Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How often do you frog?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

hikingmommy
Chatty Knitter

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  11:36:56 AM  Show Profile Send hikingmommy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been knitting for nearly 2 years now. I've done sweaters, fingerless gloves, cables, lace, and miscellaneous other projects. I'm finding that the more I venture out and try different projects, yarn substitutions, etc., the more I end up frogging, sometimes hours worth of work. Is this normal? I imagine it is, but I need some reassurance b/c it's so frustrating feeling like I just wasted hours of work when I have to rip it out b/c something isn't right. Is this the norm? Is this a phase and with more experience I'll have to frog less?

Thanks for your insight!

Jints
Chatty Knitter

176 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  12:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know exactly how you feel. I frog some of nearly every project i start at least once, often more, before & after i really get going. So I think its totally normal, and I've been Knitting for a few decades. Part of my problem is I have a hard time deciding on which pattern or stitch to do, and often I'm not happy with the result, for various reasons, once I get knitting it. It can be quite frustrating. But it hasn't stopped me loving knitting.

Happy Knitting.
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  12:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a fact of the knitterly life: frogging happens.

Yarns decide they don't want to become that pattern, or it just doesn't look right, or any number of other causes.

Does it happen less? Hard to tell - I've been knitting more than 50 years, and still end up frogging several items a year. It seems the more adventurous I get, the pickier I am about the results, thus more items get frogged.

Still, it's not really wasted time if you learn something from it.
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  12:18:31 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have been knitting for many years and still do a fair amount of frogging.Last weekend I had quite a long frogging session - I had been knitting a sweater and decided that it wasn't to my liking,so I frogged it and have now started another sweater,which I think will better suit the yarn I'm using.

Leslie

My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  12:34:29 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AuntyNin

It's a fact of the knitterly life: frogging happens.

Yarns decide they don't want to become that pattern, or it just doesn't look right, or any number of other causes.

Does it happen less? Hard to tell - I've been knitting more than 50 years, and still end up frogging several items a year. It seems the more adventurous I get, the pickier I am about the results, thus more items get frogged.

Still, it's not really wasted time if you learn something from it.

:: I couldn't have put this better! My thoughts exactly.

M L
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2757 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  12:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regularly...

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  12:53:54 PM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been knitting about as long as you and I still frog a lot. I seem to go through phases when I feel like all I do is tinker and frog, tinker and frog. Part of it is just my personality - my creative process can be very indecisive. Even if I'm using a pattern I need to deconstruct it in my mind.

If you are growing as a knitter, learning new skills and trying new things, you need to accept some frogging along the way.

Check out my project pics

Join the Yarn Diet-A-Long

Go to Top of Page

nitnik69
Warming Up

91 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  1:02:33 PM  Show Profile Send nitnik69 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Frogging is my middle name.
Go to Top of Page

Durango
Chatty Knitter

181 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  1:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Durango's Homepage Send Durango a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a relatively new knitter (just started in January 2007), and I have frogged a portion of every project I have started so far. My tendency is to start something, get a couple of days into it, then decide that my design is not realistic, it won't fit, the gauge is wrong, the yarn is wrong, I made a big mistake early on, etc. That results in "total frogging". Every project has also included partial frogging, usually if I've had a half glass of wine while working. (I don't know why hard liquor doesn't mess me up so much.) I like Suzanne's idea that frogging is part of the creative process. If we don't frog, we aren't challenging ourselves.

Lynn
http://www.lynnsknitting.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1932 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  1:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I frog more than I care to admit...

and probably even more than I remember...

My mother made me a homosexual.
And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp

http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  1:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been knitting 50+ years and I still frog. Last night I was working on the cuff of some mittens -- k2, p1....and had a brain f*rt and realized I had done a row of k1,p1. Frog, frog, frog!

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com
www.heritagerecipes.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/felted-bags/
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  2:11:39 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a perfectionist and so I will usually frog or tink something in a project. Like Durango, I find that wine will usually trigger mistakes but I also have the problem with hard liquor too. Best for me not to drink and knit. And I'll do the stupidest things too usually knit where there should be a purl.

I just pulled out about 14 rows of the sleeve of a complex cable pattern a few days ago because there in the middle of a cable was a purl stitch. Broke my heart but I rationalized that at least it was near the cuff so there weren't that many stitches as there could have been. I've read about correcting cables by snipping and grafting and I had my scissors out to do that, but couldn't bear the thought of it. So frog frog frog.
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  2:17:15 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends if it is a yarn and a pattern I like I may only end up tinking (undoing only a few stitches in a row)
If it is a yarn and or a pattern I do not like - example piling yarn, dull patern - I frog a lot.
I found also if I find a yarn that I really enjoy using I pay extra careful attention to yarn and pattern so I do not make as many mistakes

Now I find the most mistakes I make are when I try doing something fast or if I have been using straight needles for a lot of projects and then jump to double pointed needles. I can use them but it takes me awhile to get used to them again..
Karen
Go to Top of Page

jwaid97
Chatty Knitter

135 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  2:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit jwaid97's Homepage Send jwaid97 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitnik69

Frogging is my middle name.

lol

I frog a lot at the beginning of projects. Sometimes the yarn just doesn't look right with the pattern. Usually I make scarves, shawls, and bags so gauge doesn't matter as much but after several rows the pattern may look different and I just don't like it as much as I once thought. I would rather frog something than leave it sitting forever and waste beautiful yarn that could clearly be something else.

Joanna

Check out my first attempt at a website. It's still a WIP but I'm learning.
www.rxknitter.com
Go to Top of Page

ClimberKnits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  2:28:57 PM  Show Profile Send ClimberKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I don't frog, the project may not end up like I wanted it to. Then I would not wear it. I see frogging as an investment in the piece so that it actually gets used.
Go to Top of Page

Strin9Theory
Chatty Knitter

130 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  2:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Strin9Theory's Homepage Send Strin9Theory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I frog regularly and have knitted for probably 40 years! I want my projects to look hand-made, not home-made, so am a perfectionist. It's worth it in the end when you have such a wonderful piece you can truly be proud of!

Eve
Strin9Theory
http://strin9theory.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  5:29:16 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would rather frog something than leave it sitting forever and waste beautiful yarn that could clearly be something else.

Joanna

[/quote]

Joanna
That is exactly how I feel when I try something and I get that odd feeling that the item will not happen. Frogged a sock, a couple of would be sweaters and a tank top because of this. I had totally forgotten about the blotched sweater and tank top until I read this.

The sock will become a sock some day - just not during preparing holiday gifts, the sweater became a scarf and the yarn for the tank top is waiting for a better pattern that screams do this tank top...
Karen
Go to Top of Page

Fraggle
Seriously Hooked

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  7:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fraggle's Homepage Send Fraggle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You rarely see a FO from me because I frog so much...

~ Fraggle

". . . Or if you send me your size I'll knit you a new one" -Hawkeye on M*A*S*H

My websites:
Fraggle's World and For Me?! Knit-a-long
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  8:07:27 PM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seldom frog.. but then again, I have a lot of UFO. So either you frog or UFO.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  12:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually frog more in the beginning of a project, although I have frogged a pair of socks after they'd been completed and worn several times!

I'd rather frog and do it right than finish it and not use it, like others have said.

Don't be afraid that it won't be perfect...the only thing you should really be afraid of is that it won't be! - Company
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  02:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surprisingly little... and I have only 1 ufo right now and 4 wips. I frogged about 15 rows yesterday because I had a dropped stitch at the side which I could not repair otherwise.

Marjolein

my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by