Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Yarn Baskets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pamie
Chatty Knitter

108 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  8:57:32 PM  Show Profile Send Pamie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This past year I have collected just as much yarn as I have books ( I have a habit of buying books faster than I can read them and that habit has now shifted over to my knitting/crocheting). I have one basket full on yarn still in the skeins and then a second basket full of various sized yarn balls from previous projects. I can't wait for the day when I have a home that has a room dedicated to sewing/knitting/crocheting/textiles. Does anyone have that luxury? (i.e. a room dedicated to textile art/hobbies).

Fivefibers
Permanent Resident

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  1:42:50 PM  Show Profile Send Fivefibers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually.... yes, I do. It's called the spare bedroom and my DH seldom goes in it![:00]

Fivefibers
2sheep; 3goats; 5bunnies
(so far)
Go to Top of Page

Pat in east Texas
Chatty Knitter

314 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  7:25:49 PM  Show Profile Send Pat in east Texas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do, too. Also a spare bedroom. Full of basketmaking supplies, floor loom, sewing machine and serger, bass guitars and amp, computer, books, and lots of yarn. And all the supplies for these hobbies. Knitting yarn is mostly in a couple of 3-tiered baskets with lots of cedar blocks. Weaving yarn and thread is in a bookcase, also protected by fierce cedar blocks. Basket reed hangs on the wall. Since I have to use all this up before I die, I'm gonna live to be a million!
Go to Top of Page

yarnjunkie
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  09:03:56 AM  Show Profile Send yarnjunkie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do y'all feel having yarn just "out" with the thought of moths hanging over you? I've got all of my yarn stored away in bins that are as air-tight as I can get them (thank you, Rubbermaid), with cedar blocks scattered in, around, on top of, and underneath the skeins.... I've even got some of it in vacuum-sealed bags. Not totally air-free, 'cause I don't want it too squished....

Anyway, I'd love to have yarn out, decorating my house, but just can't get over the moth paranoia! I did think about using my vacuum sealer and some pretty mason jars....How would that be for a decorating scheme: Jars O'Yarn?!?

Beth :)
Wool is not just a toy for cats.
Go to Top of Page

TreesbytheSea
Chatty Knitter

207 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  3:42:52 PM  Show Profile Send TreesbytheSea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the jars idea!
Most of mine are in baskets, some are in clear plastic bags. I regularly check for moths and carpet beetles.

I came to this thread hoping to find someone with a stash much larger than mine. I was thinking someone with an entire spare room, or at least an entire closet, spilling over with yarn. I have two large baskets, packed to overflowing, at least three medium sized ones, two kinda small ones, two large clear bags packed to the rim, plus the WIP's, also a number embarassingly high. So, tell the truth, how much do you really have?
Go to Top of Page

knitwitt
Seriously Hooked

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  4:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitwitt's Homepage Send knitwitt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some yarn in baskets -- current WIPs and anything in the immediate queue (stuff that will be cast on the second something becomes an FO). My favorite basket is a large round grass one from Kenya (the kind with the leather-wrapped handle). The others are cloth-lined cheapies from a craft store that tuck into the coffee table shelves.

I am okay leaving these things in the open -- each WIP is in a thick ziplock bag with lavender sachets, and they are in and out frequently enough that I could spot any evil buggies. One thing to note is, wool m*ths do not like light. They are far more likely to take refuge in dark, close spaces like the back of your closet. So, your yarn should be pretty safe out in the open. This is a helpful link, btw, re: m*ths:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7435.html

The main stash (which is a lot) of yarn and fiber are in space bags with loads of lavendar, which are in turn in gigantic rubbermaid bins with still more lavendar.

Nice thing about the space bags is, they save enough room that you can go out and buy more yarn to fill up all that newly achieved extra space. ;)

--Jennifer

http://impatientknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  01:08:42 AM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly no craft room [:((] *sniff* my "craft crap" is pretty much scatterd wherever it happens to fit. I have one of those collapsible nylon cube type things from Menards next to the chair with a lot of my WIPs. I do have one of those large orange bags with an afghan hiding behind the recliner (which became a nice place to pile junk and now I can't get to the afghan) I also have an entry closet shoved full of junk, and every nook and cranny between the junk is stuffed with yarn. Of course it all has to hide from you know who that way he can't tell when new things come in! I do try to keep my wools in the plastic zip bags that sheets and blankets come in so it is protected. Only once did I notice an issue with yarn being munched on, and that was before I realized it was wool. I actually like the smell of moth balls, how weird is that?!

Just because I knit, doesn't mean I'm not dangerous!
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  01:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have yarn in open baskets (mostly WIPs and UFOs, technically), skeins of sock and lace yarns in a clear plastic set of Rubbermaid drawers, and the rest of my worsted weight yarn in plastic bins. I guess I kind of have a room dedicated to my yarn - I live by myself, so no one shares my living room area!

Don't be afraid that it won't be perfect...the only thing you should really be afraid of is that it won't be! - Company
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

ybjs@hotmail.co.uk
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  02:20:39 AM  Show Profile Send ybjs@hotmail.co.uk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Children flown the nest. Space and lots of rest.
Then quiet fills the rooms and sadness tinged with gloom.
A crafter I will be and work on effortlessly.
I'll fill the space with joy and yarns I will employ.
I write to the review, finding like minded people, just like you.
The gloom it dissipates, by my crafting which is great.
Go to Top of Page

JoanH
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  03:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoanH's Homepage Send JoanH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have a wool room. My yarn is all stored in zippered vinyl bags in four large closets plus the walk-in closet. It's all inventoried and sync'd to my Palm. I'm kind of an organizing nut!! Pics at www.PictureTrail.com/joanhamer
Go to Top of Page

Pinnsvinn
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  04:24:48 AM  Show Profile Send Pinnsvinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have a yarn half room. I'm a bit of an organizing nut as well, although I keep my palm pilot for my work.

But I have plastic bins that are large enough to hold yarn for a large-ish sweater and I've organized all my yarns by projects and labeled them in front. All my single skeins and unattached yarns are in another bin and so marked.

Since I tend to buy yarn for a sweater project -- that I will eventually get to-- I rarely have yarn that is not already allocated.

This way i can see exactly what sweaters I have to knit(currently about 17)and figure out when I will finish.

At my rate of yarn accumulation, I think I should be caught up by the end of this millenium.
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

191 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  04:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I share my stash with my laundry rroom, where I have bins, baskets, cupboards, drawers, and cubbies - all overflowing with yarn, hand loom, and lots of other paraphernalia. It's on the floor, walls, on top of the washer and dryer! Much of the time, I have to dig around and/or clean up to actually FIND the washer and dryer. It's out of control - but organized!

I am happy to announce that we are about to have a space created in our FROG (I think it's a Southern acronym for finished room over garage), with built-ins, counter space, drawers, and cupboards for ME! I am so excited! It will still be a shared space - with sleeping for 6 family members when they visit ( a few times a year!), my sewing machine, ironing board, and etc., but it will be MINE! And there will no doubt still be baskets and bins in addition, but it's a start at being able to manage, organize, and create in a space with real light ( AKA WINDOWS!) YAY!!!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://portcitypottery.com

Go to Top of Page

MelissaKnits
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  05:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit MelissaKnits's Homepage Send MelissaKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a full finished basement. Dangerous. It is intended to be a creative workspace complete with big metal racks stuffed with bins of yarn, sewing and cutting table, and bins of fiber and fabric. It's expanded and as I sit here there's yarn piled in my LR by the bookcase, and two overhead cupboards in my office full of yarn, and more yarn in an armoire in there. And some extra yarn on the floor in front of my entertainment center that just appeared yesterday (as if by magic, truly). I can't really work in the basement. The tables are all covered with yarn...

Go to Top of Page

Wendelene
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  05:40:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wendelene's Homepage Send Wendelene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have managed to get fiber or fiber related stuff in every room of my house. Even the bathroom has an arrangement of knitting needles on the back of the toilet.
When I was house hunting, my realtor could not figure out what I was doing at first. I'd stood in the largest room and hold my arms out wide and start measuring off spaces. When I explained that I was making sure there was room for both my looms, at least one spinning wheel, and all the yarn, she was shocked. "You realize this is the master bedroom?" My response - who needs room to sleep, the yarn is more important! I now have a nice cozy bedroom and a roomy "loom room"!
Go to Top of Page

bare49@hotmail.com

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  05:43:41 AM  Show Profile Send bare49@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a whole bus...a 1960 Bluebird school bus converted to RV and then retired and converted to my studio. I love it- tons of storage and a quiet place of my own

Beary Godmother
Go to Top of Page

momslake
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  06:20:12 AM  Show Profile Send momslake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, I do. The unfinished basement bathroom will become my designated yarn room...soon, I hope!

"In the northern wilderness, where wool is a way of life."
My Photos (not all knitting) http://www.flickr.com/photos/9944308@N08/
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  06:38:57 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are recent empty nesters with a large house. I have a room that I'm getting ready to better organize as my knitting "cave". Right now everything is in a different bag or bin or spilling out of the closet. I'm in the process of finding yarn I forgot I had!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

jenesei@comcast.net
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  06:39:04 AM  Show Profile Send jenesei@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a sewing room, with space to keep the sewing machine and serger out all the time, with the sewing machine in a quilter's sewing table with space to lay out or cut. This is a luxury I've dreamed about since I was a child. I added waist-to-ceiling shelves on one wall, and I have clear plastic storage bins on the shelves with sorted quilting fabrics and projects. On the floor under the shelves are stacks of clear plastic bins with yarn sorted by fiber or weight and labeled on the outside (sock yarn, lace weight, and scarf projects get their own bins. Heavier weights are sorted by fiber. It works for me!) UFOs or USP (Un-Started Projects, where the yarn and pattern are at least determined and together and maybe swatched) are mostly in zipped project bags, either plastic, or fabric tote bags. There are far too many of them. In my living room I have a large basket on the floor filled with fabric tote bags holding works in progress, or UFOs (depending on my degree of optimism/pessimism). I also have two large clear glass canisters, or maybe they are cookie jars, in whicn I display some of my favorite multi-colored yarns.
Go to Top of Page

lilm4105
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  06:42:50 AM  Show Profile Send lilm4105 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a walk in closet dedicated to my yarn and somehow it has taken over my office. I, too have the moth paranoia and therefore have most of it in 2 (large) rubbermaid containers and 3 of those new Extra Large Ziploc bag that are almost as tall as I am! Somehow large amounts of it seemed to be spread out all over my house though!
Go to Top of Page

ibknittin
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  06:44:07 AM  Show Profile Send ibknittin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the first time ever, I actually have a whole room dedicated to the stash. 27 - 118 quart plastic boxes with lids full of my obsession.

It's sorted by yarn weight, all cataloged, though not on a spreadsheet.

I'd post a picture, but it's an absoluate wreck right now, what with all the Christmas knitting...

Lyn
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  07:17:38 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Pamie,
I have a knitting room too. We moved from a very small house to a large home and as the movers brought in things on moving day I was the designator for the items coming off the truck i.e. living room,kitchen ,knitting room. After a while these big gruff men held up large bags of yarn asking "knitting room?" It was too funny.
Debra
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.