Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Now I'm having dreams about knitting!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Durango
Chatty Knitter

181 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  11:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Durango's Homepage Send Durango a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been knitting for about 6 months, but I don't remember having a knitting dream before. This one was nice, not bizarre like most of my dreams. I was knitting a VERY pretty lace shawl, then when I got a little chilly, I wore it for fun (and to show off a bit) while it was still on the needles. That shawl was so beautiful, I think I might have to try knitting it at some point in my life.

Who else has knitting dreams, and what are they like? Inspiration? Nightmares?

Lynn

gallant_duck
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  11:50:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit gallant_duck's Homepage Send gallant_duck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the time! It's how I knew knitting had become more than just a hobby.

The knitting dream that will always stay with me was about taking a friend of mine to my LYS. She'd never knit before and I was keen to show her what it's all about. So there we were, and she was really getting into it! Suddenly she did something that none of us had ever seen. It was AMAZING! She'd invented a brand new kind of knitting! It looked so complex, yet it was incredibly simple:

Create a slip knot and place it on your needle. Then, very carefully, take a second needle and pierce through the hole between the yarn and the first needle. Loop your yarn around the second, pull just tightly enough to secure the yarn and draw the wrapped yarn through the loop, all the while making sure it stays on the second needle. And voila!

I had about eight seconds of feeling like a complete genius before I realised that's just knitting.

emmms

http://erqsome.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Durango
Chatty Knitter

181 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  12:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Durango's Homepage Send Durango a Private Message  Reply with Quote
emms, I'm lol about your friend's new way of knitting.

Lynn
Go to Top of Page

daizie_ray
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  12:31:55 PM  Show Profile Send daizie_ray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dream about knitting alot. Now if I could just figure out how to knit in real life while I am dreaming that would be great!
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  03:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I'd dream about knitting! Maybe I'd feel rested. I usually dream about work. :(

http://diaryofaneccentric.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

needlessharon
Warming Up

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  12:29:41 PM  Show Profile Send needlessharon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
some times when I can't fall back to sleep.....I picture myself knitting away until I eventually fall back to sheep.....I mean sleep.[:00] Imagine if we could knit while asleep.......I always laugh and tell people....if only I could knit with my feet.[:00]

needlessharon
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  12:56:32 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I design odd things when I sleep. There was an ugly incident earlier this spring involving a lavender lace starched hippopotamus. Knitting it wasn't too hard, but stretching and starching it over the form was a bugger.

I do not want to know who's running my subconscious.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

KBerry
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
486 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  6:30:45 PM  Show Profile Send KBerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by needlessharon

some times when I can't fall back to sleep.....I picture myself knitting away until I eventually fall back to sheep.....I mean sleep.[:00]

Maybe that is what I need to do more often. Here lately, I've been thinking WAY too much about work.
Need to knit! Need to knit! Watch the happy needles....you are getting sleepy!

Kristin

I'm only as strong as the coffee I drink, the hairspray that I use, and the friends that I have!
Go to Top of Page

Larjmarj
Chatty Knitter

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  7:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Larjmarj's Homepage Send Larjmarj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a dream about the Henry Rollins doll in the second Stitch and bee-hotch book, only he wasn't a doll and
......oh never mind, you get the picture.

http://knizzlefoshizzle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  7:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I dream about design configurations or neew combinations of fiber and clay. These dreams inspire me to create new designs! It's awesome!

Scarf It Up!
Wearable & Functional Fiber Arts
Port City Pottery & Fine Crafts
Wilmington NC

http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://creativewilmington.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup

Go to Top of Page

mcmircle
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  8:19:36 PM  Show Profile Send mcmircle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several years ago I had a dream about knitting a wall hanging for my son as a way of connecting him and me to my Jewish heritage. When I woke up I just had to make the piece. It required intarsia, which I had never done.

I did make the piece and it hung in his room for several years. The intarsia part did not come out very well, but the dream was wonderful and he liked having something I had made just for him.

I miss having dreams like that one.
Go to Top of Page

Isis Rising
Chatty Knitter

320 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  8:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Isis Rising's Homepage Send Isis Rising a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I watched a Canadian documentary a few weeks ago, with people who do things like eat, drive their cars, play video games, etc. all while sleeping. If I could get myself to sleep-knit, I'd be able to finally knit all the stuff I want to.

