Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 KnitPicks Harmony Wood Needles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

pandorasslave
Chatty Knitter

102 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  09:06:45 AM  Show Profile Send pandorasslave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fleegle

One of my size 0 needles snapped clean off at the collar while I was swatching some gossamer-weight yarn. And I am a loose knitter, too. I am not even bothering to return it. I took all of my Harmonies to the gunsmith and had him transplant my ebony dpns, which I never use, into the connectors. I have a lovely set of interchangable ebonies now.

What a WONDERFUL idea. I like that much better. So until OPtions gets a set of plain bamboo or *not plastic* wood needles for their set, I think this is a good option.

BTW which ebonies were you using?

"Right, we'll call it a draw..."
Go to Top of Page

douknit2
Chatty Knitter

148 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  10:07:57 AM  Show Profile Send douknit2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My husband ordered the set for me for my birthday. They are supposed to arrive on Wednesday and I can't wait to give them a go. I need to finish the shawl I am on by then so I can start another new project. Isn't holiday knitting the best!

Just keep knitting, just keep knitting...
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  01:25:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had old sets of Holz and Stein ebony dpns in both 4" and 7". They were so beautiful, but they sat in the drawer for years, because I only use circulars now. You can do the same thing with bamboo dpns too. The Options glue isn't very good, so it's easy enough to take a rubber jar opener, twist the Options, and pull out the old needle. Then just glue bamboo dpns in place. In one case, he had to drill out the Options--the one that broke off at the collar.

Then he machines the join so it's perfect. You can do this at home, if you have some sandpaper, glue, and patience.

Come visit my blog...
http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SandraPurl
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  9:06:55 PM  Show Profile Send SandraPurl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been using the KnitPicks Harmony needles for about three weeks now and love them, even more than my Options. I have both sets now and really enjoy using the KnitPicks needles. There were some problems initially when I first purchased the Options over a year ago, but I haven't had any issues with them since and none with the Harmony set. The only real problem is having so many projects going at once because of all the needles I now, but is that really a problem? If you were thinking of getting the new wooden needles, go for it.

SandraPurl
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  11:28:49 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had my Harmony set for about 6 weeks and like them very much. I just discovered that the needles I thought were a size 4 are in fact one size 4 and one size 6. That's right, there were three size 6 needles and one size 4 in my set.

Of course I called Knitpicks immediately and they will replace the #4's, and I don't have to return anything. But the lesson is to check run all your needles through a sizer when you get them, and while you're at it, check the threads, inspect for scratches and slivers.
Go to Top of Page

lgrande
Chatty Knitter

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  07:30:12 AM  Show Profile Send lgrande a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have several of the Harmony tips now as well as the a couple of the Harmony fixed circs. The only problem I've had so far is one of the #8 tips is mounted in it's base crooked...if that mkes sense. I sent an email to Knitpicks and they replaced the pair for me.
I just love my Harmony needles, I seem to need to have all my wps on them so I just keep ordering more.

lindag
Go to Top of Page

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  08:21:12 AM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the reviews here are so good, I think I'll get some of these. I need to replace the Grafton dpns that I bought a month or so back -- they look much like the Options (with the colored laminated wood) but both sets (0 and 1) have snags/splinters on more than one needle. Sanding helps temporarily but a few hours later they snag again. For $35/set, not a good investment. I'll try the Options!

-Elizabeth in Alabama
Go to Top of Page

jenlyon60
Chatty Knitter

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  07:23:05 AM  Show Profile Send jenlyon60 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I broke one of my Harmony circulars (size 0/2mm). Not while knitting, though. I had my knitting laying on an ottoman and when I went to stand up from sitting on the floor, I accidentally leaned on the needle. That particular tip also had developed a small split in the tip, so in the long run, while I'm minus a needle, at least the one that I broke was the one with issues.

Some of my Knitting
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9210915@N05/?saved=1
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  06:37:48 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by YarnAndCoffee

Since the reviews here are so good, I think I'll get some of these. I need to replace the Grafton dpns that I bought a month or so back -- they look much like the Options (with the colored laminated wood) but both sets (0 and 1) have snags/splinters on more than one needle. Sanding helps temporarily but a few hours later they snag again. For $35/set, not a good investment. I'll try the Options!

