Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Don't you LOVE a bargain?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  07:26:26 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to Omaha yesterday with my two oldest girls, to the newly opened Penzey's (for spices), and to a couple yarn stores. I had nothing on my "need to find" list, but that didn't stop me from buying. One store was clearing out novelty yarns, and was selling it by the bag. They had ribbon yarns and things like Eros, which I've used in the past. Original prices were $10-$11 per ball, and full bags (10 balls) were $20, partial bags (4-6 balls) were $10. I ended up buying 21 balls for $40. I think I can find projects to use them all up, and I'm pretty proud of my little bargain. I also got 6 skeins of Koigu, and some lovely cashmere blend for gloves, but they weren't on sale. It was a good day of shopping!

Jan

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  08:01:51 AM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
High five! Like you, I like to stock up when I find a place that's practically giving stuff away. Those novelty yarns aren't going to go bad and moths aren't going to eat them -- they will be perfectly happy sitting in your stash for years and then one day your friend/daughter/niece/granddaughter/whatever will want a scarf/legwarmers/hat and you'll think to yourself, "AHA! I have something exactly right for that!"

My LYS is having their annual sale and I was there yesterday. They have a *bunch* of new Koigu in but I remained strong and didn't get any, although the beautiful log cabin throw on display was pretty amazing. I ended up with one of the new colors of Tofutsies (I grumbled while knitting up socks with it, but the socks are probably the most comfy light socks I've ever made) and a skein of Schaefer Anne (can you ever really have "too much" Anne?) and 8 skeins of a new silk/merino blend called Dawn -- fingering weight and light as air and soft as an angel's wing. And a couple skeins of the Trekking Pro Natura (a truly delightfuly blend in truly delightful colorways) and another AbFab throw kit (you know how hard it is to find them on sale). So I had a good day of shopping too!

-Elizabeth in Alabama
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  2:31:00 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good for you Jan! I love a bargain too.
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  6:35:08 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do too - I buy up on wool when my LYS is clearing out discontinued colours and dye lots - I find I can build up my "colour" collection this way - great for toy-making! Who said a bargain is only a bargain if you need it - (sheer rhetoric [:00])!! One never knows when one might need it!! Happy Knitting!

Lucy [IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q61/loliwoli/catyawn.gif[/IMG]My Blog - Lucy Knits
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  7:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it's wool that will felt well, I buy the oddballs for sure. It's great for last minute felting projects!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

hug_queen88@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  7:41:07 PM  Show Profile Send hug_queen88@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bargains have such an attraction for me that I find myself going bankrupt saving money![:00][:00] I FORCED myself to stay away from my LYS during their anniversary sale. After all, when I've gotten to the point that I am having to get more plactic bins to hold more yarn for projects I might make, I am dancing dangerously close to yarn compulsion! Oh well, I know of other more damagning compulsions/addictions to have.

Keep knitting all so we can justify more bargain yarn.

Sally

PS I voe Penzey's too!
Go to Top of Page

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  03:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woo hoo...Go Jan
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  04:18:49 AM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good job Jen!
If you can use it why not..and it sounds like you can/will.
Have fun with your new addition to your stash.
Karen
Go to Top of Page

sgoldfried
Seriously Hooked

Canada
769 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  07:02:34 AM  Show Profile Send sgoldfried a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi
bargains are wonderful
last year i bought a slew of fancy hairy shaggy long haired curly yarn
everything they had in the store
lewiscraft was closing and everything was 50 % off
so i now have all this yarn
som e of it is slippery so i cant make shawls
some of it is so hairy that i cant make a scarf out of it
i had a mouthfull of hairy yarn
so now i am making pillows and afghans
it is a pain
i have to run a plain yarn with the fuzzy stuff
mind you beautiful colors
i dont know what i was thinking at the time
sylvia
Go to Top of Page

sgoldfried
Seriously Hooked

Canada
769 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  07:04:48 AM  Show Profile Send sgoldfried a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi
bargains are wonderful
last year i bought a slew of fancy hairy shaggy long haired curly yarn
everything they had in the store
lewiscraft was closing and everything was 50 % off
so i now have all this yarn
som e of it is slippery so i cant make shawls
some of it is so hairy that i cant make a scarf out of it
i had a mouthfull of hairy yarn
so now i am making pillows and afghans
it is a pain
i have to run a plain yarn with the fuzzy stuff