Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 SSK
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LadyDi
Chatty Knitter

119 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  05:45:03 AM  Show Profile Send LadyDi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been knitting for years......I thought SSK means slip 2 knitwise onto right hand needle and knit these 2 tog

I just received a sock pattern that says SSk slip 1st stitch knitwise, slip next stitch purlwise and then knit together...

Have I been doing SSK wrong all these years...

Diane

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  05:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, the version on the sock pattern you received is a "modified" version - it's my preferred method, since when I work it, it looks closer to a K2tog (which it's supposed to be mirroring) but it results in the same slant as slipping both knitwise, so do wichever you prefer.

"The web of our life is a Mingled Yarn, good and ill together."
All's Well That Ends Well, IV, iii
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  06:50:42 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always done the SSK the way you described, but I just discovered the slip 1 knitwise, slip 1 purlwise method. I thought it turned out really well. So I'm glad to read that RoseByAny uses that method all the time. I think I may start doing that myself.
Go to Top of Page

Trilby
Warming Up

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  10:35:17 AM  Show Profile Send Trilby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to clarify, you slip one st knitwise, and then slip the second (knitwise or purlwise) and then knit the two together? Because I do that and it doesn't look very good. Especially in my latest project with big wool/big needles, it looks really awkward. I don't know what I could be doing wrong.
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  11:16:53 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
here is a video

http://www.knittinghelp.com/dynamic/php/video/index.php?file=/decrease/ssk-rds.mpg

shaggy

Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  11:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knowing that someone else does it the same way, like Rose, makes me feel better.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  11:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I slip the first knitwise (which twists the stitch), then actually slip it back onto the lefthand needle (purlwise ie, without twisting it again) and knit the two together through the back. It's the same as slipping the first knitwise and the second purlwise, it just keeps the working stitches on the lefthand needle as usual.

Different people knit different ways, depending on how they hold and tension the yarn and needles. The goal of a SSK is to create a left-slanting decrease (K2tog slants to the right) so whichever way you are happiest manipulating the stitches to arrive at a left-slanting decrease is fine.

Sl1-K1-PSSO is also a left slanting decrease, but I don't like it, as in my knitting it is least like K2tog or any other decrease, so I almost never use it. But it might work better for you.

Go to Top of Page

cinderindi
Chatty Knitter

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  1:18:30 PM  Show Profile Send cinderindi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit, I guess it's right handed, but differently somehow than the videos I've seen. Anyhow, to knit two together as in K2tog, I simply insert the needle from left to right through the front loop of two stitches simultaneously. Then for the SSK, I insert the needle from right to left through the back loops of the two stitches. This creates "equal looking, but opposite slanted" decreases. The slipping part, seems less efficient to me. Simply to offer an alternative!
Go to Top of Page

fiberlicious
Permanent Resident

1637 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  1:34:42 PM  Show Profile Send fiberlicious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Rose said, either is "correct." If you're really fussy about how your decreases look, try a swatch incorporating each and see which you like best. I'm happy as long as the silly thing slants in the right direction, and find a traditional ssk easier and faster to execute than slipping the second stitch purlwise, so that's what I use.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  3:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if you're going to be fussy enough for that swatch, really go for it!

To compare symmetry, K2tog at least once - this is a right-slanting decrease.
For your left-slanting decreases, try these: (make note of which you do where!)
[!]K2togTBL (through the back loop)

[!]SSK by slipping two together knitwise, then knitting the two together

[!]SSK by slipping two individually knitwise, then knitting the two together

[!]SSK by slipping one knitwise, and the second purlwise, then knitting the two together. (or slipping the first k-wise, then slipping it back on the lefthand needle, and knitting the two together through the back loop)

[!]Sl1-K1-PSSO (slipping the first stitch knitwise)

[!]Sl1-K1-PSSO (slipping the first stitch purlwise)

There - has your head exploded yet? I may have even missed some, but they all slant left, with slight differences in appearance. Pick which of those makes you happiest, either in execution, presentation, or both, and anytime you see a left-slanting decrease, have at it. Whatever the pattern writer/designer wrote is the way they prefer to do it, but they really just mean left-slanting, so you can do whatever you want on your knitting. That makes options fun!

([:00]it's possible I may be a little sick, but I do enjoy all those options and playing around to see which I prefer - which turns out to be the SSK described in the OP)

Go to Top of Page

cinderindi
Chatty Knitter

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  4:42:18 PM  Show Profile Send cinderindi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rose, you aren't at all sick!! I for one appreciate a certain amount of what I affectionately call "nerdiness" with things. i've done those sorts of tests myself, and am glad to see that others are "perfectionist tryer-outers"!! haha.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  12:48:18 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cinderindi

I knit, I guess it's right handed, but differently somehow than the videos I've seen. Anyhow, to knit two together as in K2tog, I simply insert the needle from left to right through the front loop of two stitches simultaneously. Then for the SSK, I insert the needle from right to left through the back loops of the two stitches. This creates "equal looking, but opposite slanted" decreases. The slipping part, seems less efficient to me. Simply to offer an alternative!

What you are doing is k2tog tbl, which is a left slanting decrease, but it is not SSK. They are 2 different things.

I find the "modified SSK" easier to execute than the traditional. I do it similar to Rose. Slip the first one knitwise. Then I insert the needle as if to purl into the back of the next stitch and at the same time the left needle slips into the slipped stitch on the right needle. I don't even think about it. Then they get knitted together tbl. You end up really only slipping one stitch.

If you look at the sampler on www.knittinghelp.com you can see that the decreases look different. To me SSK looks smoother and more uniform than k2tog tbl.

I agree with Rose that you should do the one you like, but add that you should be consistent within a project as they do look slightly different.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  05:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
perhaps its the way I hold my working yarn, but I find absolutely no difficulty working the SSK the traditional way. for me it is much faster than K2tog, and looks better than either of the S K PSSO versions.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

crzyboutyarn
Seriously Hooked

USA
792 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  1:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit crzyboutyarn's Homepage Send crzyboutyarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LadyDi

I have been knitting for years......I thought SSK means slip 2 knitwise onto right hand needle and knit these 2 tog

I just received a sock pattern that says SSk slip 1st stitch knitwise, slip next stitch purlwise and then knit together...

Have I been doing SSK wrong all these years...

Diane

I do it the same way as you do

~Courtney
A Full Stash is a Happy Stash!!

My Pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knitnpurlgurl/
My Blog
http://www.confessionsofaknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  3:43:34 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's nice to be familiar with all of these decrease techniques. I've found they each have their own particular uses.

For example, when knitting a sock, I use the improved SSK and K2tog, because I like the left and right decrease stitches of the gusset and toe to match each other perfectly.

When knitting lace, I find the K2togTBL is quick, easy and works fine in most situations.

S1K1 PSSO and S1K2 PSSO are "special effects" decreases. The slipped stitch forms a ridge of yarn passing over the front of the knit stitch.
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1436 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  07:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Rose, for the summary - I'm going to print it out for test swatching. Only, I'm not sure whether the yarn doesn't play a role in how the decreases look. I've always used the modified SSK, but recently I tried K2togTBL to speed up things. Only, with the relatively thick yarn I was using I got a noticeable ridge which didn't at all to with the increases in the other half. So I used Sl1-K1-PSSO - no ridge. But with lace weight yarn I doubt the ridge would have been noticeable.

So does that mean we need to redo the test swatch for every new yarn?

Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

wiredqs@yahoo.com
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  11:57:25 PM  Show Profile Send wiredqs@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/tips_and_techniques/index.html
This is a knitting blog where a very studious knitter has a sample of the decreases, see the entry on July 20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe