Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Super Duper Basic Beginner Talk
 singer LK100
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jewells
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  7:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit jewells's Homepage Send jewells a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a singer LK100 that I got a auction today and it has no paper work with it.And I would love to find someone that can help me out with this.I would like to know how to use it.I have always wanted one.And I got one now and I cant even play with it yet.I hope there is someone out there that can help me out.

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  9:58:14 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey I have one and I have the book. It's not that it's complicated once you get going, but more annoying than anything. The tension settings are basic, from light worst to bulky. I used 5 on a slightly heavy worsted weight and it worked well, play with it your yarn will tell you if it's right or not. I started at a 3 and it was hard to shove the carriage across. Also any tension on the yarn at all can cause a jam or the machine to stick. I really ahd to shove it a few times to get it across. My husband kept saying I was going too fast, well he was wrong I was going too slow and it was sticking.

THREADING YARN: wind yarn into a loose center pull ball (NO RESISTANCE!) take the end, slide it through the clip on the front of the carriage, through the little plastic groove up into the tension spring and down into the 'crack', hold end securely when you move the carriage across the firt time.

SETUP: Start by knitting a swatch. Locate 0 on the board, move 15pegs (needles) on either side of 0 to the B position. Using the peg comb move every other peg back to the A position. Holding yarn end tightly, move carriage across the bed. This will place the yarn into every other needle. Hook one of the long weights with the 15 hooks onto this, one hook in each little space between needles. Clip the yarn end to the front of the weight.

MOVE ALL 30 PINS BACK TO B! I kept forgetting this part.

Set your counter back to 0-0-0 and move the carriage back across the bed, this should make row 1. Now continue to move back and forth a couple more rows and hang the clam weights at the edge of the piece. THIS IS IMPORTANT! I didn't realize how important until I lost my edge stitch about 5 times. You want to move those up frequently every 5 rows or so. You also want to move the long weight up every 20 rows or so to keep things even. Once you're comfy with the swatch, unthread the machine and run the carriage across, this will release all the stitches.

***If you get a jam gently release the clip at the back of the carriage and lift straight up, slowly you might get stuck on a couple needles.
TO ADD NEW YARN: if you have less than 3 times the width of the item you should just add a new ball. Move the carriage to the end, unthread the old ball, rethread with new ball. Clip both ends into the weight to hold secure and continue knitting.
After awhile you will become accustomed to fixing the mistakes and dropped stitches, I don't think that can be taught in a forum post. But it took me a good couple hours to get started on it. I tried a baby blanket and the 90 stitches really weren't wide enough it ended up a little skinny, but whatever it's a gift for a coworker I don't know. I don't know how to rib yet, but I did figure out if you want to do yarn overs you have to actually move the stitch where you want the YO to the next needle, this will create a YO and a K2tog all at the same time!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe