Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 ideal knitting chair
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

schrafinator
Chatty Knitter

332 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  08:12:14 AM  Show Profile Send schrafinator a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DH and I are likely moving in less than a year, so no purchases in the immediate future, but I wanted to get the KR folks' opinions and advice about what the ideal knitting chair would be like. I don't really love any of our chairs or couches; each of them have something about them that makes knitting uncomfortable after a short time.

I've already determined that it should either not have any arms or be wide enough for the arms to not get into the way of my elbows.

I think it should have good lumbar support to discourage hunching, and when sitting in it, my rear should be lower than my knees.

It also shouldn't be too hard.

So, what else should I consider?

(Just call me Goldilocks, right?)

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  10:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a LazyBoy type recliner and I love it.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  2:04:55 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A wonderful chaise lounge or "fainting couch".

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  7:48:14 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a loveseat - about the width of two armchairs, nicely upholstered.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

595 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  08:46:07 AM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love my LazyBoy recliner altho I don't recline when knitting. Sometimes I use a footstool instead of the footrest because it gives me better support for my legs.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
Go to Top of Page

maegan100
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  7:26:33 PM  Show Profile Send maegan100 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My brother and sister-in-law recently got a "Snuggler" chair. I think they're also called a chair and a half. It's like a regular recliner (rocks, reclines, is soft and cushy, and has great arms to set stuff on), but it is quite a bit wider than a regular recliner (hence the "chair and a half" term). The extra width makes it so you don't feel cramped and you don't hit your elbows on the arms of the chair. It's also not set up like two separate seats as most loveseats are, so you can sit smack dab in the middle of it without having to sit on a divider or gap in the cushions. I think it's absolutely the best chair I've ever sat in and when DH and I finally get around to getting a new chair for our living room we are definitely going to look for one of these!

Maegan
Go to Top of Page

knittingewe
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  9:09:52 PM  Show Profile Send knittingewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I'm really interested in this topic because I recently underwent tennis elbow surgery and in addition to knitting alot, I think maybe the way I was seated could have contributed to it. Does anyone know if it's better to have a chair that supports you elbows or is it better to get one without arms?

Jenny

So Much Yarn, So Little Time...
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  05:12:47 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a glider/recliner that is just wide enough to rest my elbows or not when I knit. It is so comfy and as my family will atest - I can knit in it for hours!!! I think the fact that it moves/is adjustable is the factor that keeps me from cramping up if I sit a long time - regular chairs/sofas leave me stiff.

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

Knitfool
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  06:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Knitfool a Yahoo! Message Send Knitfool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a Heywood-Wakefield Chair, the one in the Aristocraft series.
It has armrests that are low enough so that I can rest my elbows on it and is wide enough for my yarn to be next to me on the chair.
I also use a foot stool and a round pillow for lumbar support.

It took me a wile to find the perfect chair so you may want to take your knitting with you and try a chair out before you buy it.

Claudia

Live Happens, learn to deal with it!
Go to Top of Page

CathyAnn
Warming Up

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  2:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Send CathyAnn a Yahoo! Message Send CathyAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This a fascinating discussion. I have yet to find the perfect spot in my house to knit. I tend to slouch in my preferred spot on the big overstuffed couch with the down cushions. I don't seem to need elbow support, and I have sat in chairs elsewhere where the arms were too high, which got in my way. If you feel you need support for your elbows, it should be at a height where you don't have to hunch your shoulders up to have your arms in the right spot. A small stool or a footrest like they sell for use with computers might come in handy, too.

Taking your knitting with you while you chair shop is a good idea.

CathyAnn

TRAIN - ENDURE - ACHIEVE - MATTER
http://www.teamintraining.org
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2746 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  4:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KNITFOOL! YOU ARE MY NEW BEST FRIEND!!! I am an AVID HW collector...I have the buffet that is on the cover of the price guide. LOVE it! I'm so jealous you knit in a HW chair...

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  8:15:34 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am one of many who has a rocker/recliner. Don't know if the brand is Lazy Boy (or however they do the cutsie spelling) but it works.

