Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Cable Needle Freedom
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

seal
Chatty Knitter

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  05:00:36 AM  Show Profile Send seal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering if anyone has looked at this book- I think this is what it's called.
I've read of several ways to do cables without an additional needle, but most seemed awkward and chancy. I always do a left travelling K-P twist without a cable needle, and can also do a 1 over 2 left twistisng cable without an additional needle, (this was necessitated when I changed my pattern after having embarked on a long car trip with only 2 needles!) but that's about it. Is this book truly worth the money?
Seal in Plattsburgh

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  11:42:32 AM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, although I've never seen the book, I can't imagine a one-note trick like cabling without a needle would be worth the price of a whole book.

The easy way to cable without a needle in any direction is to pinch the work with your right hand below where the cable will be, then rearrange the stitches onto the left needle, then knit as usual. boom.
Done.

Are the patterns worth it? While doable, cabling patterns require one heck of a lot of swatching and figuring, so even I generally follow someone else's patterns since I'm too lazy to figure out pattern gauge over 5 or 6 different cables. If the patterns are nicely complex, the book might be worth it after all.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  5:56:59 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't, but I agree that I doubt it's worth the money. There is a good online tutorial, I think it's either Eunny Jang or Grumperina. Try googling Cable without a cable needle. It's also described in Knitting For Anarchists, which is a fun book anyway.

It's a pretty easy technique once you get the hang of it.
Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://knittingandamovie.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  11:34:28 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I learned with the on line tutorials and just needed a bit of practice. I would spend my money on a different book or yarn.

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  12:48:25 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took the Cable Needle Freedom class from the author when she was teaching at Stitches a few years ago. They provided the book in that class. The concept of cabling without a cable needle is fairly simple once you get the hang of it. I agree, there are resources online to teach yourself this method. As for the book, it explains it as well, but in addition, there are four patterns (two of which are sweaters). As for "worth the money", I would recommend looking at the patterns and decide for yourself whether or not the cost covers the technique and four patterns.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  2:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it IS another excuse to buy a book...<g>

PAM

WIP = Branches and Bobbles Afghan, Raglan Sweater

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby), Knitted Charity Squares, Top-Down Sweater, Project Linus Baby Blanket (2), Summer Top, Scrap Sweater, Socks (2 pair), 63 Cable Squares Afghan, Winter Hat, Vertical Rib Sweater (crocheted)

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  2:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Llinn, Maybe so, but some folks need more than a one liner to catch onto this.

For myself, I am doing a little poncho for DD and it has a 4st cable. When I come to the cable, I knit the stitch 2 in, then the next one. Then I go and knit the 1st two like normal and slip the lot off. Just a little something that I figured out for myself.

Voila cable!

But for crossing the other direction, I think you would need to go into the stitch from the back in something like a Norwegian purl and then knit it.

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  11:24:55 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a nice little booklet with good instructions on reading cable charts also.

I like Grumperina's technique for cabling without a cn. It's a little different from others I've seen and once you get it down it is so easy. I've tried it several different way and like hers the best. What she does is after you slip the first stitches you actually work the next stitches before doing the placement change. That gives me added security that if I lose my grip on the stitches while they are free they probably won't go far before I catch them since they can drop a whole row and I'll just be where I started. Does that make sense? Probably not. Anyway, try it.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  4:07:22 PM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, have been using Grumperina's technique for cabling without a needle, and it's easy-peasy!! I love it! In fact, the sweater I'm working on may never have come to fruition without her tutorial.

Melissa
My blog:Tia Knits
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4157 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  4:12:37 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to check out Grumperina's, because honestly, most other methods are harder for me than actually using the cable needle.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Petra
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  4:41:55 PM  Show Profile Send Petra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I avoided cables because of the needle-too awkward for me. Anyway, I learned online and made 3 Irish hiking scarves last winter. They turned out beautifully-I couldn't belive I made them! I reccomend the tutorial.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  04:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also use Grumperina's and I find it easy.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  07:57:37 AM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The trick that Elsabeth Lavold taught me is to pinch the BASE of the "non-needled" stitches against the side of the right needle as you slide the stitches off. This serves two purposes: 1)obviously it keeps the stitches from dropping, but it also tends to 2) keep the loops standing up and open so it's easy to quickly poke the left needle back through them. This means that the stitches are only off the needle for a nano-second. Then you transfer the twisted stitches you initially grabbed from the front or back (depending if it is a right or left twist) from the right needle to the left and then just knit across.
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  07:59:34 AM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The trick that Elsabeth Lavold taught me is to pinch the BASE of the "non-needled" stitches against the side of the right needle as you slide the stitches off. This serves two purposes: 1)obviously it keeps the stitches from dropping, but it also tends to 2) keep the loops standing up and open so it's easy to quickly poke the left needle back through them. This means that the stitches are only off the needle for a nano-second. Then you transfer the twisted stitches you initially grabbed from the front or back (depending if it is a right or left twist) from the right needle to the left and then just knit across.
Go to Top of Page

seal
Chatty Knitter

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  11:30:43 AM  Show Profile Send seal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To do a left K-P twist, I slip the first (Knit) stitch, purl the second, then put the LH needle back through the slipped K stitch from left to right, and drop the purl stitch. To my great surprise, the first time I did this, the P stitch literally jumped from behind onto my right hand needle. Not always that lucky, but the st is pretty easy to find. All that remains then is knitting the crossed slipped stitch.
Seal in Plattsburgh
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?