Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Left-handed knitting
 lefty trying to teach a righty
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knitting fairy
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  1:40:06 PM  Show Profile Send knitting fairy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My children are supposed to learn to knit as part of their homeschool curriculum, but they are both right handed and I am left handed. Any tips for teaching them?

Thanks!

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  09:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you knit backwards, moving stitches from the right needle to the left, or do you move the stitches from left to right (as in "normal" knitting)?

If you knit in the normal left-to-right direction, then you don't have to worry about any of the rest. Teach them to knit the way you do. If you hold the yarn in your left hand, so can they. I'm right handed and I knit with the yarn in my left hand. My friend is left-handed and holds the yarn in her right hand.

It's a true two-handed activity, so handedness isn't usually an issue. The only time it IS an issue (and I've been teaching left- and right-handers to knit for quite some time) is when a left-hander has been taught to knit "mirrored" (right-to-left). Please teach your kids to knit left-to-right. It will make reading patterns so much easier for them!

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

knitting fairy
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  10:40:56 AM  Show Profile Send knitting fairy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi
I knit left handed, moving stitches from the right needle to the left and hold the yarn in my left hand.
I've tried learning to do it continental style, as a compromise between left and right, but I have a really hard time pulling up loops when working with my right hand.
There's some things I do really well right handed, but knitting isn't one of them.

Knitting Fairy

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck

It took me years and years of trial efforts to work out that there is absolutely no knitting triumph I can achieve that my husband will think is worth being woken up for. ~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  10:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, then have the kids sit across from you and mirror what you do.

Try getting the book "Kid's Knitting" by Melanie Falick. I think it's the best learn to knit book around (even for grown-ups).

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  03:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a free video website--little clips of everything from the very simple basics to socks and other more complicated things.

www.knittinghelp.com

Check it out. I have pretty much had to teach myself everything. This is great because you can sit in front of the computer and practice a particular thing over and over as much as you desire. It will give your children a "right-handed look" at what they are doing.

Where did the home school curriculum which includes knitting come from? As a retired educator, I am really interested in using knitting as a springboard for teaching kids a number of things. Homeschool would be the ideal setting for that. The ways you can incorporate knitting are pretty much limited only by your imagination. Math, reading, writing (writing directions as well as creative writing), art, creative thinking, money management, recreation, and an added benefit, helping to develop eye-hand coordination, which is a vital reading skill. (Sorry, I digress, but I get excited with creative teaching.)

When I was attempting to research that a few years back, I found very little information on it. I found knitting, weaving, etc. to be a huge motivator among my own 4th graders. They would work harder on other "less fun" things in order to have time to work on the handwork project. I did read where special education teachers used it in this way for children who had to really struggle with attention problems--the knitting seemed to help them develop focusing skills. No hard data on that though--at least I couldn't find any.

Barbara
Go to Top of Page

cableready
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  05:10:41 AM  Show Profile Send cableready a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a true lefty "mirror" knitter. When my right-handed daughter wanted to learn to knit I sat across from her, but for some reason that wasn't effective. I ended up curling my hands over the needles and knitting righty, which she got. Knitting is a creative art and if we are flexible and go where it takes us it is all good.

Pamela
Go to Top of Page

knitting fairy
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  07:09:17 AM  Show Profile Send knitting fairy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

www.knittinghelp.com

Check it out. I have pretty much had to teach myself everything. This is great because you can sit in front of the computer and practice a particular thing over and over as much as you desire. It will give your children a "right-handed look" at what they are doing.

Where did the home school curriculum which includes knitting come from? As a retired educator, I am really interested in using knitting as a springboard for teaching kids a number of things. Homeschool would be the ideal setting for that. The ways you can incorporate knitting are pretty much limited only by your imagination. Barbara
[/quote]

Hi
Thanks for the link. Well check it out.

The homeschool curriculum I use is Oak Meadow. www.oakmeadow.com It is a Waldorf based curriculum, though not strickly Waldorf. Rudolph Steiner, whose philosophy Waldorf schools are based on, was a big believer in teaching children handwork. You might aslo check out www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com There are certain things (knitting, crochet, sewing, shoemaking, carpentry, felting...) taught at certain ages because of the benefits children will get from them developementally at that age. My kids are in K and 1st, so this is helping them develope eye hand coordination, and learning to focus, and giving them a sence of accomplishment. But you're right you could incorporate any school subject into knitting. It would help develope strong math skills.

Knitting Fairy

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck

It took me years and years of trial efforts to work out that there is absolutely no knitting triumph I can achieve that my husband will think is worth being woken up for. ~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe