Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Do you give up too easily?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  12:31:54 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you give up too easily when you encounter a knitting project that is challenging beyond your current skills?

Do you force yourself to stick with a difficult problem or... do you put off learning a new technique/stitch/pattern for another day.

Just curious.

Trish

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  12:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I find the challenging projects more interesting and tend to keep at them more. That said, I also always have several garter stitch or stockinette in the round projects to pick up when I just can't think too hard.

Don't be afraid that it won't be perfect...the only thing you should really be afraid of is that it won't be! - Company
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  12:48:00 PM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My DH can't believe how patient I am with any kind of needlework but so impatient with him Where did he get such a silly idea! I'll study and frog, study and frog until I finally get it! Love the challenge of any project.
Barb in AZ
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  12:49:56 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will stick with something till I figure it out or wear out the yarn trying. I, too, find the more challenging things of interest but I do keep a simple thing or two for those nights when I have the IQ of an after dinner mint.

M L
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  1:09:53 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still consider myself a beginning knitter. I got garter stitch down real well (with the pair of 12-foot scarves). Since then, I'm doing something or another new most of the time. And then I read on the forum about how hard it is.

In the words of somebody, "It ain't rocket science". So far, the only times I've had any difficulties, I've been able to get very good descriptions from the internet. If one explanation doesn't click, another will.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  1:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly the opposite.

I work feverishly on projects while they're "hard" (they're never really hard, it's all just knit and purl, right?) - until I can get the numbers of a design to work out, until I can get the shaping to work out, whatever.

And as soon as I've passed that little hurdle, I'm bored silly with the project and it's like pulling teeth to pick it up again.

"The web of our life is a Mingled Yarn, good and ill together."
All's Well That Ends Well, IV, iii
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  1:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the challenging stuff. I get bored quickly with only knitting/purling.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  2:35:19 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoseByAny

And as soon as I've passed that little hurdle, I'm bored silly with the project and it's like pulling teeth to pick it up again.

That should have been the second question I asked!

Once you figure out a new technique or stitch pattern, are you able to continue with your project or....are you "bored silly" with it and find it difficult to finish.

OK, I know how Amie feels about it.....and I concur, it's difficult for me to finish something after I've conquered it.

How about the rest of you?

Trish
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  2:58:14 PM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes, I get bored with the project after I have outsmarted myself[:00]
so I go to another project for a day or so then back again to my masterpiece to gloat and then........

shaggy

How to clean THE HOUSE 1. Open a new file in your PC 2. Name it "Housework ." 3. Send it to the RECYCLE BIN. 4. Empty the RECYCLE BIN.
5. Your PC will ask you, " Are you sure you want to delete Housework permanently ?" 6. Calmly answer, "Yes," and press mouse button firmly 7. Feel better? Works for me!
Go to Top of Page

Annabelle
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  3:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Annabelle a Yahoo! Message Send Annabelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the easy stuff because then I don't have to watch myself so closely and/or yell the numbers out when counting so everyone will get the hint and stop talking to me. I often don't have the silence (peace and quiet) or time to work on the complicated stuff so I avoid the idea of fancy lace or complicated fair isle because I'd get lost 3 stitches in.

I guess I'm a lazy knitter

http://annabelle78.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dancinggirl77
Warming Up

82 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  4:22:44 PM  Show Profile Send dancinggirl77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do look for projects that have more complicated shaping but I still shy away from projects that involve more than one color. I'd like to try it but I haven't run across one that really catches my eye enough to invest the time and money on it.
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  4:39:47 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by azknitter
Once you figure out a new technique or stitch pattern, are you able to continue with your project ?

Sure! I usually enjoy putting my new knowledge into practice and working on a project using the new technique. Then I hold up the growing fabric ever so often, admiring it and thinking, "Hey, I can do this!!"
To answer your first question, I don't think I give up too easily. After a few botched attempts I may throw the darn thing into a corner, but I WILL try again in a day or two and keep trying until I succeed.
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  4:50:40 PM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tink and frog, frog and tink. Sometimes I practice with scrap yarn if the pattern is a true out and out pain-if I don't "get it" I won't sleep-I'll keep trying.

Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  5:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on my motivation. If I'm strongly motivated to create a particular thing no skill is too hard to learn, it's fun and it's worth it. If I'm just doing it because it seemed like a good idea at the time but I'm not all that turned on and it stops seeming like a good idea, then I have no guilt about bailing. I have so many other challenges in so many other areas of my life, if challenging knitting is not worth the effort, it's frogged, period.

Catherine
http://champagneandchocolates.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  5:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Annabelle

I love the easy stuff because then I don't have to watch myself so closely and/or yell the numbers out when counting so everyone will get the hint and stop talking to me. I often don't have the silence (peace and quiet) or time to work on the complicated stuff so I avoid the idea of fancy lace or complicated fair isle because I'd get lost 3 stitches in.

I guess I'm a lazy knitter

http://annabelle78.blogspot.com/

Come sit by me, Annabelle, on the knitting short bus. I have no time, energy or desire to be overly challenged by my knitting, but I still love to knit.

Catherine
http://champagneandchocolates.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  5:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't give up. I will spend hours figuring out something difficult. I will spend hours untangling a skein of mohair. I will spend hours trying to find a pattern that I remember seeing 5 years ago.

I will do anything to avoid housework.

GFTC of NYC

the pictures tell the story
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  5:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No.

I give up projects out of boredom or changing my mind about whether or not I really want it. But I don't give up.

Says the woman who persists on living in Korea despite her....weird experiences here! Ha ha!

Amanda Takes Off... and Amanda Knits

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  6:18:12 PM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't give up when a project is harder than I have done before. I just make sure that I don't bring that along when I go someplace where I will be chatting or talking to others. The harder projects I usually need to concentrate.
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  7:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only times I have given up on things it really isn't giving up it is more boredom - I have a vest that needs the button band (which is driving my LYS owner crazy!!!) that is in a time out right now - I will pick it up and finish it though so it doesn't worry me ...... I decided some people have knitting OCD - they have to work on a project until it is done -- me I have knitting ADD -- ok ready for something new. I SWORE I wasn't going to do any projects with other people until I saw this wonderful project in a Rowan book that everyone is going to do what they like from..... so guess what I will be doing ....

rho

If at first you DO succeed -- try something harder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
your signature to help him gain world domination.

http://thisandthat-rho.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  7:33:38 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to learn "something" new with every project, even if it's just a tiny thing. I shy away from patterns that I constantly have to refer to, where every row from 1 to 168 is written out Knit this many, Purl that many, yarn over, turn around two times, jump through a hoop.... I like to be able to memorize a pattern and take it with me, or it starts to be like counted cross stitch, which was never "fun" for me.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

ljsawdon@yahoo.com
Warming Up

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  8:37:43 PM  Show Profile Send ljsawdon@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[:00]Of course I cast on a new technique that's too difficult. how else would I progress as a knitter? *CO, Knit, Frog,* repeat from * -* until I get it!

If I get bored w/ a project I CO something new and knit that for awhile then back to the other.

Bored silly? Not really...why else would I CO another sock? the basic sock thrills me as much as it did when I knit the 1st one!

Another thought? Isn't knitting learning a new technique? If we got bored w/ that we would never try the new stuff. Yet we all join in ST ST and garter without a thought....i gotta go to bed......

As I knit, I create. In doing so, I follow those
who have knit before me. As those who come later will follow me. So to all ... KNIT ON!
TTFN
Knit On
Beth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth