Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 I'm at a loss...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  04:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My family's shrinking...my married daughter is now single, and DH and parents on both sides are deceased...Still I have 2 lovely kids and a great sister and nephew. But I've knit 'em all sweaters and scarves, and either fingerless gloves or socks. Any new ideas?

-- Marg (stumped) in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com

mrssuem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
457 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  08:54:41 AM  Show Profile Send mrssuem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there is always an afghan for one of them, if you like big projects, or even personalized Christmas stockings. Do they have hats to match the scarves or fingerless gloves? Those are off the top of my head. Let's see how many more ideas can be added to help Marg out. I bet you will find one or two ideas that will spark your interest. Sue
Go to Top of Page

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  09:58:41 AM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Felted clogs from the Fiber Trend pattern! I made a pair for myself and every single person (related and not related) who has seen them has wanted to try them on and then asks for a pair.

-Elizabeth in Alabama
"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity."
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  2:06:58 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the ladies in the family how a fancy purse/clutch?
They have some that are very small done with basic cables to larger purses done with Fair Isle or intarsia.

There also shoulder bags or overnight bags?

Karen
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  4:03:25 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Toys? Their favorite critter knit in realistic or, for fun, in a totally unrealistic color? Grown-ups like toys, too, you know. My SIL has quite a collection now, including the cow that walks down an incline (old style toy) and a somersaulting monkey -- and a knit cow (big one -- complete with you know what) and a little calf and tiny lamb and will be getting a frog.... They have an organic dairy farm in Maine, which is why all the cows. I have, however, been informed that the rust brown color I used for the cow (solid color, not B&W) is more like a Guernsey than the Jerseys they have. Oh well. I got a couple of packages of mill end skeins at the thrift shop and have made two big cows, four little ones, some other toys that could be that color, and still have a bunch. One more cow to make but maybe I need a good monkey pattern next.... (Not soft enough for clothing, unfortunately.)

sja
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  4:09:43 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sja
Good point on the adult toys. ALan Dart's patterns. There are Holioday gnomes mentioned in a thread in Random Knitting.
Meanwhile I have Alan Dart's pattern for the pirate (Barnicle Bill) and I am looking foreward to the mermaid. (I have not started the pirate as I am trying to finish some small wips that have deadlines)
Karen
Go to Top of Page

stellal
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
956 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  6:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit stellal's Homepage Send stellal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like all these suggestions, plus the gifts of knitted wash cloths, and little textured bags in felt or cotton for treasures, plus backpacks and market bags and socks,
Did I say socks, i can't keep up with the sock demands from a smaller family, socks, socks, socks. . . .

Stella

I don't spend nearly enough time knitting.
I don't have nearly enough yarn stashed for the future.
My knit to frog ratio is around 2:1 and on show here
www.Knitknitfrog.blogspot.com
where I even video my knitting !
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  05:16:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I admit to not being fond of really large projects (knitted, that is -- I am also a quilter!)...but I've found a great purse pattern for my Dear Daughter, and a sock monkey might work for my son (22), as he loves all things monkey. My sis might just get a pair of fingerless gloves; she's the one person I haven't made 'em for. As for my nephew (15), he's had the gloves and a scarf...and won't wear a hat (the hair, you know -- the hair!) or geeky socks...so we'll see.

Thanks again, and happy holiday knitting,

Marg (less stumped) in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  08:53:24 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quilter? I love quilt. You can knit so many things for your daughter, lace cardi, lace bolero, tea cosy, beret, lace nightie, gadget stuffs, etc.
How about fake-a-gamo bag?
Go to Top of Page

loral56
Chatty Knitter

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  9:26:26 PM  Show Profile Send loral56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a knitted (and maybe felted) checker game for the 15 yr old to put in his room. Or you could knit a big circle with differnt colored stripes (use his school colors or fav. sports team colors)...make some felted balls, add a little of that sticky velcro and it would be like a target game that he could hang on his door in his room. He could sit on his bed and throw the little balls at the circles.

What about a lapghan for your sister...or there are some very pretty patterns for knitted jewelry or sachet pockets to place in dresser drawers. I have seen a few picture frames that have had knitted lace attached around the frame and some great pic of your and her together in the frame.

