Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 Cascade 220
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  11:53:34 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting to read about the varying experiences. Me, I've given up felting Cascade 220, because no matter what I've done, I have not been able to get rid of the vertical lines and some stitch definition. I have no such problems with Patons Classic Merino, however - quick and complete felting. My next project (dumpling bag) is going to be done with Webs' Valley Yarns Berkshire Bulky, which feels a lot like Lamb's Pride, even though the compostion is different.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

rebeccalucile
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  3:02:18 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccalucile a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello. I have hunted online and can't find color cards for Cascade yarnd. Does anyone know where I can purchase a book of all their yarns? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  12:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone, what kind of pre-wash sts/in. are you all talking about? It seems to me the "learning experiences" show stitch def because the yarn needs bigger needles. Gauge will tell all!

I'm about to buy some 220 and try it out (it's on sale in Denver this afternoon!). I've just done three Lamb's Pride tests and while they all look fine, one of them, using 2 strands of worsted, came out esp. great. For that one, here's the hitch: I made felted clogs with this yarn on size 15s that I couldn't shrink enough and were way too big for my feet. (The teacher said to make the large size. Hmmmm, some yarn/gauge guidance would have helped). I eventually donated them to a homeless shelter. Size 17, felted just now, made all the difference. However, the >pattern< said size 13 needles! So you can't simply accept the needle size given; it all depends on how the knitter knits, too. Anyway, I will try the clogs again, medium size w/ size 17 needles.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  09:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm back one more time. Just felted 220: 2 strands together, on US size 15; gauge 11 sts/4 in. I've found in general that I have to increase one needle size to get the gauge on just about any yarn label, so I also increase a needle size for felted patterns, which seems to be working out very well.

Here is what happened:

1. It looks great, no stitch def, but took over an hour of wash time. Exhausting!

2. Let me tweak stitch def: Stockinette stitch melted away, but garter stitch looks a little like corduroy! An interesting effect, although I wonder why that happened. I've never gotten that with other, single-stranded felt knitting.

3. My project was the Somersaulting Trifold Moebius Bowl in Cat B's "2nd Treasury". She stated the same gauge for this and another yarn (>9< sts/4 in.!), and I was going to have to move to size 17 to get that, if I could! However, other projects in the same book state >12< sts/4 in., and some of those are 1 or 2 strands!!! I therefore decided to shoot from the hip and do what I did above.

4. About size 17: Modular circs tend to come apart in Moebius knitting, due to all the twisting (I've made 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 half twists in rims). I would have to cast on to a Denise and then K the first round onto the appropriate length of circ to feel really safe.

5. It's a nice, thick fabric, but the bowl lost some sturdiness when fully dry. For comparison, I'm currently backing down to size 13 needles and 1 strand of 220, making the same bowl to see what happens. I've been making a lot of felted samples just to see what happens to the same yarn knitted with different size needles. It's a journey I'd rather not take(!), but very instructive.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  1:25:44 PM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been knitting up samples with cascade 220 also. I noticed the cordory effect also with the garter stitch. In my case that wasn't a problem 'cause it created a neat effect where I used it. My next try will include a section of 'heel' stitch, to see if that firms it up a little.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?