Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Has it ever happend to you
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Krystyna
New Pal

Sweden
11 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  08:52:10 AM  Show Profile Send Krystyna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished a cardigan of bamboo/cotton mixed wool, sewed it together, tried, and ripped it out at once. Now I have balls of wool I do not know what to do with. Well I guess it is not the last time it happened. Next time I must chose a better pattern.

By the way thanks a lot for warm welcome you gave me. I am still a little unsecure how to use this Forum but I am learning.

[blush]Krystyna

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  09:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did that with the Flower Basket Shawl. I finished it, blocked it, declared it beautiful but when I put it on it looked like a Girl Scout kerchief. I made it in a beautiful sage green alpaca fingering weight and it just wasn't big enough to serve any purpose. I was so shocked that I immediately frogged it and washed and reskeined the yarn. Oh well.......

GFTC of NYC

the pictures tell the story
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

knitterbug1023
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  09:55:24 AM  Show Profile Send knitterbug1023 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's happened to me twice.
Once when I was a newbie to sweater knitting and didn't really understand the importance of swatching. That sweater is still laying in my stash waiting to be frogged.
The other was when I tried to use self striping yarn to make a sweater. Never could get the stripes to match. Frogged it, going to use the yarn for a Lady Eleanor.

Robin
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  10:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, me too! A Colinette cardigan that looked so pretty in the store (why oh why didn't I try it on then?) and absolutely 100% terrible on me. Only after I undid the seams my cat claimed the various pieces for his bed. And there they remain to this day. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who put all that work into something, only to be so horrified that s/he had to undo the whole thing. Live and learn, I guess...

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  2:14:10 PM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a pullover in Debbie Bliss Cathay-my second project. What a scream! I tried it on and I looked like the Goodyear blimp-empire styling, don't ya know!!!!! My daughters looked at it and couldn't keep a straight face! So, it's waiting to be frogged! PS-nothing I did to it would help!! So much work, such totally awful results! (it was lace, too)
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  3:26:02 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done that with a Mission Falls lace tank. And I couldn't for the life of me rewind it into decent sized balls...I guess lace is a bit harder to frog than other things?

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  5:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You certainly aren't alone Krystyna! A few years back I spun a heap of wool for a jersey for myself. I knitted it up in a textured stitch pattern with a cosy shawl collar. I tried it on when it was finished and took it straight off and never wore it again (it is sitting sulking in the to-be-frogged pile still). The colour (a pale creamy-grey) was horrid on me as was the yarn thickness/stitch pattern (far too bulky for my "slightly" bulky frame) and the collar made me look like a snowman with a head several sizes too small. I think that may have been my worst failure ever.

KathyR
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

d_timmons2001@yahoo.com
New Pal

48 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  03:15:55 AM  Show Profile Send d_timmons2001@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first project in late fall 2005 is a v neck cardigan from the Yarn Girls Gude to Basics. I was so proud that I went to Smiley Yarn's December sale in Manhattan, found the alpaca/wool yarn the pattern specified and re-dediciated myself to knitting. Last week I started seaming and discovered the front is 3 inches shorter than the back. I frogged all the way down to 2 inches before the ribbing, and here I go, knitting again. I won't be happy until it's finished and in the hands of the wearer! I have frogged and practically re-knit this sweater 2 times. But in the process I have learned a great deal! It's going to be a beautiful FO and has seen the inside of at least 5 airports and I fly to CA from the east coast frequently.
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  04:00:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many years ago when I was making sweaters and was newly married, I decided to make my DH an alpaca sweater in my favorite colors of muted beige and black! For some reason - probably because I always hated using small needles - I doubled the yarn. The sweater was soft, luxurious, and beautiful - and it weighed a TON! It also had a strangely distorted shape. Needless to say, it was unwearable! I ripped it out, kept the yarn for many years before donating it! How I wish I had that yarn today to make something really warm and wonderful - and reasonably shaped! Although I don't make sweaters at this point, I know I could find amazing things to do with it now.

Scarf It Up!
Wearable Fiber Arts
Port City Pottery & Fine Crafts
In the Cotton Exchange
Wilmington NC

http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://creativewilmington.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup

Go to Top of Page

stherio
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  04:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit stherio's Homepage Send stherio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When the kids were younger, I looked at vacation as a time to knit! One summer while they were fishing, rowing, and fighting with each other, I knitted this awesome bulky weight jacket. It turned out beautifully. But I am way too small and short for something like that - I looked a kid trying to play dress-up. Rather than pulling it all apart, I just saved it. My youngest son married a lovely 5'9" girl and the sweater looked great on her. So, now it's her's!!!!

Suzy
Go to Top of Page

Larjmarj
Chatty Knitter

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  04:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Larjmarj's Homepage Send Larjmarj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this thread explains my irrational fear of making a sweater, I am going to get some technical advice before I attempt the summer shell pattern that I've had my eye on. They make everything look so cute in the magazines[**]

http://knizzlefoshizzle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Betsyknits
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  04:50:05 AM  Show Profile Send Betsyknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done this twice -- once with a sweater that sat in my room for 2 years, waiting for me to wear it, and once as soon as the project was finished. Here's the thing -- I really like to knit. So I have to use the yarn twice? Just more knitting without having to pay more!
Go to Top of Page

quiltnuttoo
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  05:42:39 AM  Show Profile Send quiltnuttoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep - me too! I spent untold hours knitting a gorgeous pullover with celtic cables for my husband out of Cascade 220 olive tweed. It looked great while laid out on the bed. When my husband put it on, he looked like a flat chested woman in it! I think it was the combination of the cables with the raglan style. Since it was too big for me, off to the frog pond it went.