Good luck and happy knitting,

Lora
Go to Top of Page

monnibo
Chatty Knitter

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  6:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit monnibo's Homepage Send monnibo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Find out if the nephew has an iPod and knit an iPod sock. (Check on the Apple website to see the ones they have). Basically you knit a tube, and then you can embroider initials or an image on it. I'm making one for my boyfriend - he's got a nano (rectangular not the new squares) so it's this tiiiiny little tube to knit, that's why I chose to embroider.

- Monica

-----------------------------------
my blog: http://monnibo.wordpress.com
crafty creations: http://crafty.mcmiller.ca

Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  7:34:34 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ask them what they would like. That way, you don't risk wasting your time and effort on handmade gifts they may not appreciate.
Go to Top of Page

TerriP
Chatty Knitter

124 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  01:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit TerriP's Homepage Send TerriP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Book Knit-2-Together, I am knitting the Grownup Bonnet minus the ruffles, which is a combination hood and scarf. That might be something new for a gift for your family.

A few months ago, Knit Picks also had some felted coasters and place mat settings, as well as some felted oven mit sets. That might be a nice change too.

Good luck, and happy knitting!
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  06:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey

Ask them what they would like. That way, you don't risk wasting your time and effort on handmade gifts they may not appreciate.

In the end, that's what I've done. My sister wants pillows to match the quilt I made her last year, so I'm doing a pair of shams and a neck roll (small bolster). My daughter conceded that she'd like another pair of socks, so they're on the needles now, in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn, in a Wavy Lace pattern from 'Favorite Socks'. My son...I'm clueless! But I'm finishing his cardigan as we speak, and just saw the spooky hat/mask from knitty, based on one of his favourite animated characters. I think that'll suit him down to the ground! I'd make one for my nephew too, if I thought his mother would let me get away with it!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  08:43:13 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marg, is TLWKOTB = The lady who knits on the bus?
Go to Top of Page

angelarae
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  03:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit angelarae's Homepage Send angelarae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am limiting my Christmas Knitting List this year. There are a few people who appreciate knitted gifts...my Mom, my Sister, my Husband and my daughter. That's it and they are the only ones I'm knitting for. A pair of clogs, a lace scarf, a vest, and a poncho. Done. That should leave considerable time for general merry making, rather than crazy making, like usual. I am considering making EZ's Hurry Up Last Minute Sweater from Knitter's Almanac (For Me!)

Ang

Angela
Angelarae Knits
Knit Notes Newsletter
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  04:00:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Home accessories! How about felted placemats or table runners with coordinating fabric napkins? Wall hangings! Ornaments! Toys and toy pouches. Love reading all these ideas.

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://portcitypottery.com

Go to Top of Page

stevenbaer@verizon.net

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  07:40:12 AM  Show Profile Send stevenbaer@verizon.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been knitting tote bags this fall for the holidays. The younger folk love them because they're large, colorful and really useful on traveling weekends, and the older folk, who are in independent or assisted living facilities, love the purse-sized ones when they go down to the diningroom to carry their keys and cell phones (instead of their usual large leather purses). I put knit or silk flowers on them, so they can't be lost or mistaken for someone else's, and I put unique beaded or round wooden handles on them to make them easy to carry over an arm. Some have exterior pockets. Also, I'm knitting felted flower corsages -- they look great on coat or suits.
I know scarves are "in" right now, but at this point, I've already supplied the entire family with scarves and hats over the past years.
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  09:28:35 AM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have done this in the past and it was a big hit. Fill a large basket with some luxury bath items...things a woman generally doesn't get for herself. Some pretty knitted washcloths, a knitted soap cover (I think there are some free patterns online), a knitted sachet, some bath oils, salts, beads, scented soaps, scented candle, a small book (verses, poetry, etc.), perhaps a small bottle of wine and wine glass...things to help a person completely relax. There is not a whole lot of knitting involved and some of these items can be very affordable. My mother-in-law really appreciated the basket I made for her a few years ago. I knew she liked lavender so used that as the scent for most of the items. It was fun to put it all together. Good luck.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

melissajean
New Pal

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  11:47:19 AM  Show Profile Send melissajean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've knitted up flowers and leaves, felted them, sewed together and hot glued a pin back to it. Made a VERY lovely pin.

I always wanted to make knitted pillows, possibilites endless. Good Luck!

www.melissajean.net

Happy knitting
Go to Top of Page

Jolene108
Warming Up

54 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  08:37:08 AM  Show Profile Send Jolene108 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a LapTop Tote or LapTop Sleeve?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?