Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 raw fleece sources. (to buy).
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

angel597
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  6:44:11 PM  Show Profile Send angel597 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, my name is Laurie, and I'm starting to learn how to spin. I've already finished the llama roving I bought at our local county fair, so I need to buy more (preferably llama) fleece. I found a website called www.alpacanation.com, but I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations first. Thanx.

noramcd
Chatty Knitter

105 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  06:04:33 AM  Show Profile Send noramcd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of alpaca fleece makes it onto the "fleece for sale" Yahoo list. I don't see that much llama, but everything turns up on the list sooner or later... You could also try the fiber page at the spinner's and weaver's housekeeping pages, kbbspin.org . I don't know what's there right now, but it's worth a look. The Yahoo list will be strictly unprocessed fleece, whereas the housekeeping pages tends to be roving.

HTH,
Nora
Go to Top of Page

KromGal
Gabber Extraordinaire

594 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  07:32:48 AM  Show Profile Send KromGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get your hands on a copy of SpinOff magazine (new issue should be out soon...and if you spin, you should get a subscription, anyway) and check the ads in the back. Same thing for Wild Fibers magazine...invaluable source of raw material for spinning! You could also google your state breeder's association for names of more local people. Do you have a state fair? There are usually animal breeders in attendance there. Check for the list of events here on KR....the Sheep and Wool Festival Season is upon us and there are many across the country, possibly one near you.
Go to Top of Page

angel597
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  8:10:18 PM  Show Profile Send angel597 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, both suggestions were really helpful.
Peace
Go to Top of Page

eepster
Seriously Hooked

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  12:11:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit eepster's Homepage Send eepster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's still fiber festival season. Depending on where you live you could go to one. You can usually buy direct from the farmers at them. In my area I've got the Garden State Sheep Breeders Assosiation's show next weekend and Rhinebeck in october coming up. At MDSW I got lots of raw fleece straight from the farmers including llama. I even got to meet the llamas (my toddler loved that aspect.)

{o,o}
./)_)
.." "
Jen
http://www.buddhabellyart.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/buddhabellyart
Go to Top of Page

noramcd
Chatty Knitter

105 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  08:24:13 AM  Show Profile Send noramcd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eepster, what day are you going to the GSSB show? I'll be on the gate Saturday from 10:00-noon, and at the wool sale from 2:00-4:00, so any forum members attending, stop by to say "hey".

Nora
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  1:31:56 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mentioned it before. I'll be the fat woman walking around with a little blue shopping cart to lean on. We call it my white trash walker.

Seriously, I use it instead of a walker to support my back, but it works pretty good for stashing large, fleecy purchases too.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

noramcd
Chatty Knitter

105 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  05:42:11 AM  Show Profile Send noramcd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must have missed that post. I can relate to the need for back support, having had a ruptured disk about 15 years ago. I'm OK now for the most part, but I still remember those days... Anyhoo, if you're there on Saturday, stop by and say hi.
Go to Top of Page

eepster
Seriously Hooked

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  11:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit eepster's Homepage Send eepster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there Saturday. I'll be bringing my mom and my toddler son.

{o,o}
./)_)
.." "
Jen
http://www.buddhabellyart.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/buddhabellyart
Go to Top of Page

scrumpy
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  5:08:58 PM  Show Profile Send scrumpy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having just read another reference in Spin-Off to not washing llama fleeces, I feel the need to speak up and say that if you get some raw fleece, please wash it! Even though llamas have no grease, they love to roll in the dirt, and thier fleeces, no matter how well prepared by the handlers and shearers will always have dust and dirt on them. I worked at a large llama barn for two years and it is like a physical pain when I read that not haveing to wash llama fleece saves time.

And, Hello! This is my first post. I have been lurking about a bit, and just love this forum.
Go to Top of Page

diane leirer
Chatty Knitter

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  5:30:52 PM  Show Profile Send diane leirer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Laurie, there's Ebay to explore. Also, if you plug the words "llama fleece for sale" into a search engine, quite a few results come up. And one more idea: there are llama farmer/shepherd type registries which would list llama farms state by state.
Go to Top of Page

hopetoknit
Warming Up

58 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  07:06:12 AM  Show Profile Send hopetoknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could also try looking for a Web site for a llama breeders association. This is how I found breeders/fiber sources in my state for sheep.
Go to Top of Page

hopetoknit
Warming Up

58 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  07:07:29 AM  Show Profile Send hopetoknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woops, guess I just reiterated what the previous posting just said.
Go to Top of Page

Luba
New Pal

Australia
34 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  01:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luba's Homepage Send Luba a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use ebay to buy all my fleeces. I find if you're patient you get great bargains!!!
Go to Top of Page

Tigerflower
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  3:54:06 PM  Show Profile Send Tigerflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though this is an old thread folks like me are still finding it so I wanted to make a correction. Yahoo Fleece For Sale is suggested as a resource for locating raw fleeces at reasonable prices. It should be mentioned that you can't view listings at Yahoo Fleece For Sale unless you're ACCEPTED as a member. I wasted a half hour filling out an application for a Yahoo account & email I don't want and the application for the group only to receive a reply over the weekend flatly turning me down for membership no reason given. I don't know who you have to know to join this little club but apparently I wasn't on the welcome wagon list. If the resource is only available to a select or closed group it would be nice to let others know before they waste precious time only to get slapped in the face the way I did.
Go to Top of Page

noramcd
Chatty Knitter

105 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  05:16:01 AM  Show Profile Send noramcd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm the one who mentioned the "Fleece for Sale" list, and I'm not affiliated with Yahoo groups or the "Fleece for Sale" list/moderators in any way, nor do I have any idea what the problem was with your submission/rejection. I think all the Yahoo groups have moderators, just to keep spammers out. You might want to try again, since you have the Yahoo account anyway. It's been my experience that a short letter saying where you heard about the group and why you want to join suffices (I belong to several Yahoo groups). If that's what you sent, and you were still rejected, I'm sorry it was a waste of time.
Go to Top of Page

stseraphina
Chatty Knitter

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  06:12:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit stseraphina's Homepage Send stseraphina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
washing llama and alpaca - OH MY GOSH IT IS SO FILTHY, you would not want to spin it w/o washing first. I am working on my first raw alpaca fleece. It's true, no gresae, but those critters love the dirt. Of all the wool I've worked with this definitely wins the prize for SAND and DIRT and teeny tiny bits of everything, with a few dead ticks thrown in. AND THAT'S AFTER I WASHED IT TWICE. Whew. It's worth it, though. I got the fleece for FREEEEEEE!
Kris

What came out of my dyepot this week? Sock yarn? Laceweight? Silk? Come and see my yarn! http://www.flickr.com/photos/28988137@N04/
Go to Top of Page

Tigerflower
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  10:03:30 AM  Show Profile Send Tigerflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only info other than name etc I was allowed to submit was my reason for wishing to join and I said something about wishing to view the fleece classifieds. The reply I received said I was denied and all denials are final so not to reply. It was awful.

Thank heavens for EBay & Craiglist. I found a local shepherd selling lovely (but dirty) Romney, Lincoln and Shetland for $1 a lb and scored 60 lbs so feeling much better. My bathtub runneth over. They had a whole loft full of fleeces & don't know what to do with them.
Go to Top of Page

noramcd
Chatty Knitter

105 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  7:40:50 PM  Show Profile Send noramcd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's weird. I don't remember now what I put in my application form, but it was something of that ilk...

But hey, it sounds like you're set for a while:-) Happy spinning!
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  7:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit knottyknitter's Homepage Send knottyknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tigerflower - I just signed up for thsi group today as well. It took an hour from the time I applied (this morning) until I was approved. What sort of e-mail address do you use? I recall a while back that there is one type of e-mail address that a lot of Yahoo groups don't like. I don't recall any of the details though, but I know it was a problem for some members of the "Fiberfling" group.

Please support my walk for Breast Cancer - Seattle 3-Day Walk September 12-14
http://www.the3day.org/goto/knottyknitter

http://www.virtualknitter.com
My NEW blog
Go to Top of Page

Tigerflower
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  08:46:42 AM  Show Profile Send Tigerflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a plain old vanilla Google gmail address. That's what was so awful about it. There was no explanation given or reason. It felt like being cut during sorority rush a zillion years ago. Just we don't want you. Bye have a nice life. That kind of thing. And me thinking, what, I'm not good enough to look at WOOL ads?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?