Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Natural Dyes
 dyeing with lichen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

susiequeue
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  2:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit susiequeue's Homepage Send susiequeue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw directions for dyeing yarn with lichen to create lavender colors. I am wondering if anybody has done this successfully. I have been fermenting crushed lichen in ammonia and water for over 4 weeks now, waiting for it to turn red, and it is still brown! How long does it take to ferment to a red color? I am wondering if I am doing something wrong?

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  05:59:14 AM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never tried lichen. You may try the Natural Dyes yahoo group.

There are different types of lichen, so I imagine different ones yield different colours.

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  5:09:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, lichens take many years to reproduce themselves so it is important to only take the amount needed or, if there is not a great amount of that particular lichen in the area, leave it alone.

I have only dyed once with lichen (bought from a craft store) many years ago so I have forgotten how I went about it but it must have been fairly simple or I wouldn't have done it! If you look in the library in natural dye books you may find some information. I have a small NZ booklet, Natural Wool Dyes and Recipes, written by Ann Milner and first published in 1971, which includes some information about dyeing with lichens. Mostly it seems the lichen is bruised and placed in a muslin bag and simmered for two hours or so. The bag is removed and the wool is placed in the dyebath and simmered for two hours. Remember, simmering is very gentle - boiling could ruin the effect of the dye and damage the wool.

Try googling lichen dyeing for more info here and here are two links which show some photos of lichens which may be in your area. Note that not all lichens yield colour.

Have fun!

KathyR
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

susiequeue
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  09:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit susiequeue's Homepage Send susiequeue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KathyR

First of all, lichens take many years to reproduce themselves so it is important to only take the amount needed or, if there is not a great amount of that particular lichen in the area, leave it alone.

I have only dyed once with lichen (bought from a craft store) many years ago so I have forgotten how I went about it but it must have been fairly simple or I wouldn't have done it! If you look in the library in natural dye books you may find some information. I have a small NZ booklet, Natural Wool Dyes and Recipes, written by Ann Milner and first published in 1971, which includes some information about dyeing with lichens. Mostly it seems the lichen is bruised and placed in a muslin bag and simmered for two hours or so. The bag is removed and the wool is placed in the dyebath and simmered for two hours. Remember, simmering is very gentle - boiling could ruin the effect of the dye and damage the wool.

Try googling lichen dyeing for more info here and here are two links which show some photos of lichens which may be in your area. Note that not all lichens yield colour.

Have fun!

KathyR
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
My Blog

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?