Felicia, who blogs at http://isisrising.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

linda knits
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  05:45:44 AM  Show Profile Send linda knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dream about knitting all the time, I notice when Ido. I wake up pretty happy.It's like watching the walton's every day. makes for a calming rest of the day. Linda
Go to Top of Page

NuttyKnitter101
Chatty Knitter

338 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  06:31:14 AM  Show Profile Send NuttyKnitter101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really dream about knitting so much as i dream about yarn. There was one dream where the police was chasing me down for the soul reason that i owned a purple ball of yarn...

I didn't say that they made sense! =P

[img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,knitting,white,blue.png[/img]

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
Go to Top of Page

Yelena_knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
898 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  07:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yelena_knitter's Homepage Send Yelena_knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To see a shawl in your dream- it means you will have a darling guest in your house.
I also see dreams about knitting all the time!

----------------------------
if you see some mistakes in my writting,please,correct me! I'm still in process of learning english...
--------------------
http://foto.int-world.com/user1723035.html
-------------------
Yelena.
Go to Top of Page

Annabelle
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  07:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Annabelle a Yahoo! Message Send Annabelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larjmarj

I had a dream about the Henry Rollins doll in the second Stitch and bee-hotch book, only he wasn't a doll and
......oh never mind, you get the picture.

http://knizzlefoshizzle.blogspot.com/

LOL!! I hear ya

I thought I was the only one who dreamed about knitting so I never admitted it to anyone. I thought I was just that nerdy to dream about yarn, but now I know it's not nerdy and it's normal. Like Linda Knits said, I'm happy the rest of the day if I dream about knitting (and not about work for once).

http://annabelle78.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

daizie_ray
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  12:06:57 PM  Show Profile Send daizie_ray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just love this place!! We can be honest and learn that we are not alone in our love of knitting. My dh just laughts when I tell him about my knitting dreams. But he dreams about computer things so I guess what your passion is it will show.
Go to Top of Page

Knotingale
New Pal

30 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  1:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knotingale's Homepage Send Knotingale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often dream of knitting. My most memorable dream occurred just after I knitted a sweater, Sonnet, from Knitty.com. It fit right at first, but then it became too big. I was just beginning to figure out why it kept growing so much wider, when I literally dreamt the answer.

At the time, I was reading Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman (EZ). Here's what I dreamed:

The central figure in my dream was a knitter who resembled EZ. She lived in England, with another woman, who may have resembled Meg Swanson. They had an 'inside' joke about Knitting Sideways Spencers. The abbr. was KSS (notice similarity to SSK). It was meant to point out how ridiculous it was to do certain things. I.E. if you were attempting a task that was doomed to failure, you were knitting a sideways spencer. In my dream, these two were laughing and making fun of anyone who would knit sideways. Their explanation was that knitting any sweater sideways results in a fabric that stretches out to be wider, rather than longer. This makes the sweater not fit. A sweater can be longer than it was intended and it is not a failure. Too wide, and it looks awful and is a failure. These knitters had an embroidered 'sampler' or motto that said "KSS". I think it was also a play on the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) motto.

When I woke up from this dream, it still seemed real to me. I couldn't shrug it off as an odd dream, I thought that there was more there. Later, a quick google told me that the Sideways Spencer is a pattern in the '04 IK. A spencer is a short, close fitting jacket. I didn't remember looking at that pattern; I don't even have that issue of IK. I suppose that I remembered the pattern name from the internet and that the dream springs from my realization that my Sonnet, which is knit sideways, will continue to grow in width, not length like a regular knit sweater.

The dream answered my questions about sideways knits, but I still wonder if Elizabeth Zimmerman is laughing at me.

Knotingale

'Knitting my way through...'
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3463 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  8:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a knitting dream the other day: I dreamt that Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably were staying at my house for a week! Actually, it wasn't the house I live in but some beautiful stone house. It's probably because I went to bed reading the new Rowan magazine with an article on "Kaffe Fassett's summer house collection".

I have a recurring knitting dream where I keep going to this cute yarn store tucked in Harvard Square on Bow St. But there's no yarn store on Bow St! Maybe it's a sign that I need to open one...
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  10:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually you can knit while you are asleep, at least I do. I will be sitting in my knitting chair, knitting around and around and fall asleep and just keep on knitting. I can't guarantee the results if a pattern is involved! Just like I will be on the phone with someone and start to snore (hate to admit that) and the person I'm on with will say "your snoring!" I reply "yes, but keep talking, I hear you." Maybe I'm just so tired I keep going on automatic. Now if I could only de-clutter my dining room table in my sleep!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  3:11:54 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minh, could you stream your unconscious to me? Dreaming that Kaffe and Brandon were in your beautiful stone house for a week!

Woo hoo!

Anna
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by