Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Asymmetry - love it or hate it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  2:57:28 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most garments are designed symmetrically. The 2 sides of a cardigan are mirror images of each other. Some, however are designed o be asymmetrical. Sally Melville has one where one cardigan front is longer than the other. Or in a Vogue last year there was a cabled cardigan where one side was wider and the fronts were longer than the back. I always feel that if I made one of these it would look like I made a mistake. The Vogue sweater is growing on me, though.

I was wondering how others felt about asymmetry, does it attract you or put you off?

Anita
My completed projects

and here

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2747 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  3:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like it. I feel it looks like the stereotype granny knits that were always out of wack.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  3:22:16 PM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hate! Well, hate is strong. But I like symmetry.
Go to Top of Page

knitwitch39
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  3:27:30 PM  Show Profile Send knitwitch39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't like it. I am one of those who want/need/prefer balance.

Yvonne

*You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps!*
Go to Top of Page

kat0926
Chatty Knitter

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  3:29:00 PM  Show Profile Send kat0926 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like asymmetry at all. I another one who prefers balance.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2361 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  3:33:11 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like it either.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  3:55:01 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it but for my body shape it isn't very flattering.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Help me walk all over cancer
Go to Top of Page

JulieB
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
521 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  4:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit JulieB's Homepage Send JulieB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like it. There's a sweater in the current IK with a symmetrical v-neck which looks like someone just knit it wonky. i keep looking at it thinking it's a nice, plain v-neck, but then noticing that there's something a little odd about it.

Julie.

My blog: http://www.julie.stuffworld.info/
Go to Top of Page

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  4:36:31 PM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you started this thread! I am not fond of the asymmetrical look in knitting. Looks like a knitting mistake or like someone who has their buttons lined up with the wrong button-holes, you know? I'm hoping this trend will soon fade away.
Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  5:00:03 PM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like it either but I recognize that my tastes tend towards the simple and basic.

Check out my project pics

Join the Yarn Diet-A-Long

Go to Top of Page

diamondgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  5:03:04 PM  Show Profile Send diamondgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hate it violently.

Third Generation Craft Ho
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen-NYC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  5:06:05 PM  Show Profile Send Kathleen-NYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm one of the minority that likes the asymetrical shape. I made the Sally Melville one last year and plan on making another.
Go to Top of Page

careynev
Chatty Knitter

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  6:04:29 PM  Show Profile Send careynev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really attracted to asymetry, but have never made an asymetrical anything. Not sure why. I think I'm too chicken to declare that I did it on purpose, maybe. I don't know.

But I really like the concept and the way it looks on others, so I guess I should just bite the bullet and make something for myself.

Judy, the Nerdy Knitter
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  6:16:16 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only asymetcrical shaping I like is in the front of a cardigan where one side overlaps the other and is fixed/closed...at the shoulder or just below it while the hemline is still even.

Otherwise, I don't think it's very flattering to any body shape. It just looks sloppy most of the time.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

diantha
Chatty Knitter

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  6:18:25 PM  Show Profile Send diantha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never seen any of those patterns. I can't imagine why anyone would do it. I do like assymetry normally, but not in the shape of a garment - more in a decorative design. Are these sweaters attractive at all?
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  6:59:35 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it looks sloppy, like a sweater buttoned up wrong.
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  7:24:25 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like some assymetrical designs & would love to knit one. But I'm not sure if it would work for me. You have to have the right kind of body for assymetrical stuff to hang properly and not look sloppy.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

firymist
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  7:25:46 PM  Show Profile Send firymist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really think it depends on the design and how it's carried out. It can look sloppy if done poorly, but if done well it should have a balance and be well executed.

Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  7:57:41 PM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate asymmetry in a painting but not in a garment.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  7:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't like it.
Go to Top of Page

bfaye
Seriously Hooked

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  8:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaye's Homepage Send bfaye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen some garments that might look right on someone with the right body type and personal style, but it's not my style.

benne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.