Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Was this tacky?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

DaniW
Chatty Knitter

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  1:34:29 PM  Show Profile Send DaniW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was in a LYS and purchased some sock yarn.

I had 2 sock projects in my purse and showed them to the person at the store after I made my purchase.
One of the projects is yarn that I did not purchase there, but is discontinued yarn I found at a yard sale. Near as I can tell, the yarn was discontinued years ago.
The other project is yarn that I purchased there at the LYS.

My friend says it is tacky that I showed yarn to the person at the LYS that I did not purchase there. I don't see it, at least not in that context. I was not asking for free help, just mentioning my projects.

Tacky or not?

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  1:56:09 PM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think saying it was "tacky" is really off the mark! Most yarn store people are interested to see nice yarn, no matter where it is from. And after all, you DID purchase some yarn from the LYS!

I wouldn't consider this tacky at all!
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  2:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tacky's a little strong, but I try not to go into my LYS with yarn I pruchased elsewhere. It just seems a little iffy, not all the way to rude but somewhere on the scale, you know? I'd rather leave my knitting in the car than have to worry about it.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, FOs and a sock recipe
Go to Top of Page

Honor
Chatty Knitter

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  2:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Honor's Homepage Send Honor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope not tacky IMO.

http://www.freewebs.com/honor1871/
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  2:18:22 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No!

IMO, it would only have been tacky if you'd asked for help with your project using that yarn but, since you didn't and since you purchased new yarn from that store, there isn't any reason for them to be offended.

Not tacky at all.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  2:24:23 PM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LYS etiquette almost makes me scared to set foot in one.

Marilyn

Check out my bags at http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa254/MERTleKnits/My%20Bags/
Go to Top of Page

kpc19011
Chatty Knitter

146 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  2:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit kpc19011's Homepage Send kpc19011 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not tacky at all...what's next? We can't even wear hand-knits into the LYS?

Kris
SouthSub-Chicago

Just Let Me Finish This Row
http://kniftyred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  2:47:50 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mertle, don't worry. Go in Peace to your LYS. It shouldn't have even been an issue to the friend involved. She should have kept still. IMHO, it was a bit silly of the friend.

Kris, I was thinking the same thing. Beat me to it.[:00]

Lella
[img]http://www.geocities.com/zippianna/turtle.gif[/img]

My little blog
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  2:49:35 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kpc19011

Not tacky at all...what's next? We can't even wear hand-knits into the LYS?

And heaven forbid you show up at Nordstrom wearing an outfit you bought at Macy's! If this is tacky, then LYS owners are far far too sensative to be working in retail sales.

http://blog.kittyknitter.com
My blog at Kitty's Knitterbox
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  2:54:45 PM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People are always encouraged to bring a selection of yarns to freeform classes to work with and swap. A smart yarn store owner knows that when one person finds a yummy yarn and brings it back to the table, the other students get caught up in the buying frenzy. And how are you supposed to know what you need if you can't compare it to what you have?

And even if it is clearly stated that the class is free because they expect you to buy your yarn for the project at the store, I wouldn't hesitate to bring some of my stash that I might want to add to the project. Or maybe I could buy some unrelated yarns for a future project instead. The shop owners know that I buy yarn (in fact, I'm addicted). I've given up on being self-concious a long time ago. And it really is just commmon sense ettiquette. I wouldn't walk out empty-handed.

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

daizie_ray
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  4:26:11 PM  Show Profile Send daizie_ray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that it is tacky. You might have shown the LYS what color you are interested in by showing off your yarn. My mom owned a cross-stitch store and she always looked at anyone's project, no matter where it came from. Mom also was able to see what other people liked so she could get similar things for her store. It is good to know what is on the market. IMO
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  4:46:16 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, the only thing I would call "tacky" would be HABITUALLY purchasing yarn at some other shop "because it's cheaper" and then expecting the LYS owner to help you with what you knit. Otherwise, you seem to have sold your soul to whoever sold you your first yarn.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

knitwitch39
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  4:52:38 PM  Show Profile Send knitwitch39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's tacky at all. My main LYS welcomes yarns-not-purchased-at-her-store, although I know she prefers us to buy what she stocks from her. She says its a good way to see some brands and colors *in the flesh* that she may not be carrying or even aware of.

I think your friend over-reacted on this one.

Yvonne

*The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.* Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  4:56:10 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not tacky at all. You weren't sneering at the LYS owner or clerk you were sharing.

Anyone who thinks this is tacky needs to get a different hobby or maybe a life.

When I owned my store I used to beg my customers to bring in samples of yarn they got elsewhere or pictures of sweaters they made. We had a rogues gallery on the wall of finished sweaters and other objects and not all were from my yarn by any means.

From an ethical standpoint I did it to promote fiber as a social activity that has a positive social value. The community of knitters and other fiber hobbies doesn't do drugs, abuse children or suffer from high percentages of unwed pregnancy or abortion. It makes people feel good about themselves and fills a profound need to create.

From a practical standpoint, customers saw other people's FOs and were often inspired to do something similar or moreso. If I didn't have the yarn, they would often ask me to put together something just for them or write a pattern out and customize the yarn so their project would be unique. They bought more of my stuff when they were inspired by other stuff. (Machiavelli had nothing on me)(Bwhaa-haa-haa)

Course, there was the picture of Anne's husband and the lawn mower that hung near the register. He stands there, mighty hunter with his foot on the mower and his immense gut shining in the sunlight. We put it up because he was so cute and so proud of himself, that he brought the mower home. My husband titled it "fatso" in small, discreet letters. Two or three years later as Roy worked at a computer show nearly 100 miles away a young, lovely woman cruised the room and kept coming back to him. His ego began to inflate, thinking he still had IT, if he could attract such a pretty young thing. Until she stood in front of him and exclaimed "I know you, you're fatso" Her mother was a steady customer and so was she when she was home from college.

Roy has never forgiven any of us. He blames all knitters for the humiliation.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  4:57:01 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often show the LYSO things that I'm working on, and not all the yarn is from her. Sometimes she likes what I have so much, she orders it for the store. That's why she has Malabrigo, and just ordered Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn. She also ordered some needles and the GoKnit bags because I showed her things I bought online. SHE doesn't always have time to surf the net, and likes to hear about new things. As long as you are a customer, and are not trying to send other customers to a competitor, I see nothing wrong with showing her your stuff.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  5:06:47 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a LYSO- not tacky at all!

Sharing the info on great fibers out there that we are not aware of.

We love hearing about stuff we are not aware of- if it wasn't for situations like this- we would never know about and be able to persue. KL
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  10:53:23 PM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dani, it was not the least bit tacky.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  01:02:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NOT tacky at all! Employees and owners love seeing what people make, even if the yarn isn't from the store.

Midnightsky Fibers
Vegetarian and Environmentally Friendly Handspun & painted yarns, fibers, and kits
Midnightsky Fibers Livejournal
Midnightsky Fibers Blog
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  05:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not tacky. If my LYSO thought it was tacky, I would take my business somewhere.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Old Knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
790 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  05:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Old Knitter's Homepage Send Old Knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine owns a yarn store and not only does she not mind if you buy yarn in other stores, if you're wanting to do a project and she doesn't feel she can offer you the perfect yarn for that project she will suggest which other yarn store might have it.

Her store is booming all the time and I think it's her love of yarn, knitting and her joy in chatting with people. If we ever go to Store B she knows we'll be back to Store A........

www.knittinghaven.com
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  05:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I walked into Cast-On Cottage in Roswell, Georgia once to buy some yarn. I was wearing the SHOCKING! skirt from IK made with yarn I bought at Elann. The employees oohed and ahhed and made me model in front of the class going on and the other patrons in the store.

You know that made me want to buy even more yarn from them.

Amanda Takes Off... and Amanda Knits

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?