Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Are you ever disappointed?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am often shocked and horrified that I don't look as slim as the pattern model when I try my new garment on!

http://janesprobablyknitting.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windyridge
Chatty Knitter

117 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  2:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit windyridge's Homepage Send windyridge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frequently I am disappointed because it doesn't fit right. The problem with homespun. But I will persevere!

blog: http://onaridge.blogspot.com
web: wwww.windyridgfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

candym
Chatty Knitter

343 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  1:36:45 PM  Show Profile Send candym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't remember knitting anything that I haven't frogged before I get too far. Usually it's more than one time per item. Embellishing becomes very important to me ...

candace
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  5:01:33 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
windy, if I'm reading your post correctly, you're blaming a lack of fit on homespun yarn. Even if the yarn is wildly inconsistant, you can mumble your way to a nicely fitted garment. Couple of years ago I taught my best friend Anne to spin on a Babe, then she bought an Ashford and finally a hitchhiker. 3 different wheels, enormously varying yarn results but all from pretty much the same fiber blend. Some places we knit tight on smaller needles and some looser on bigger. It turned out wonderful, even with areas that weren't an exact color match (same blend but not always the same proportions).

The trick is to understand that you want the pieces to be a specific size and only knit them that big. This may mean you have to draw schematic diagrams and measure and take things off the needles and remeasure, but that's how stuff goes. Reality sucks sometimes but if you want a finished size of 36 inches, you'd better have pieces that add up to 36 inches--not 44 or 22. You can do all kinds of funky fixes that don't look like fixes.

My mom had a blond moment and cast on about 8 inches less than she needed for a cardigan in a stripe/fair isle pattern. She had apparently pushed the wrong buttons on the calculator when she cast on and hadn't really paid attention until she was 8 inches up. I had her cast on enough stitches plus 2 for the missing inches, had her work it in the stripe pattern but leave off the fair isle. When they matched for length she continued on. When it was done, I mattress stitched the pieces together and then duplicate stitched the little bit of fair isle on to match. It looked perfect and fit perfect.

Course then I posted on the events board and told everybody at Stitches East to accost her, describing her and the sweater in detail so perfect strangers could walk up and ask to see how her brilliant daughter fixed her dumb mistake. >snort< sometimes I'm not very well behaved.

But homespun can be managed to produce perfect fitting sweaters too windy. It's not that hard.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

sgoldfried
Seriously Hooked

Canada
769 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  05:28:19 AM  Show Profile Send sgoldfried a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i found a way to avoid disappointments
i knit the article in cheaper yarn sort of
a trial and error method
this way if it looks bad on me i can donate it
i know that this takes a lot of time
but i am retired
and i do a lot of charity work
so knitting something for me in better yarn it is worth it
most charity prefer acrylic so that it can be washed
i heard of shelter for women that needs things for the women to wear
while trying to get jobs
so that is where i send it
sylvia
Go to Top of Page

Pampered Punkin
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  9:45:37 PM  Show Profile Send Pampered Punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could try not finishing things. It would be difficult to be disappointed with the finished product if nothing ever got finished.

I like finishing things, but I have a friend who subscribes to the never finish a project philosophy. She has never complained about not liking something she's finished. But, she's only finished one project in the last three years.

**Trisha**

I will walk by faith, even when I cannot see.

http://knitsterchick.blogspot.com/
http://www.myspace.com/knitsterchick
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  11:05:43 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know exactly what you're saying! I think... I knit a lot but I'm still slow so it takes me a bit to finish things. By the time I finish it's more relief than anything and I can't wait to get things out of my sight since I'm usually sick of it, and usually didn't turn out quite like I'd hoped. I make mistakes, most of which I can either fix, or forget if it's something little like an extra stitch, I'll just knit it out next row and call it a day since I never usually find where the heck it came from. I do make up some of my own patterns for small things, like baby sweaters, or hats, I just start knitting and end up changing things along the way because I picture it in my head looking a certain way when it's finished. Usually never ends the way I pictured it. I find the worst items are the most anticipated finishes. My one sock for instance. Bind off on the cuff was a little tight even though I took steps to loosen it as much as I could, never finished sock 2, but I was so excited to knit a sock! I rarely keep my own things, for one people ask me to make things for them and that takes time away from personal knitting, and 2 the things I do make I don't like and end up giving them away because they weren't what I hoped they would be, but other people love them. So yeah high hopes +inexperience= disappointment. I hope in 10 years I can be as confident and good as everyone else here seems to be.

Just because I knit, doesn't mean I'm not dangerous!
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  04:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I was a better project knitter way back when I was in college (I won't tell you how long ago that was!). I made a ton of lovely mohair sweaters that I actually wore (and unfortunately gave away at some point.) Then when I got married, I attempted an alpaca sweater for my husband that came out entirely distorted - never finished it and gave away what was probably the most expensive yarn I had ever bought at the time.

Now I only knit accessories, usually not using a pattern, and that feels so much better to me. I often create as I go BUT I can so easily relate to the dissatisfaction with a project at the START and often have many starts and stops with yarn changes, needle size, etc. But I love it nonetheless!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://portcitypottery.com

Go to Top of Page

shar1ford
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  05:18:07 AM  Show Profile Send shar1ford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should feel really happy to have made a dent in your stash!! I feel really proud whenever I finally finish a project, and if it fits, I am super happy!! I have a real problem with gauges! No matter what needle I knit with I get 4.5 stitches. [crazy] hahaha My stash is so big (every week-end I add to it), that when I finally make a spot to fit something else into, I am a happy camper!! Try not to be such a perfectionist. It's a handmade item, unique in its own right. Be proud of yourself!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  05:34:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I generally like what I knit, even after finishing it. But when I'm doing the last few rows of a larger project I usually feel slightly sad that it'll be over soon. Even if it's a lace shawl with 300 repeats of the same stupid 10-stitch edging pattern that I've long since gotten really sick and tired of - when there's only 5 rows left to knit, I'm unhappy!

Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

sandrasingh
Seriously Hooked

USA
740 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  05:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandrasingh's Homepage Send sandrasingh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If what I finish has a flaw that cannot be fixed, I discovered it too late etc, than I may be disappointed. But I do need clothes to walk the dog in so it doesn't last for long!

Sandra Singh
www.sandrasingh.com
sandrasingh@sandrasingh.com
My Blog:http://knittingwithsandrasingh.sandrasingh.com/
Go to Top of Page

JannyW
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  07:08:21 AM  Show Profile Send JannyW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often feel that end-of-project letdown, even with something as quick & simple as a dishcloth! Knitting is part of my meditation routine, so does that make me a "process knitter"? A little knitting each day keeps the blues away!

~~Jan~~

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-- John Lennon
Go to Top of Page

Knotingale
New Pal

30 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  08:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knotingale's Homepage Send Knotingale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's two different issues here. I'm not sure which one the original question addressed. First, just being disappointed or sad that a project has ended. Second, being disatisfied with the end result. The first one, I never experience. I have a blog, and anything I knit is potential blog fodder. I'm always excited to finish something because I look forward to the process of taking pictures, posting them, writing about it, and responding to comments on it. Blogging motivates me to finish things, helps me analyze what I do and don't like about the project, yarn, pattern, etc., and rewards me for my knitting. I will admit I am a computer literate person, having spent years in that field, but I just can't say enough good things about the impact blogging has had on my knitting.
On the second thing, being disatisfied with a project, I admit it is tough. I try to chalk it up to a learning experience. It may not be wearable, but making it and learning what I did wrong makes me a better knitter.

Knotingale
http://3sleeves.blogspot.com
'Knitting my way through...'
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  09:27:39 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm was so sad when I finished the Cider House Rules Pullover (Interweave Knits, Fall 2000) that I knit it again and again. Yes I knit the same sweater three times. I gave one to my sister and thought I would give away the third one,but I couldn't bear to part with it.
(Unfortunately, Interweave took down the picture and pattern. Charlize Theron wears it in the movie)
I started by knitting a sleeve as my gauge swatch and it was perfect in Cascade 220.
By the way, knitting the sleeve as swatch is the best tip I 've learned from a blog. I knit most of my sweaters sleeves first.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  09:31:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too knit sleeves first now.....especially if I am knitting for the little ones, as I do the bottom up seamless sweaters for them.

I just finished my Leaf Lace shawl, and it took a week before I could force myself to start the next thing...and I am jumping queue as well....but hey the sleeves for DD's sweater are done, and I cast the body on last night....Hopefully it will go quickly and I have enough yarn.

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Birdie Mom
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  10:55:39 AM  Show Profile Send Birdie Mom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it takes me a while to realize why I feel down when a project is finished, and then I recognize PPD - post project depression. When I tackled all my UFOs and completed them, I expected to feel great, and instead I felt almost, sniff, bereft. Something had gone out of my life.

Birdie Mom
Go to Top of Page

moongoddess
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  2:03:07 PM  Show Profile Send moongoddess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been knitting off and on for a long time and when I stick to a small project or a scarf I feel OK about the end product and if I don't I've taken projects apart and re-knit the yarn. Bigger projects, like sweaters are something else. This past year, I did take apart a sweater and re-knitted the yarn into a small lap blanket 'cuz I couldn't think of what else to do with the yarn. I have been disappointed with some of the sweaters I've tried. I think it has more to do with mastering my likes and dislikes and not relying so much on how the sweater looks on the model in the picture. I made a caplet from a L. Harding pattern that looks great on the book model but she's stick thin and on the model it's OK for the caplet to not close in the front but on a normal sized person or bigger person the front opening wide looks ridiculous - looks like super-woman stuff and a flying cape!!!!
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  4:34:33 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Recently I finished a vest.
The front looked good.
The fit on the shoulders was good.
The back buckled.
I showed the vest to my friend who co-owns the LYS, she said that the knitting was even. The problem was not the knitting or the pattern.
She asked me if I steamed the back.
No.
She said to steam the back to take te buckle out and it will be fine.
I will be steaming the back this weekend.
As for how do I feel about a finished project depending on what is...depends on what I feel when I finish a project. Sometimes I feel relief especially if the project had a lot of problems. Sometimes I am sad to see the project come to an end especially if it is one I enjoyed working on. After all the end means no more working on it..
Other times I feel like I was able to contribute to society. Yes another person will have a hat in the winter, etc.
Sometimes I a in awe...will you look at what I made? The cables are even and the clutch looks presentable..So it depends.
Karen
Karen
Go to Top of Page

Larjmarj
Chatty Knitter

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  1:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Larjmarj's Homepage Send Larjmarj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was always my fear of making garments. I made my first top this year and the result? meh.....It was OK, not great. My husband assured me that it looks beautiful but I still have my doubts. Live and learn I say. I am going to attempt another garment. I sweater this time. Well see............[**]

So, yes, sometimes projects can be a let down. When that happens I try to find an instant gratification project that I know I can make beautifully to assure myself that I don't suck as a knitter.

http://knizzlefoshizzle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

moongoddess
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  1:30:38 PM  Show Profile Send moongoddess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've also knitted a sample with cheaper yarn! I was thinking that was the way to go but now I'm not sure. I've knitted the sample without knowing what I'll do with it when I'm done. Next time, I'll think that thru more carefully. Sometimes I've skipped to the sleeves after I do the back! I want to feel like I'm getting somewhere fast(er)!! I went to knitting sweaters after there are only so many people who want scarves and not multiple ones!! Right now, I have scarves knitted up from stash for charity. I'm trying socks and I've mastered the leg and foot part but I'm still working on mastering the toe area and while I have 4 socks to the toe - I haven't taken the stash yarn out of the heel area to finish the heels!!
Cindy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.