Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Top Tips that work for you
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

murraymint
New Pal

Ireland
13 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  12:03:08 AM  Show Profile Send murraymint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all
I am an Irish knitter who shares a house with only the "large child" I married...... I love picking up ideas from other people. Heres one for you - how to keep my knitting needles and bits and pieces together in one handy holder...... Can you buy what we call a toilet bag roll where you live? when opened you hang it up like a clothes hanger and it has 4 zipped compartments that hold the various bits and pieces that you would have in your toilet bag. Its great for organising all the bits you may need when you are knitting... I now know where the measuring tape and sissors are when i need them. I hope this is of use to someone.
Does anyone else have any good ideas we could use to make our lives easer.
cheers
Mo

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  05:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a great idea. I have one of those in my closet that I never use! Hmmmmmmm.....

I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
Barbara

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

castelfam7625
Chatty Knitter

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  09:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit castelfam7625's Homepage Send castelfam7625 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw one on Knitty Gritty and I'm kicking myself for never hearing it before...
When knitting in the round with DPN's, after casting on and arranging stitches, use the tail and tie it (slip knot) to the "active" yarn (yarn coming from skein) to pull the needles together so they are not as jumbled on the first round.

Lisa C in Tn
http://knitternavywife.blogspot.com/
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy sh** - what
a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  09:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A clear over-the-door shoe bag is great for organizing small bits of yarn.

Amanda Takes Off... and Amanda Knits

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Go to Top of Page

crzyboutyarn
Seriously Hooked

USA
792 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  11:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit crzyboutyarn's Homepage Send crzyboutyarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are both really good Ideas... I don't have anything out of the ordinary to share though....hmmmm let me think....

~Courtney
A Full Stash is a Happy Stash!!

My Pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knitnpurlgurl/
My Blog
http://www.confessionsofaknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KromGal
Gabber Extraordinaire

594 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  1:54:02 PM  Show Profile Send KromGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When binding off, try using a crochet hook (the same size as your needles or a tad larger) in place of the right-hand needle. Do everything the same except use the hook to pull the yarn through rather than slipping the stitch over. It's much easier than with two needles!
Go to Top of Page

pyewackett
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  10:14:42 PM  Show Profile Send pyewackett a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I'm knitting something to be given as a gift, once it's finished I store it in a plastic bag with a fresh-smelling dryer sheet - after discerning, d'accordo, that the recipient isn't allergic to such scents. Whether it's stored for days or weeks (OK, sometimes months), it has a lovely fragrance. Once I wrap it, the dryer sheet goes back to the laundry room (or my husband's gym shoes).

The trick is to find a brand of sheet with a light scent that won't knock you out when you open the bag!
Go to Top of Page

murraymint
New Pal

Ireland
13 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  06:21:20 AM  Show Profile Send murraymint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there
great tips - i like the dryer sheet idea - it will make me fold and store my completed projects properly from now on....
Thank you
Mo
Go to Top of Page

Emmeknitz
Chatty Knitter

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  06:39:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Emmeknitz a Yahoo! Message Send Emmeknitz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great storage idea........I have something waiting and plan to use this idea right away.
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  09:38:21 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used small first-aid-like bag to contain small scissors, 4mm knitting needles (& other very commonly used needle), small crochet hook, 1 tapestry needle, stitch marker & waste yarns. Anytime I have the bag with me, I'm good to start & finish any project. It's like an emergency kit.
Go to Top of Page

stubbolly
Chatty Knitter

146 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  05:57:04 AM  Show Profile Send stubbolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do something kind of like Mocha --

I have a plastic pencil box that holds my notions. My stitch markers, stitch holders, point protectors, scissors, a couple of crochet hooks, needle sizer/gauge ruler, a tapestry needle, etc... I just take the box with me and all the little things that I need while knitting are right there and I don't have to keep getting up to get something I forgot to grab.
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  07:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the toilet bag roll idea (I've got a mostly unused one) - except my knitting stuff won't fit any more. I used to fit everything into a tool trolley (the ones with several boxes stacked upon each other, with a few drawers for small stuff), but now my DPNs have migrated to a cutlery organizer (the thingies you put into kitchen drawers), and my circulars live in an old record (vinyl LP) organizer - it's a sleeve similar to a ringbinder with 16 clear record-sized sleeves in it. I found it in the attic, so the price was right...

Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

FrankyandLucyknit
Warming Up

78 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  10:04:16 AM  Show Profile Send FrankyandLucyknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never used one, but I remember my grandmother had a remote holder that slung over the arm of her recliner. She kept all of her notions in the little compartments of that...as well as the remote. She never had to get up for anything.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  10:23:25 AM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use small makeup bags to hold the small stuff I need for each project. They were given to me as a suprise gift by one of my students on the last day of class--totally floored me. I also use the large gift bag they were in to carry a project. They're pretty and mean a lot.

For keeping track of rows I often make slip knots in the yarn tail and undo them when I get to where I need to be. When I'm swatching, I also use knots on the yarn tails to keep track of needle size I've used.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  2:59:43 PM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pyewackett

. . . I store it in a plastic bag with a fresh-smelling dryer sheet - after discerning, d'accordo, that the recipient isn't allergic to such scents.
This part is very, very important. I bought a beautiful new-with-tags blouse on eBay that was packed with a dryer sheet. Seemed as if the smell amplified when packed up like that. Could smell it across the room and couldn't get it in the wash fast enough! Very unpleasant headache!

Marilyn [img] http://www.websmileys.com/sm/animal/4.gif[/img]
Check out my bags here.
Go to Top of Page

elizf
Chatty Knitter

118 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  10:14:17 AM  Show Profile Send elizf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stitch markers for size 17 needles:

I was casting on for a shawl when I discovered none of my markers would fit around the needles, so I started hunting around the house for alternatives.

You know the new half-gallon cardboard cartons for milk/juice/soymilk, that have a plastic pour spout on top? And the silly little ring tab you yank out when you first open them? It turns out the ring is the perfect size marker for #17 needles. Just snip it off the cone.

Free stitch markers, and one less thing to toss in the trash!

Liz
Go to Top of Page

murraymint
New Pal

Ireland
13 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  3:09:31 PM  Show Profile Send murraymint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Liz
great idea for a stitch marker . . . maybe we could personalise the marker by making a little pompom to attach to it from our stash or use anything else that takes our fancy. Thanks for that
Mo
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  7:36:44 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wrap rubber bands around the ends of double-point knitting needles to prevent stitches from slipping off when you finish knitting.

Rubber bands also come in handy when working the heel flap on a top-down sock. Leave the instep stitches on one needle and put rubber bands on both ends of the needle to secure the stitches. That way there's no need to slip stitches onto a special stitch holder.
Go to Top of Page

pyewackett
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  9:23:46 PM  Show Profile Send pyewackett a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elkymama, I'm also a fan of the bands. I wrap rubber bands around the ends of circular needles since I've had so many point protectors fly off. It's very helpful when knitting top-down sweaters (OK, to date I've only knit one) - since you can try on the sweater as you work, it keeps all the lovely stitches extra safe.

Re: gauge swatches - to remember what size needle I used, I tie the equivalent amount of knots in the cast-on tail. I usually end up making a couple of swatches, since I knit tight with metal and loose with wood, so it's helpful to tell what size needle worked!
Go to Top of Page

PamelaA3
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  07:46:21 AM  Show Profile Send PamelaA3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Years ago I took machine knitting lessons and learned a few things that we don't see in hand knitting. Swatch making is different due to the fact that the needles have fixed space between them. But their way of swatching gives exact measurement for sweaters like I have never seen. I have adapted it a little. Cast on at least 46 stitches or more so that you can get at least 4 inches of knitting to measure, with extra stitches on each side. I measure the center 40 stitches without dropping any fractions. Measure more than once on a slick surface so you don't stretch out your swatch. Convert the fractions to decimals and devide this number into the 40 stitches. It gives the most accurate gauge I have found. I measure first, wash and dry, measure again. The second measurement is what I base the cast on number of stitches from. I use the first measurement to make sure I am staying on gauge while I am knitting. My work may be smaller or larger while knitting, depending on what the swatch does after washing. Example: I may get a number like 5.20 stitches per inch. Now multiply the 5.20 stitches per inch X the number of sweater inches you need. Be sure to add ease. If I drop that fraction it will change the sweater size around most middle size bodies by one whole size or two inches. Measure very carefully, and use your calculator.
Each 1/8 inch is .125
1/8 = .125
1/4 = .250
3/8 = .375
1/2 = .50
5/8 = .625
3/4 = .75
7/8 = .875

If you loose this chart just add .125 for each 1/8 inch of measurement. Surprisingly, I find that my swatches tend to expand more often than shrink in width after washing and drying. I use wool or wool blends most often.

Also, we learned to do a ktog, yo along the bottom edge of the swatch for the needle size, one for each size. The gauge never gets lost.

If the gauge is confusing, I am glad to clarify.

Pam
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  12:37:50 AM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great ideas! The toiletry bag and LP Sleeves are great ideas for storing circs! I need to do something with mine. I can never find the ones that aren't still attatched to unfinished projects. I keep buying new ones. It's like the Bermuda Triangle of circs around here!

I love the pull tab ring for a size 17 stitch marker! I bought a bag of colorful rubber bands in assorted sizes at the 99cent store that might work, too. I was thinking of using the smaller ones as ring markers when making hats, but now I can see that the larger sizes will be helpful, too. There are so many in the package, that I thought I could share them with friends at the guilds and SnB's that I belong to.

I am a real fan of the little rubber bands that are tied around my bags of tropical fish and plants. I have tons of them. They are sturdier than the pretty little ones. I wrap them on the ends of my DPNs to turn them into straights for small projects (even up to 12" widths), and when it's time to set aside the unfinished project, the band from the unused needle goes on the other end of the one with the knitting and keeps the stitches from falling off in my bag. Lately, I've been keeping a third one on my pinkie finger to remind me to use it to bind the two ends of my DPNs or my circs to keep everything together when I finish, even if it's just for a moment (I'm notorious for pulling needles out of my work as soon as I pick it up again!).

Pam, thanks for the descriptive post on swatching. I like the idea of knots on the tail, but to actually knit in holes is brilliant!

I'm going to remember to tie the tail to the working yarn the next time I'm knitting in the round! And when I do learn to knit a sock, I hope I remember the DPN trick with the rubber bands.

One of my favorite containers is the plastic tube that M & M's come in. They come in lots of colors, so each of your friends can have a different color and you won't accidently switch them. The larger tube is just long enough to store your Boye or Bates hooks. Unfortunately, the only DPNs I've found that will fit are Brittanys. The small tubes can hold needles, pins, stitch markers, seam rippers, etc. I even use a tube to carry a pencil, a mechanical pencil and even an xacto knife when I have to work at the studio (I usually do my animation drawing at home). I haven't seen these containers in most candy aisles, but I have found them at Toys "R" Us for some reason! They seem to always have the larger tubes, but I've only seen the small ones in "wood-grain" and turquoise. They were promotional for the "Pirates of the Carribean" movie. The bonus to buying these tubes is that you get to eat the M & Ms!

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.