Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 Feather and Fan Variations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HiDiane
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  4:29:30 PM  Show Profile Send HiDiane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any sites that show some feather and fan variations? I've worked it on even multiples of 18, and multiples of 12 - but I know there are more!

Thank you,
Diane

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2753 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  5:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do 12's and knit rows 1, 2, and 4. I do the k2tog 3x, k1 yo 6x, k2tog for a little different look. I get lost when I can't remember what row I'm on with the purling, so there it is. It's a little less girly for the boys.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

HiDiane
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  7:30:55 PM  Show Profile Send HiDiane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Rachel :) I haven't ever knit all the rows... I think I will swatch it to see how it looks. Less girly would definitely be an advantage at times!

Diane
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  06:15:12 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can do F&F on a multiple of 17 or 11 st. The pattern row would leave out the last K1 after the YOs. For an 11 st repeat, this row would read: * (K2tog) 2 times, (YO, K1) 3 times, YO, (K2tog) 2 times; repeat from *. Not a big difference but it may help if you need multiples of certain numbers of stitches. For smaller items, there's a related shell pattern with a pattern row: K2, *YO, P1, P3 tog, P1, YO, K2; repeat from *. The other 3 rows are all knit. It's a narrow repeat of 7+2 st so it works nicely for socks or baby apparel. Then there is the ostrich plumes pattern which is a variation of F&F. You can find an examples of it and many other great pictures of stitch patterns by searching this site:

http://thewalkertreasury.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

HiDiane
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  10:35:47 AM  Show Profile Send HiDiane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great resource, ceecee! Thanks :)

I bought one of my daughters (who lives about 3 hours from me) the set of Barbara Walker treasuries, but I only have the first. Next time I visit her I may have to borrow the others for a while!

Diane
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  11:20:19 AM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CeeCee -- Thanks for the link to the BW Treasury Project site. I though i'd died and gone to heaven ;-)

HAppy Knitting!
claire
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  4:27:07 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crest o'the Wave is another f & f variation that I like a lot. The Walker books are the best source for stitch patterns.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe