Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Melanie Falick's Weekend Knitting!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  8:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My B&N had this delightful book on the shelf this evening, and I spent a long time going through it. (I've already spent my "fun" money for the month or it would have come home with me - and yes I know it's only the 1st.) The patterns are fun and just challenging enough to keep me interested. The photos are fabulous. The extras are so much fun that I found myself grinning as I read. I'll keep the extras a secret for now - suffice it to say that Falick includes several things that generally accompany a relaxing weekend knitting.

Kristin

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  04:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We got this in at our store the other day, but by the time I got home my brain was too addled to post about it! It does have a great mix of patterns and ideas (not to mention all those extras!), and it's also a really well-produced book. Good photos on good paper make all the difference to me. I'm going to get one for myself, rather than browsing through it when I should be working!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  04:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane,

You know, the quality of the paper does make a difference. I didn't mention it in my post, but it just felt good to page through it. Plus, when working with a book of patterns, it is nice that the paper is heavy enough to withstand the amount of usage it is likely to get. Good grief, I may have to buy this book sooner rather than later.

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

chrisknit
Chatty Knitter

Australia
279 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  2:35:14 PM  Show Profile Send chrisknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I saw this book just yesterday while browsing online at Knitpicks. It looked really good and I was sorely tempted ... you guys have made me want it all the more. I'll see if it's cheaper at Amazon I think
Thanks a lot guys
Chrissy

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2085 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  3:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.
Kristin, I am glad you started the thread for this book.
My quilt group gave me a gift certificate as a birthday gift for my fav LYS - this book may just be the thing for that sweet gift!
Thanks for all you all have noted about it as I love Melanie's writings & I have enjoyed her other books as well as INTERWEAVE KNITS when she was their editor.
Martha

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  5:11:34 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love all the book references here. I think I've blown my book budget for the decade, but every time I read about a particularly good book or writer, I check my library system to see if they have anything.

They don't have weekend knits, but they do have other of her books, so I've put a request in, and I'll get a look.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  8:56:55 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lucky you! Every time I check my library, the knitting books are decades old-- (and often *not* the kind of decades old I'd be interested in making!) :)

If I could though-- it's a great idea. I'd copy the patterns I was interested in and save some cash! :)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  8:57:42 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me add though-- If I like several of the patterns in the book, that one needs to go in my collection! :) Gotta keep the good ones in business :)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  9:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The B&N around the corner from me has either cut back their knitting book section or the books are just selling out too quickly for the amount of stock they are planning. The B&N 2 blocks away is much bigger and they have a huge knitting section so I will check there for this book. It sounds so good and I don't have any of Melanie Falick's books.

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  03:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I found a mention of Knitter's Review in Weekend Knits! I won't tell you where, I'll let it be another one of the "extras"...

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  06:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NO WAY!!!!!!!!!! Sad to say, I didn't know about this. But I do know that MF's publishers were OK with the idea of us publishing an excerpt from this book in KR. So stay tuned...

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Bookworm
Chatty Knitter

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  07:06:34 AM  Show Profile Send Bookworm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am jealous about having TWO B&N's so close! I have to go almost 100 miles to find one. Our local Books a Million does carry InKnitters, IK, VK, and FCEK along with a recently better selection of knitting books. Could be worse. I will definitely give Weekend Knits serious consideration when it gets there or maybe I will have to check Amazon.

Hazel

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  10:13:04 AM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went to my local B&N to check for this book...didn't find it Is there any way you can put in a special order and then just browse, or are you obligated at this point to buy it? I wish there were a way for me just to look through the book...

Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  3:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Our B&N is very accomadating, so they probably won't mind ordering a book without obligating you to buy. As for mine, for a long time there were no new knitting books, but for the last month I have found at least two new books every week. My guess is that they are clueing into what's popular right now. I have to admit, though, that once I've decided to get a book I check with overstock.com first. Their prices are just soooo much better.

Also, my LYS that currently resides out in the country in a woman's home/workshop with limited hours will be moving their knitting stuff into town next month, and they have a fabulous book selection. They carry a lot of stuff that is out of print or hard to find in the big book chains.

Clara - I can't believe I forgot to mention the KR note in the book! Whoops!

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

Gayle D

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  3:51:07 PM  Show Profile Send Gayle D a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought this book, and I am excited about trying some of the projects. It has a really nice variety.
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  5:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tell me the extras! pppuuuullllllleeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! PM me if you have to, but I HAVE to know. Hey, I might not want to buy it if you don't tell me.
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  05:56:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, extras include things that go with a relaxing weekend of knitting - think book lists and instructions on the perfect pot of tea. To tell you more would be to ruin the fun! My copy arrived a couple of days ago, and I read it cover to cover just because it was so much fun.

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  10:41:47 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok guys!!! Thats it, im going to Amazon.com right now and order it. I have been really eyeing this book lately and wondering if it is any good. Now I just have to order it. Especially for those fun extra things that are implied. I will get back and let you know how I liked it soon. Thanks again for such wonderful tips. I love it here!!!

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  6:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm getting it. Might have to wait untill after my birthday for it (which is next week) but I'll get it. Off Amazon. You can get it paired with the Purl Stitch for $31.44!!! too tempting!
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  7:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again, I want to point everyone to Overstock.com. I learned about it from someone else on KR, and use it for almost all of my book purchases now. I bought Weekend Knits at 40% off. They routinly beat amazon's prices. (In fact, they show the difference on their page.) Shipping is very cheap, and my books have always come in perfect shape!

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  9:58:30 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kristin--

Thanks a LOT!! LOL :) At the pricing of overstock (plus the cheap shipping--even out here to HI) I just ordered myself a copy... LOL. Thanks for pointing us to a better price! :)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.