Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Which I-cord maker?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  10:10:49 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I decided I want to have one of those crank-type I-cord makers. I found 2 on the JoAnn's site, and also one made by Inox for about $10 more. Anybody have one that can direct me to the best choice? What I've read is that they only work on lightweight yarns...does anyone make one that works for worsted weight? Thanks for your input.

Jan

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2586 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  11:17:28 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had one from Joann's and returned it in complete frustration. There's a long thread on this gadget somewhere in the archives. A few people had success with it - I and many others didn't. It worked exactly once on a fine yarn, and then I couldn't get it to work at all - no way no how. I traded emails with the manufacturer/distributor (can't remember right now), but it didn't help. Blach.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  11:24:56 AM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the best solution for making worsted-weight i-cord (besides DPNs/circular needles) is a spool knitter. i'm guessing the 2 you found were the Clover and the Embellish-Knit - those will only work with lightweight yarns. I don't think there is a crank-type machine that will handle worsted, but a 4-pin spool is quick and easy to use and you will be amazed at how fast you can create lots of cord.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

Fivefibers
Permanent Resident

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  12:33:49 PM  Show Profile Send Fivefibers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the dpns best. Always handy; knit i-cord of whatever thickness you please.

Applied i-cord can be done with whatever needles you use on a project and makes a nice finish.

Fivefibers
2sheep; 3goats; 5bunnies
(so far)
Go to Top of Page

Isis Rising
Chatty Knitter

320 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  1:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Isis Rising's Homepage Send Isis Rising a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the EmbellishKnit. It's okay, but just okay. I have successfully used it with worsted weight yarn. The only drawback-- you have to go really slow.

With sport or fingering weight yarn, it goes fast, and you get a lot of I-cord quickly.

The drawback for me-- most things I need I-cord for is with worsted weight yarn. In the time it takes for me to use the I-cord machine, I can knit the length I need myself.

I primarily use the machine when I make cat toys. Otherwise, it collects dust.

http://isisrising.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Little Bit
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  1:39:02 PM  Show Profile Send Little Bit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I have used the Clover spool knitter with both worsted and thick yarn. It has two interchangeable disks for different widths of I-Cord and is easier to use than a regular spool knitter. It's not exactly mechanical but easier to navigate the yarn with.

Also, for chunky yarn, you can buy super sized spool knitters. I have even made chunky purse handles with them and also used fabric strips to make i-cord with.

Hope this helps,
Jan
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  7:43:16 PM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used the Clover spool with worsted also and it worked just fine.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  7:13:12 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Singer makes one? http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Knitter-Knitting-Machine-Activity/dp/B000JM1CHO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/104-4881862-1627162?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1180577396&sr=8-4
Wonder if it's any good?

Jan
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  10:00:25 PM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillstreetmama

Singer makes one? http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Knitter-Knitting-Machine-Activity/dp/B000JM1CHO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/104-4881862-1627162?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1180577396&sr=8-4
Wonder if it's any good?

Jan

I don't know and for $60 I'm not about to find out. The Clover Wonder Knitter is about $8.50 and does what I want it to.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  04:40:59 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the $60 was for TWO machines, and I don't need their "knitting machine". I assume the spool knitter is available alone somewhere.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  08:12:20 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillstreetmama

Well, the $60 was for TWO machines, and I don't need their "knitting machine". I assume the spool knitter is available alone somewhere.

Jan

Oh, sorry! Reading Is Fundamental.

Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  07:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ever heard of a Knitting Knoddy or Knitting Spool? They are easily made; just get a wooden spool and nail in anywhere from 4-9 brass picture frame brads into the top, thread yarn thru the center hole before wrapping the yarn clockwise around each brad (the loop faces out while the strand stays on the inside of nails; think boxing ring) twice, and use a crochet hook/knitting needle to pull the lower loop over the top. Repeat process to desired length. Bind or cast off normally in knitting.

Google "Knitting Knoddy or Knitting Susans" for patterns and "how to" make your own. My kids make all my i cords for me; they do it in the car, in the MD office, and etc. I always leave a noddy, a ball of yarn, crochet hook, and yarn needle in a small ziploc bag in the minivan's cubbie for them. Ahem, who needs a DVD for long trips while they can "loom knit". I have my 3 year old niece making icords!

Elsie W[meow]
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  1:18:19 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elsie, that's a great idea, except that my youngest is a 14 year old boy. He can knit, too, so don't think I can con him into making I-cord for me. I thought if I got a 'turn-the-crank' model, someone might be willing to do it just because it's "different". I can often get him (or his 15 year old sister) to wind my yarn on a rainy day. Something about the mechanics of it fascinates them, I think. Doesn't sound like there's a good mechanical one out there that will handle worsted weight. Sigh. I also thought it might be a way to use up all my leftovers, and stitch them into a rug.

Jan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?