Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Get me out of this slump PLEASE!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

knittingnut_101
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  1:15:31 PM  Show Profile Send knittingnut_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. I'm in one of those knitting slumps. I finished a very nice sweater for my mother-in-law and she really appreciated it (strokes for me). Now I've been knitting a vest for my husband and I believe I'm going to have to rip back a few inches. It looks like I'm off the pattern but I can't find where.

Yes, I'm discouraged but I want it to look good. I need a diversion, i.e. another project, to get me through this.

Suggestions Please?

Thanks for reading this.

Antonina

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  1:43:23 PM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A mindles sock? They always help me get back on track.

Don't worry, this too shall pass.

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  1:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry!

I lost my mojo a couple of weeks ago. Someone suggested doing something non knitting but fiber related so I dyed some yarn. Just the act of creating something with yarn helped me get back into knitting. Also I knit something fast--I think it was a scarf and matching hat so I could get back into the rhythm of knitting and it felt good to complete something.

Good luck! If you can't dye, maybe a trip to a new LYS or an online retailer you've never tried before?

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."

http://hissyknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittingnut_101
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  2:26:07 PM  Show Profile Send knittingnut_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, both are good ideas. I haven't knitted any socks before. Maybe I should go down to my LYS and see if there are any lessons on knitting socks on circular needles. Isn't that the new THANG?
Go to Top of Page

jwaid97
Chatty Knitter

135 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  2:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jwaid97's Homepage Send jwaid97 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why I always have several projects going. When I get frustrated with a project or am just not in the mood for it, then I work on another one. I do lots of other crafts too so when I don't feel like knitting then there is still lots of stuff that I can create.

Joanna

Check out my first attempt at a website. It's still a WIP but I'm learning.
www.rxknitter.com
My blog is finally up. Check it out at www.rxknitter.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  8:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I hate that! I am calling it PPD these days. Post Project Depression!

The vest clearly needs to be put on timeout, as Hojo puts it.

Then you can do something else....mindless is good. Small is good. Felting is good as well.

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  04:07:20 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your heart isn't in it, give it a time-out and find something new. Have you knitted the Felted Clogs by Fiber Trends? They are a fun and quick knit, and will keep your feet toasty during the winter.

Angie
My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26414328@N00/
My blog: http://zippyzinnia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Queen Knitsalot
Permanent Resident

USA
1331 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  04:24:24 AM  Show Profile Send Queen Knitsalot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I vote for the mindless knitting. You need to get away from the vest for a bit so when you come back to it you see it with "fresh eyes."

Suzanne

I'm not crazy.....I'm colourful. Sounds better on a resume.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  07:55:10 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am kinda in the same boat. I am so scattered from the move that I am having trouble concentrating.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Bernadette
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  10:34:30 AM  Show Profile Send Bernadette a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Antonina,

How about knitting a few dishcloths? There are so many simple but pretty free patterns available on the internet and in leaflets and the LionBrand, Sugar'n Cream and Peaches and Creme companies have some very bright and cheerful colors of cotton yarn available!

I love to knit them!

Best regards!
Bernadette
Go to Top of Page

knittingnut_101
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  12:45:19 PM  Show Profile Send knittingnut_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

This past weekend I got back on track.

First, I did some swatching for my next project - sort of mindless. Ended up ordering more of the same yarn.

Next, I listened to the Knit Pick podcasts (inspiring) while ironing and swatching.

Third, I did rip out a few rows of "that vest" and at least found where I was before the screw up.

I'm looking at my LYS for socks lessons since I never did any. This will help with future knitting slump times.

I dug up some Sugars-n-Cream cotton yarn. I have the Shadow Knitting book and I may try that technique for a dish cloth.

So I wrote out a pattern for my next sweater, and this one will be for me, knitted more rows on the vest and ordered more yarn. I feel good now.

The taking a break from the current project helped and looking forward to others is nice too.

Thanks all for your input, that's a real boost.

Antonina
Go to Top of Page

Hulagirl
Chatty Knitter

174 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  3:16:59 PM  Show Profile Send Hulagirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even tho' knitting is theraputic - does anyone EVER wake up, and it's just one of those days that you DON'T want to knit? I don't
know if it's a slump or depression but I don't even want to look at
yarn sites!!
Go to Top of Page

TerriP
Chatty Knitter

124 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  3:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit TerriP's Homepage Send TerriP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the vote for the washcloths. They always are a quick pick me up, and can make great last minute gifts for the upcoming holiday season.
Go to Top of Page

knittingnut_101
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  4:35:26 PM  Show Profile Send knittingnut_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Hulagirl,

I haven't felt like NOT knitting. I guess I haven't had enough of it. I'm even looking at what kind of vacation to take so I can knit more. Road trip anyone?

Hope your slump doesn't last long. At least you're looking at this knitting forum site.

Take care,
Antonina
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  7:36:57 PM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hulagirl,
take a break then. It would be useful to know why you are so frustrated (pattern? keep on ripping some projects? etc etc)
Do other things that makes you happy. I stopped knitting when I just started playing game.
Go to Top of Page

counterculture
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  07:25:30 AM  Show Profile Send counterculture a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup! When total frustration sets in, I reach for the Peaches n' Creme. Nuthin' like a dishcloth to get my mojo back.
Go to Top of Page

mcmircle
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  8:59:40 PM  Show Profile Send mcmircle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't need a class to learn socks. There are lots of booklets and a wonderful web site, Socks 101. I learned to turn the heel from Terri's calm, clear instructions and photos:
http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html

Michelle in Evanston IL
Go to Top of Page

Skipper
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  9:32:38 PM  Show Profile Send Skipper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I'm tired of knitting, I read a book or two it's get me completely away from my knitting and I come back to it refreshed
Go to Top of Page

ybjs@hotmail.co.uk
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  02:17:22 AM  Show Profile Send ybjs@hotmail.co.uk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think slumps affect us all at various stages. Its your minds way of saying give it a rest. I endorse what Skipper has to say about reading. May be as its near to a festive season you may enjoy making small projects which accumulate fast. Knitted Christmas tree or table decorations, stockings for santa to fill,Advent garlands for the stairs. The satisfaction of completion always recharges you.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  02:27:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have knit very little in the past year. Shrug. Sometimes life gets in the way. Go do something else, your knitting will be there when you return.

Amanda Takes Off... and Amanda Knits

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  03:43:27 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't need the lessons. Get Diane Soucy's Knitting Pure and Simple patterns- she has many in different weights. Start with one of her basics. They are clearly the easiest directions to understand, IMO.

When I need mindless, I always turn to socks or a Feather n Fan scarf. It's a simple lace repeat, doesn't need a huge amount of concentration once you get the pattern down pat.

I think we all sometimes get into a slump. BTW, what Vest pattern did you use? I have been looking in vain for one for my Husbeast. KL
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?