-Elizabeth in Alabama

I was wondering about these since they looked so much like the Harmony. There have been a few comments about how the Harmony appear and feel too lacquered and not "organic" enough. These may be an alternative but it seems that the heavy resin or lacquer coating is functional. I'm using the Harmony with alpaca silk laceweight and they are perfect tools for the yarn, which is slippery and splitty.
Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  1:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like these harmony circular needles!! Wow!! Is all I can say!!
Go to Top of Page

KnittingCommuter
Chatty Knitter

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  6:55:28 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingCommuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too love the Harmony Needles, but had my first problem with them tonight. I am making a hat for my grandson on their 16" Circs-not the interchangeable ones--when I noticed the yarn not moving smoothly after knitting several stitches on to the right needle. After having to forceably force the yarn to move along on the right needle, I discovered that it was coming apart, and the yarn was stuck in the join. I pushed it back in, and it seems fine for now, but I don't know how long it will hold. I really like these needles too. Even switched lace shawl I am working on from my Inox Greys to the Harmonies.

Ducky's Mom
Go to Top of Page

aztoni
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  06:13:35 AM  Show Profile Send aztoni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tip on one of my harmony sock needles (2.0 mm) seemed to spontaneously snap off. (I don't think I applied any unusual pressure.) I was devastated since I'm really liking these needles. Anyway, I called KnitPicks to inquire about a replacement needle. Four days later a brand new set of the needles arrived at my door--at no charge! I thought I should share this very positive customer support experience with you all.
Go to Top of Page

WIPQueen
Warming Up

91 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  1:33:28 PM  Show Profile Send WIPQueen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ducky's Mom,

I had the same thing happen to me with one of the Harmony fixed circs (sorry, don't remember which size right now). Contact then I'm sure they'll replace th defective one. I had my replacement within a few days. No problem with the new one.

Valerie
Go to Top of Page

8kids4me
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  3:00:53 PM  Show Profile Send 8kids4me a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do the Harmony needles feel more like wood or plastic? And are they slick feeling or do they "grab" the yarn? I am a big fan of bamboo, and ordered a pair of Options which came yesterday. I like them, but realized I really prefer a needle with some grab to it. I need to order some more tonight, and might go with the Harmony.

Cindy B
Go to Top of Page

ClimberKnits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  3:54:41 PM  Show Profile Send ClimberKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Harmony needles feel more like wood. They do have a bit of grab. I'm finishing (soon, I hope) the intarsia wrap. I needed to space out my stitches a bit to get gauge, because I tend to knit tightly. I usually love my Options metal tips because they are so slick, but the Harmony tips worked wonders in preventing that bunched up look from carrying the non-working yarn too tightly across the wrong side. I'm sold!
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  4:48:41 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say the "grabbiness" is in between metal and bamboo or wood. To me, it's just right.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  02:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just ordered mine!! Hurry up Knitpicks and deliver them to the shops in Australia. I wish I could order from Knitpicks directly.

Wen

2007 stats: 5 FO, too many WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/
Go to Top of Page

KnittingCommuter
Chatty Knitter

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  11:06:59 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingCommuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did contact KnitPicks about the malfuntioning Harmony circ mentioned earlier. The CS rep was most gracious and another will be shipped to me. Another reason to adore these needles--the customer service is great!

Ducky's Mom
Go to Top of Page

LI Craftgal
Gabber Extraordinaire

382 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  4:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit LI Craftgal's Homepage Send LI Craftgal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just ordered mine too!! Its going to be a Christmas gift from hubby. I cant wait to use these!!

Kelly

http://licraftgals-spot.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  5:47:57 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone else having problems with the cables coming out of their metal holder? I originally ordered 3 sets of the 32" cable. Last week, 2 of the cables became separated from the metal holder (first project, #7s with fingering weight yarn). Yes, you can push them back in, but they just come back out again. When you are knitting a lace shawl, and all those stitches drop and start to come undone -- well let's just say that what i uttered can't be printed here. It took hours to get the stitches back on the needles properly. I called KP , and yes they are sending replacements (as a reputable company should do when they sell a defective product). Since then, 2 more cables have come apart from the metal holder. One of them was already half off when i opened the package. I'm trying to figure out if this is a fairly routine problem, or if i just happened to get several bad cables. Four cables failing out of 6 doesn't seem like good odds. I like the points, can stand the finish and the cable color. But if this continues, i'm going to return all of them.

Happy Knitting,
claire
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by