon as it was discovered. I have posted my own errata on my blog:

http://cfmdesigns.net/errata/arantamerrata.pdf

If you are knitting the beaded bag, a step was omitted: you must seam the bottom edge with single crochet before sewing on the fringe. No one caught that one -- not me, not the editor, not the proofreader. I discovered it while teaching the bag in a class.

Sadly, this kind of thing does happen all the time, and I am not proud of it.

cfm
Go to Top of Page

akirkman
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  10:37:59 AM  Show Profile Send akirkman a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Carol--much appreciated. Now I must buy the book!

Regards, Ada

Go to Top of Page

Dottie Mae
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  1:25:05 PM  Show Profile Send Dottie Mae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Camoct that this is a great inspiration for beginners. I have the book and I have already done one (easy) hat, p.126. I am doing the Fabulous Filigree scarf (p. 185), and I must say that it is NOT for beginners. It begins with a short row diamond and then introduces yarn overs and filigree lace. The basic shawlette is done in garter stitch. I stumbled on this pattern two years ago at a fiber festival. The pattern I bought than was for a full sized shawl. It is fabulous, but not easy. I have already done the full sized shawl 7 times. This pattern, however, is an exception to the book. Most of the patterns are so easy that I am using it as the basis for a monthly knitting group/class at a LYS.
Go to Top of Page

Woollymama
Gabber Extraordinaire

540 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  08:49:07 AM  Show Profile Send Woollymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a list of corrections for One-Skein Wonders that I found on Storey website:

http://www.storey.com/files/correct/1178736676.pdf

I'm holding out until I get it from library--can't wait to try some of these.

woollymama
Go to Top of Page

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  2:17:27 PM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woollymama: Thanks for the link to the errata! I'm printing it ....
Go to Top of Page

hothead@snet.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  12:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit hothead@snet.net's Homepage Send hothead@snet.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to say "Thank you!" and to let you know you are my favorite person right now. I check 2 other knitting lists and the link that other posters were giving was broken. :(

You rock!
~~
Hothead

quote:
Originally posted by Woollymama

Here's a list of corrections for One-Skein Wonders that I found on Storey website:

http://www.storey.com/files/correct/1178736676.pdf

I'm holding out until I get it from library--can't wait to try some of these.

woollymama

Go to Top of Page

stitchmd
Seriously Hooked

716 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  08:30:39 AM  Show Profile Send stitchmd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also love this book and haven't come across any errors yet. It's great for when you don't know what to knit and want to buy a little of some pricey yarn, it's great for just finding a pattern for something you have in mind. After searching for a baby pattern using a thickish yarn I found one in there. I agree it's great to take on vacation.

The one drawback is some of the single skeins it uses are huge and you'll have to buy several if you get something equivalent from a different manufacturer.

There are patterns from beginner to advanced in there, something for everyone.

You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Go to Top of Page

berylcox97213@yahoo.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  5:03:42 PM  Show Profile Send berylcox97213@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to get the errata sheet for One Skein Wonders page 75 ( the Aran hat). was told the page has been discontinued. Any help?
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3989 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  04:49:38 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://cfmdesigns.net/errata/arantamerrata.pdf

If this is the one that didn't work for you let me know because I can email you the pdf file of errata for teh book.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe