Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Needle Size for Worsted Weight Yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mominpink@yahoo.com
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  08:48:51 AM  Show Profile Send mominpink@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the smallest needle size you use to knit a sock with worsted weight yarn?

Monica

Monica

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  09:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used size 6 with good results.

PAM

WIP = Branches and Bobbles Afghan, Raglan Sweater

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby), Knitted Charity Squares, Top-Down Sweater, Project Linus Baby Blanket (2), Summer Top, Scrap Sweater, Socks (2 pair), 63 Cable Squares Afghan, Winter Hat

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

khoff
Chatty Knitter

177 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  09:39:16 AM  Show Profile Send khoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sock-shaped book "Knit Socks" recommends using a # 3 needle with worsted-weight yarn for a very dense, durable knit. I'm using #3s now with yarn that says "50g. - 104 yd. size 7 4.5 st/inch" -- I'm not sure if this is considered worsted weight or something lighter, but it's fine on the #3s.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  09:44:39 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4.5mm I originally tried the 4mm but it was too tight. I prefer the 5mm for worsted socks.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Help me walk all over cancer
Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  09:47:29 AM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used a size 4 with Elann's Peruvian Highland. I'd consider going down to a 3 next time. As a point of reference, I knit sock wieght yarns on size 0 or 1.

KS
Go to Top of Page

mominpink@yahoo.com
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  09:50:12 AM  Show Profile Send mominpink@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your replies. I'm using a 3 and getting a pretty good fabric with my swatch. I'm trying another in a size 2. I was just curious to know what works for you all.

Monica
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  3:39:41 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Lion Brand Fisherman considered worsted weight?
I made a pair of boot socks from it using size 2 needles. I can't recall my exact gauge, but I do recall that my son liked wearing the socks because he could not feel the purl ridges under his feet.
Go to Top of Page

kjwajerski
Warming Up

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  4:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit kjwajerski's Homepage Send kjwajerski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually use a size 3 (US) when using WoolEase. I knit pretty close to gauge so it's not a tight knit but I like it a lot better than size 4s.

Kathy W
http://knittingwithmyshoesoff.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  6:47:13 PM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would use a 3 with worsted weight yarn.

-- Jeri
http://soapquiltknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

spielerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  12:22:52 AM  Show Profile Send spielerd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use 4s for the leg and 3s for the heel and foot. I've done 5 pairs with worsted weight yarn this way and it's worked out great.

Debby
Go to Top of Page

Tracye
Warming Up

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  08:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tracye's Homepage  Send Tracye a Yahoo! Message Send Tracye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am currently knitting a pair of socks out of worsted weight with size 5 - 5 inch Bryspun needles. They are going to be very cozy for this winter

Wisdom Farms an Online Community for Simple Living.

www.wisdomfarms.com
Go to Top of Page

crzyboutyarn
Seriously Hooked

USA
792 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit crzyboutyarn's Homepage Send crzyboutyarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a size 6 alson

~Courtney
A Full Stash is a Happy Stash!!
http://www.confessionsofaknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

elizf
Chatty Knitter

118 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  3:34:02 PM  Show Profile Send elizf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am making a pair right now (half way thru the 2nd sock!) with two circs. I am using size 4 for the instep, and size 3 for the heel and bottom of the foot. At the toes I switched to magic looping on the size 3.

I like the dense fabric I get with the 3, and hope it will be more durable since there is no nylon in this worsted weight yarn. However the size 3 fabric has no stretch or give, which is why I went with the size 4 for the top of the foot.

Liz
Go to Top of Page

joan8904@aol.com
New Pal

48 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  3:45:23 PM  Show Profile Send joan8904@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bit off topic, but realted to Worsted Weight Yarn socks.

I'm relatively new to sock knitting and have only used sock weight yarns so far.

When you make socks from the Worsted Yarn, can you wear those socks with your 'regular' shoes or would you need to go up a half a size?

joan
Go to Top of Page

cabbagehead
Warming Up

Canada
96 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  6:42:54 PM  Show Profile Send cabbagehead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Joan,

I don't knit socks with worsted for that reason; I can't fit into my normal shoes. Anything heavier than fingering usually becomes my comfie home socks.
Go to Top of Page

elizf
Chatty Knitter

118 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  8:06:23 PM  Show Profile Send elizf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a pair of clogs that have stretched out so much that I have to wear thick socks with them or they won't stay on my feet. Thus the worsted woeght socks.

Liz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?