The yarn is still in balls waiting for me to try a different pattern. Hubby loves this yarn, so I guess I'll be making a plain pullover for him.

Iris

Iris
Go to Top of Page

knitegrity
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  05:59:42 AM  Show Profile Send knitegrity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have a cardigan waiting for just that! One I made for my husband. It's to big and frankly I don't lke anything about it. You all have been so encouraging.[:00] I'll go frog it right now!

http://knitthistoo.blogspot.com/
Knit One,
diana
Go to Top of Page

mom2five
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  07:22:17 AM  Show Profile Send mom2five a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About 6 months after learning to knit I found a real yarn store and thought I was in heaven. I bought my first wool in a color that perfectly match a skirt that I couldn't find a top for. I made my first sleeveless shell and it was as close to perfect as I could have managed. Then I wore it... in the summer... in Texas! It hung in my closet for two years; every time I looked at it I was depressed. Finally I frogged it down to the armholes, grafted it together and felted it, now it's a precious bag that I love and is the perfect size to hold a small project... and much more useful than a wool tank in Texas.
Go to Top of Page

cumberland68@yahoo.com

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  07:25:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit cumberland68@yahoo.com's Homepage Send cumberland68@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back in Feb. 2005 I completed one of my first projects, the Paris Loop poncho (from magknits.com). It was really cool, funky, chic, I loved it. As I wore it, it stretched out to the point where it wouldn't stay up around my shoulders. LOL

I decided to rip it out and knit it again, only smaller. Well the frogging was a disaster. I don't know if it was the purl stitches that got all hung up or what, but I was near tears a couple of times out of complete frustration. So it sat there, taunting me.

I ended up tossing it on the floor between the love seat and a table because my boyfriend was coming over and I was trying to straighten things out and not have the 5 knitting projects out all over the living room. (Sound familiar??) Months later, I was cleaning and found the big ball of ugliness that had become a hiding place for a mouse! Finally, a reason to throw it all away.

Thanks for helping me get that off my chest!

Sarah

http://advancingtheplot.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

a_nguyentan@yahoo.com
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  08:50:12 AM  Show Profile Send a_nguyentan@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first sweater was Klaralund, by Cornelia Tuttle, in Noro silk garden. As soon as I tried it on, I hated how it looked on me. It could have been the complete lack of shaping, which looks good on models, but not me. I unseamed and ripped it that night, and eventually knit it up into a Clapotis, which I love!!!
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  09:17:10 AM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I frequently have to re-do because I like to try new styles (and sometimes they turn out to be unflattering). It's okay--I make a note and think of it as a learning experience.
Go to Top of Page

sdprince
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  09:20:27 AM  Show Profile Send sdprince a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, it is gratifying to find others who've found themselves up this particular creek.

I'm about halfway through re-knitting a sweater out of wonderful Rio de la Plata bulky single wool I got on Ebay. It will be a pullover knit in the round. I think of it as my Nevada colors sweater, having recently driven through that state on a trip with my DH.

The main color is a pale beige with a touch of gray, with pine-tree green for some stripes and for most of the yoke, with accent intarsia bits in a rich dirt-colored slightly-on-the-red-side brown.

First go-round, I knit it up, in a pattern of my own design (Pattern? We don't need no stinkin' pattern!), with a little intarsia, a few cables, a bit of moss stitch, etc. I got well into the yoke and had problems figuring out the decreases, so ripped it back to the armpits. Got well up the yoke again, same problem. Tried again, did better, had seamed up the sides, etc., only to discover the body was a few inches too small.

So ... I ripped out the entire body. The sleeves are OK, fortunately, so I'm about half done with the body & will try, try again. The yarn is holding up pretty well, despite the repeated frogging. I WILL finish this, and though it will probably be awfully warm, will enjoy it next year. So what if I need to keep the house at 50 degrees! <grin>

Best wishes as you knit and frog and rise to knit again.

Susan
From the Sierra

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Life is short - carpe felix.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  09:35:49 AM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed - in fact just last week. Luckily the garments I knit are primarilty for 4 yr old daughter and not for me. I frogged a raglan top just last week - I had unfortunately done a thorough finishing job so it was kind of a pain to frog. And guess what - my gauge was spot on - but I was basing my calculations on previous knits and not considering how much she has grown lately. Yes, I'm an idiot but she's always been tiny and now she's growing like crazy.

Check out my project pics

Join the Yarn Diet-A-Long

Go to Top of Page

Mirl56
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  10:06:51 AM  Show Profile Send Mirl56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not so much with clothes as I hardly ever knit clothes. But last Christmas I received some recyled silk sari yarn and I finally decided on a purse. Hate it. I should take it apart, but I'm sort of thinking about just cutting it apart and sewing it up with a sewing machine into a different type purse.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?