Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Sock Patterns
 sock patterns for size 2 or 3 needles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  11:04:45 AM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I bought my sock yarn I thought sock yarn was sock yarn..little did I know that is NOT the case.

I have at least 15 skeins of self striping yarn best worked on size 2 or 3 needles.

All the patterns for socks that have my attention are done on 4,5, or even 8! Before going out to buy yarn for these patterns I would like to use what I have.

Does anyone have anysuggestions for socks.

Thank you for your help.
Karen

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  12:04:56 PM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of yarn says size 2 or 3 needle on the ball band but I respectfully disagree. Most sock yarn, in my opinion, is better knit on a size 1 (or 0). Have you checked the patterns on knitty? And the recent Interweave has a detailed sock article on toe-ups.

-- Jeri
http://soapquiltknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  1:14:47 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
metromaples,
when you say knitty do you mean knitty gritty? Or is there another knitty?
Yes I looked at the sock patterns on knitty gritty.
I have never done socks on circular needles. I know I am a strange person I like my double pointed for socks and circulars for hats and other things.
Karen
Go to Top of Page

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  03:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too would recommend using size 1 needles and this link makes sock knitting a easy and a joy....
www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm

Krista

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't .... either way you are right."
-Henry Ford

Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  05:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
www.knitty.com

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  07:43:39 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were to knit with sock yarn on size 1 needles, the fabric would feel like iron. I use 3mm and that works out great. Go ahead and try the size 2 and 3 needles. Most sock yarn patterns suggest that size.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Help me walk all over cancer
Go to Top of Page

qtpieknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
583 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  08:29:20 AM  Show Profile Send qtpieknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About that article in IK about toe-up socks; I was trying to figure out how to do the cast on (my first toe up) and my friend, the Master knitter, told me there's a better way to do it. She prefers knitting on 4 needles, not 3 like the article states. I think I have to figure out what I like, and if I even like toe up!
I'm a loose knitter, so I always go down at least a half size, anywhere from 2mm to 3mm.

"A gifted teacher is as rare as a gifted doctor, and makes far less money."
Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  11:09:49 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My eyesight isn't that great, and working on size 1's is no fun. I've done it, but don't like it. I have some 1.5's and, for some reason, they're lots better. So, I use 1.5 or 2's for socks. All those patterns that use much bigger needles would also use thicker yarn, and produce a thicker sock. They would never fit in my shoes. Just be grateful that the ballband gives you a needle size guideline and choose your yarn accordingly.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  11:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use US 2s for most of my socks. I prefer the slightly heavier yarns - LL Shepherd Sport (rather than Sock), STR mediumweight, etc. I suppose you can use any pattern you want with larger needles, just swatch to see how many stitches you'll need to go around the foot/heel/leg.

Anything is only worth what one person is willing to pay for it and one person is willing to sell it for.
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  6:32:39 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
knittingbuzz and Rachel,
I ahve put both of the links you offered into favorites. I will take my tim and read them tomorrow. (I have a long weekend)
Karen
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  6:34:47 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Monkey,
I will do small swatches nad see what I like better 2 or 3. From what I have read if the needle is too big the sock will be too loose and be a mess.
Thank you for your tip
Karen
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  6:39:31 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
qtpieknitter
I am enjoying the cuff down socks I am working.
Yes double pointed. And if you can use four or five double pointed instead of three then you will have fewer ladders from what I enjoy.

Whatever you choose toe up, cuff down have fun. Go with whatever you feel is right. I don't know a lot about socks but I do know if your happy and comfortable doing something you will enjoy it more than if you struggle and do not feel comfortable.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  6:44:26 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan,
So true about everything you said!

I think I have my sock patterns all worked out.

For the finer yarn I have the Jaywalker, the blueberry waffle and something else I am drawing a blank on.

For the thicker yarn I have a German style sock. There are two versions of this sock so I just may have to get more thicker yarn. That way I can do one pair cuff down and one pair toe up. Being done on size five needle it will be easier to experiment with the toe up!

Karen
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  6:47:37 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kadiddly
Thank you for your suggestion
Karen
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  05:44:12 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of patterns here:
http://www.knittychick.com/free_sock_patterns.htm

If you find a stitch pattern you like but written for larger needles, you can adapt it by using a tried and true basic sock pattern on size 2/3 needles and incorporating more repeats of the stitch pattern.
Go to Top of Page

Honor
Chatty Knitter

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  09:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Honor's Homepage Send Honor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
knitting pure and simple basic sock pattern is on #2 and comes out well on #1's as well. picked mine up from www.simplysockyarn.com/

http://www.freewebs.com/honor1871/
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  10:38:26 AM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ceecee,
thank you for the idea of doing extra repeats. Who cares if you have to do the repeats fthree times or six times? The results would be the same
I will check out the link you have sent.
Thank you
Karen
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  10:40:41 AM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honor
Thank you for the link. I will check it out tonight.
Karen
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  05:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The patterns on my blog that use Cascade Fixation are all done on size 2 needles. Free.

trek casts on
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  9:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use size 3 for Interlacements Toasty Toes yarn, just in case you have that. The label recommends size 6 or something. (I'm far away from home right now and can't look.)

I normally use size 1 when it says size 2.

As for Cascade Fixation, the post mentioning size 2 blows my mind! When I sampled it, I started with size 3 and the fabric felt like a terry-cloth towel! I moved up to size 5 for this yarn, and the socks are sturdy without the stitches being big. This yarn works up into socks fast.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  06:41:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently using the "Magic Stripes" pattern found on the Lion Brand website (although I'm using better yarn). The pattern calls for #3 needles...

PAM

WIP = Project Linus Baby Blankets (1), 63 Cable Squares Aghan, Socks

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby), Knitted Charity Squares, Top-Down Sweater, Project Linus Baby Blanket, Summer Top, Scrap Sweater

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.76 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?