Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Favorite Warm, Soft Scarf Yarn?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SandyHarsh
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  10:32:24 AM  Show Profile Send SandyHarsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to make a really nice, warm, soft scarf for my best friend for Christmas. Does anyone have particular favorites for this kind of scarf. I want to use a pattern I found in The Natural Knitter that is knit in k1p1 rib and has a ruffle on each end. The pattern calls for aran weight yarn.

Thanks!

likestoknittoo
Warming Up

86 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  7:34:34 PM  Show Profile Send likestoknittoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, my all time favorite yarn is Filatura Di Crosa-Zara for sweaters and scarves, however this is a DK weight yarn. It is however extremely soft and a dream to work with and would make a beautiful scarf. You might want to try Debbie Bliss Cashmerino yarn in the aran weight, her yarns are also very beautiful. I have also been told by a super nice fellow forum member that Berroco merino is really a wonderful yarn for a scarf. (I plan on making a scarf from the Berroco myself.) Keep us posted on what yarn you pick and Happy Knitting!
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  9:09:34 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love anything alpaca! Blue Sky is one of favorites. I am currently using an awesome wool yarn! It is seriously one of the softest yarns I've felt. It's about a worsted weight, good stitch definition and so soft! But it will felt, she will have to hand wash.I got it from Stonhedge Fiber Mill http://www.stonehedgefibermill.com/yarn.html

Just because I knit, doesn't mean I'm not dangerous!
Go to Top of Page

SandyHarsh
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  08:38:12 AM  Show Profile Send SandyHarsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions! I've been contemplating the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino, too. I've bookmarked the Stonehedge Fiber Mill site, the yarns are so beautiful!

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

SandyHarsh
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  08:41:22 AM  Show Profile Send SandyHarsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had any experience with the Rowan Cashsoft? I see that it's on sale Jimmy Beans Wool.

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

elizf
Chatty Knitter

118 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  10:01:11 AM  Show Profile Send elizf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've bought some Rowan Cashsoft for a scarf/mitten set, but haven't gotten around to knitting it yet (and winter is almost here - yikes!). It certainly feels lovely in the skein...

Liz
Go to Top of Page

likestoknittoo
Warming Up

86 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  10:30:12 AM  Show Profile Send likestoknittoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I purchased for my stash some Rowan Cashsoft DK on ebay quite some time ago in the cream/off-white color. I plan on making the Gatsby Girl Pullover from Interweave Knits with it. It is looks and feels like beautiful yarn, so soft and plush. I like working with fine merino wools, so I am looking forward to working with this yarn.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  07:01:45 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've made scarves from the Cashmerino and love it! Now that I think about it, I bought some of the Rowan, too, but need to go hunting for it in my stash.... I'm making a scarf right now with a multi-colored Malabrigo in a cable and lace pattern. It is soooo soft. I need to get it done soon as the first light snow is forecasted next week!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

CathyAnn
Warming Up

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  10:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Send CathyAnn a Yahoo! Message Send CathyAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know how it compares to the others mentioned here, but I just did one for the Red Scarf Project in Berroco "Ultra Alpaca" (50/50 alpaca & merino)s, and I was "this close" to keeping it for myself. I'll have to make another. I also made a log cabin wrap from "Sol" 100% merino worsted (The Purled Llama Yarn Company), and had enough left over to make a really soft and wonderful scarf for a gift. However, Sol comes in very large hanks (555 yards)--way more than you need for one scarf.

CathyAnn

TRAIN - ENDURE - ACHIEVE - MATTER
http://www.active.com/donate/tntnoh/CathyAnn2008
Go to Top of Page

Kath
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  08:30:27 AM  Show Profile Send Kath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm making that scarf with malabrigo worsted weight in olive. I'm just ready to start with the second hank and I think it will be enough. My gauge is always way to big so I'm using size 5 needles. It's looking really pretty and it's super soft. This is my first time using Malabrigo.

Kath
Go to Top of Page

Lynne_L
Warming Up

82 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  5:48:07 PM  Show Profile Send Lynne_L a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the softness of Malabrigo too. - Lynne

Lynne
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  11:03:13 PM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirdar Sublime..
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  01:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently made a scarf with Malabrigo for my husband (there is a picture amongst my photos) and I can not praise this yarn enough for scarves. It's soft and warm and really nice colors. I liked it so much I bought some more for another scarf.

Marjolein

my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
Go to Top of Page

Emm
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  07:40:24 AM  Show Profile Send Emm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by marjotse

I recently made a scarf with Malabrigo for my husband (there is a picture amongst my photos) and I can not praise this yarn enough for scarves. It's soft and warm and really nice colors. I liked it so much I bought some more for another scarf.

Marjolein

Marjolein,

What was the yarn you made the shifting sands scarf out of? It is gorgeous?
Thanks

Emm
Go to Top of Page

SandyHarsh
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  09:07:39 AM  Show Profile Send SandyHarsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to definitely check out the Malabrigo!! I love the Sublime as well, it's amazingly soft. Thanks for the recommendations!

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  09:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Emm.
I used malabrigo in the colourway Loro barranquero and I used 2 skeins completely. My husband really likes it and has been wearing it each and every day since he got it.

Marjolein

my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
Go to Top of Page

LilyBeth
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  2:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit LilyBeth's Homepage Send LilyBeth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but Knit Picks has a 100% baby alpaca in heathered colors that is soft, soft, soft and warm, warm, warm.

---------------

Visit The Dilettante -- a blog where art lovers
can rediscover the masterpieces. www.lunday.com/dilettante/
Go to Top of Page

knittingitall
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  2:44:44 PM  Show Profile Send knittingitall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a newish yarn from Sublime that is made with cashmere, merino wool and silk. It is very soft and knits up beautifully. Alot of customers in my store like it.
Go to Top of Page

schrafinator
Chatty Knitter

332 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  5:41:20 PM  Show Profile Send schrafinator a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a keyhole scarf in a seeded rib pattern from Malabrigo in the red Java semi-solid color and it is incredibly soft. The stitch definition is also really good, which is surprising given that it is a single ply.

(I have been reading Clara's book! lol)
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  7:09:13 PM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knititingitall, yes, Sublime is a luxury line from Sirdar. There is also the angora blend. Heavenly with a bit of mohair look. It *is* amazingly soft and yummy.
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  9:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also love Alpaca for softness. I am knitting a scarf with Misti Baby Alpaca worsted, and I think they have a bulky or chunky weight also. Connie

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.