I like it because

it's large enough to curl up in

it has a footrest one can pull out (pull the lever on the side of the chair)

it's a rocker and recliner tho I never recline and knit.

I think the idea of taking your kitting with you when you shop is an excellent one. You have to see if it's right for *you* and don't listen to anyone else. It will be your chair.

Margie

Silly Cone Valley, CA
I live in a crazy place -- I fit right in
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  9:28:58 PM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there such thing as ideal knitting chair for everyone? I like to hop around, for example, I like to knit in sofa while watching tv, in bed, in office chair, in recliner, or while having my foot massage.

You should try the chair to know what's comfortable (bring your knitting along while trying). I would think you should look at nice recliner preferably those with adjustable arm height, and foot rest. or maybe massage chair.

I like nice firm sofa, where I can move to near the arm rest or sit in the middle, up to my choice, and also my recliner from Ikea.

Go to Top of Page

Knitfool
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  07:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Knitfool a Yahoo! Message Send Knitfool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Purlthis,
I was lucky in finding this chair. I had to refinish it, under my HD supervision, and had new cushions sewn with extra-dense foam.
I'm still hunting for a mate but this chair type is hard to find and then the price is so high that I can't afford to buy it.

Mocha, how do you like the recliner form Ikea?
I'm to far away from an Ikea and have been looking at this chair for a wile.
Any pros or cons?
I need to add some chairs to my second floor balcony and have looked at this one or the sipmle bendwood chairs that they have.

Claudia

Live Happens, learn to deal with it!
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  09:30:57 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Claudia, love the recliner a lot. Only cons is that we have only 1 recliner, so if DH is there, I can't sit.

Adjustable height, low arm rest. If I knit on it and tired, I can push it down using my body and rest. There is matching foot rest too. Think mine is this one: http://www.ikea.com.sg/products/product_display.asp?id=832 beige color.
Go to Top of Page

justcookie
Chatty Knitter

288 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  10:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit justcookie's Homepage Send justcookie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a perfect knitting chair. It is circular and swivels. It is really wide, and the back of the chair wraps halfway around it, so it doesn't really have arms. It has a crescent shaped ottoman that fits around the front perfectly. It came with two huge back cushions, but I usually only use one, and sometimes a smaller pillow if I feel I need extra lower back support. I love it.

Cookie
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  12:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit on my loveseat, like Dicksie does. Mine is about 5 feet wide, leather, and cushy but not in a "sinking in to the couch way". It is also a bit taller on the seat section than many other couches, which is nice since on most couches my knees are bent funny because of my height. The couch also gives me enough space to have the cat sitting next to me without him being ON my knitting.

Midnightsky Fibers
Vegetarian and Environmentally Friendly Handspun & painted yarns, fibers, and kits
Midnightsky Fibers Livejournal
Midnightsky Fibers Blog
Go to Top of Page

aprilshowers
Chatty Knitter

295 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  11:18:46 AM  Show Profile Send aprilshowers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cookie - do you have any idea what company makes that chair? It sounds intriguing!
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  11:35:49 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Poang chair with additional foot stool are great if you like to lean back when knitting. I prefer sitting up bone straight. I have a rocking chair/glider in my knitting that is perfect for me. It has a nice, tall, well padded back and very comfy arm rests for my elbows and forearms. I have a small cheapie footstool from Zellers, and with the Ott light behind me it is perfect.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Help me walk all over cancer again in 2008
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  11:41:40 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my favorite chair for knitting. The arms are just right for using when I want them or not using when I don't. It pivots, glides, and leans back, too. The hassock glides, too.

I spend an awful lot of time in this chair! I bought it at Big Lots, but I understand other places have them, also.

Marilyn
Check out my bags here.
Go to Top of Page

justcookie
Chatty Knitter

288 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  12:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit justcookie's Homepage Send justcookie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aprilshowers

cookie - do you have any idea what company makes that chair? It sounds intriguing!

It was Ashley, but I just looked on their website and could find nothing like it. I have seen them before at other furniture shops, though.

Cookie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.