Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 the thing i hate the most
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mommy2monsters
Warming Up

96 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  11:02:07 AM  Show Profile  Send mommy2monsters a Yahoo! Message Send mommy2monsters a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is sewing in the ends of the yarn.
i cant stand it!
is that so bad?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
...You knit me together in my mothers womb. Psalm 139:13

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  12:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For menial chores like this I do one of two things:

1. Save for when I'm in a group setting, like when I take my kids to the park. I'm chatting w/my friends, so weaving in ends isn't all that bad.

2. Weave in as I go. I prefer this method over the other as it gets them out of the way immediately. I started doing this with my socks and it's so much nicer. I finish a pair of socks w/only 2 measly ends to weave in...I also leave a bit of yarn sticking out, and don't weave it all the way... :)

Hugs,
tammy

Tammy my Blog http://cozystitches.wordpress.com/
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

stellal
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
956 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  12:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit stellal's Homepage Send stellal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
me to, but then i love it when it is finished - but mostly thats why I weave as i go, often in as i knit the next section of yarn, but also why i shifted to knitting in the round - where there are no seams, and you can finish with just the last cast off tail to weave in with a needle.

truly - weave as you knit - it the only way to go,

Stella
I don't spend nearly enough time knitting. I don't have nearly enough yarn stashed for the future. My knit to frog ratio is around 2:1 and on show here www.Knitknitfrog.blogspot.com
where I even video my knitting!
Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  2:30:10 PM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I HATE weaving in too. I never feel confident that I'm doing it really well so that it won't show and will stay in tight.

Check out my project pics

Join the Yarn Diet-A-Long

Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  5:28:03 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually love weaving in the ends. I mean I don't like doing it, because it's tedious, but I love doing it because it looks so perfect when it's done and I'm OCD enough to get off on doing something fiddly well.

An easy trick to remember is to leave really long ends-8 or 10 inches when you switch. Then use a yarn needle or crewel needle to weave the ends in, doubling back once or twice so that the stretching won't pop the end loose. Then after you have woven in about half, clip the excess very close to the fabric. It makes life much simpler than trying to hide little fiddly bits.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

alliwenk
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  6:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit alliwenk's Homepage Send alliwenk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am one of those weirdos that loves darning in the ends. I actually save it all up for when I'm in the mood, put a movie on and go to town. I like to count all of the ends up when I'm done too. I finished a sweater in June that had 286 ends!

Yes, I am a dork.

I dislike weaving in as I go because I can see the old color pop through (in colorwork) and it adds a bit of strange bulk and affects the drape in single color knitting. I either splice, Russian join, or darn them in in duplicate stitch.

Allison
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  8:57:59 PM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Allison & Llinn, if you have secret tricks & techniques, do share with us. I hate it totally and I'd normally anyhow do it.
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  06:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate it, too. That's probably why I have a stack of projects I've finished knitting but have no motivation to finish once and for all!

http://diaryofaneccentric.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

swspinny
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  07:15:04 AM  Show Profile Send swspinny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second that, Mocha! Tips, techniques, secrets to neatly weaving in ends so they don't show...
Go to Top of Page

fiberlicious
Permanent Resident

1637 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  07:42:40 AM  Show Profile Send fiberlicious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate weaving in ends, too, so I weave them as I knit, Fair Isle style. Greatest invention since sliced bread!
Go to Top of Page

daizie_ray
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  07:53:05 AM  Show Profile Send daizie_ray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ends are the worst for me. I always try to weave as I go that way I don't have all the little ends floating around laughing at me when I get to the end of the project. Also I have had people ask me what was "wrong" with a project because they saw ends hanging. That bugs me. What tips and techniques are there??
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen-NYC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  11:15:39 AM  Show Profile Send Kathleen-NYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mother is that way. Hates all the finishing.

I really don't mind it at all. I leave long ends as I'm working and periodically when I want to rest my hands from knitting, I'll thread a yarn needle and weave them in.

I do mostly modular knitting and there are lots and lots of ends. I generally do it as I'm going along.

I'm sitting here trying to think if there is anything about knitting that I "hate." I really can't think of anything. I really do enjoy the entire process.

Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  3:31:42 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a necessary evil for me. I save it for the very end because I leave long ends to use in seaming, although recently I've started spit splicing instead. One or two ends don't bother me, but when there are lots of them---groan...

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  04:58:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weaving in ends...boo...

I tend to do it as I go along, so that I'm not faced with doing the entire thing at the end (when I'd rather be knitting something else).

PAM

WIP = Branches and Bobbles Afghan, Raglan Sweater, Knit Your Bit for Vets Scarf

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby), Knitted Charity Squares, Top-Down Sweater, Project Linus Baby Blanket (2), Summer Top, Scrap Sweater, Socks (2 pair), 63 Cable Squares Afghan, Winter Hat, Vertical Rib Sweater (crocheted)

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  05:07:16 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit, I'm sort of weird, too. I enjoy the weaving in, both the process, which is relaxing, and the fact that when I've done it, I'm done.

Spontaneity isn't random -- Malcolm Gladwell
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?