Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 Baby blanket size.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carisa
Warming Up

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  04:53:42 AM  Show Profile Send Carisa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished a nice baby blanket which is about 50 cm x 50 cm (20in x 20in) using 3.5 mm (4us) needles with lovely baby yarn from bergere de france Caline and Peter Pan yarn.
I dont use patterns, I just cast on about 100 to 120 stitches and off I go...
I am knitting baby blankets for charities and was wondering which size of baby blanket was for which ages !!! What would be the ideal size for a newborn baby ?
Thanks for your help.

Am Carysabel on Ravelry

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  07:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The January issue of Crochet! has a pattern for Preemie blankets which suggests the following (sorry I'm not good at converting measurements from American):
12" x 15" for baby 1-3 pounds
19" x 25" for baby 4-5 pounds
25" x 30" for "newborn" which I think is usually 6-8 pounds

the pattern uses "light worsted" yarn and hooks are 3.75mm and 5.5mm

a lady I know who supplements her grocery money by making baby blankets to order votes for a minimum of 30" x 30" because she says she wants that precious baby well wrapped. a smal baby would get lost in one of her blankets.

maybe there is someone associated with the charities you could ask about their preferences? if they are receiving a lot of the 30"x30" size, they might appreciate some smaller ones.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

Carisa
Warming Up

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  08:07:37 AM  Show Profile Send Carisa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a million knitz2 !

I am going to knit different sizes of baby blanket now. And I will do my best to try the american way of mesurement for a change !
Happy days !
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  09:26:05 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The baby blankets I make are at least a 90cm/36" square. I usually make them longer than they are wide and I don't make them for specific ages because that doesn't make a lot of sense (to me) because they aren't used as garments. I make mine a generous size because I want it to have some long-term usefulness.

I don't really get the measurements in Crochet! magazine because blankets should not used in a cot/crib for an infant and would certainly never be used to cover a premature baby in a hospital. It might be used for an few seconds in order to take a photo, but that's it.

2007 shawls/throws completed: 23
2007 socks completed: 24
WIPs: Aran braid scarf (my design) in Black Water Abbey yarn and
Scroll socks in Dream in Color Smooshy

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  11:00:02 AM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a grammy I have learned that there is such a thing as too big! 30 x 30" is a good size . . . but it intends on the inent of your style of blanket. If it is a silk lace heirloom, that is one thing. If you want the kid dragging it along on trips, in the car for long rides, etc. make it on the smaller size!

-- Mean Mama

“Qui vit sans folie,
N’est pas si sage qu’il le croit.”
Go to Top of Page

stubbolly
Chatty Knitter

146 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  2:26:07 PM  Show Profile Send stubbolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually try to make my baby blankets around 36" - 40" square (or as close to square as the stitch pattern allows). My thinking is that a blanket that size can be used to wrap up the baby and keep it warm for more than just a couple of months, or the parents can just lay it out flat on the floor for the kid to play on.
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  6:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the listing Knitz2 gave earlier.

Hospitals have babies of varying sizes. Another area you might not have considered is the sad event of a baby being born much too soon, causing its ability to survive to be very slim. The nurses at the hospital like to have something pretty in which to wrap this precious little one who has passed away. Parents like to hold the baby (even though it has died) and spend time with their tiny one in order to say good-bye. This time is very hard for them, but softened somewhat with a lovely bonnet and blanket (and possibly a gown of some type). These babies are often very small, so the smaller 15" x 15" would probably work well. We try to provide a variety of sizes, from tiny all the way up to typical newborn.

Our knitting group makes a point to make personal contact with the head nurse of the nursery at the hospital to find out what their needs are and what their policies are.

If anyone is interested in patterns, there are many online that are very good and free. Let me know and I'll be glad to PM or postlinks to some of our favorites.

Bev's Country Cottage website has a listing of baby and child sizes and measurements for various items here:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html#blanket Just scroll up from here to see more info on body measurements and such.

Barbara

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  2:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maribelaprn

I don't really get the measurements in Crochet! magazine because blankets should not used in a cot/crib for an infant ... It might be used for an few seconds in order to take a photo, but that's it.

ah, ok, ah - how do you keep the baby warm?

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  3:36:21 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blankets of any type should not be used for infants who cannot turn themselves or hold up their heads due to the risk of suffocation. I've seen the aftermath of such incidents. Infants should be warmly dressed, with feet and hands covered, and placed in their cribs with no object that is loose or can come loose, as that would pose a risk to the infant. That includes caps and blankets. Older babies who can turn themselves and raise their heads are not at high risk as they can move themselves away from some object that might cover their mouths.

As for the part you snipped out where I said that a blanket would never be used on a premature infant, such children are in the controlled environment of incubators where both the infant's body temperature as well as the temperature in the incubator is constantly monitored. Rarely is anything placed on a premature infant other than a diaper or a small cap. If the child is well enough to be taken out of the incubator for a few minutes to be held, the infant is swaddled snugly in hospital-provided cotton blankets and a cap is put on their heads. They remain on monitors so if there is any drop in their temperature, they can be immediately returned to the incubator. I'm a pediatric nurse practitioner with 40 years of experience and a doctorate in nursing. I know a thing or two about keeping babies warm.

Barbara, good point about asking the facility to whom the blankets would be given as to what their preferences and requirements would be. We nurses fund a program in our hospital so that we have lovely tiny clothing or small blankets on hand for infants who pass. That gesture is very much appreciated by grieving parents.
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  05:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blankets are used to wrap around the baby when he/she is being held--which is a lot of use.

When our Lily (granddaughter) a preemie, was in the NICU, once she was doing better, we (parents and grandparents only) were allowed to hold her and my daughter was able to give her breast milk in a bottle. We could use our blankets when holding her.

Yes, at first when they are in the NICU, they are swaddled in hospital blankets.

Another use for a smaller size blanket is to put over the baby when he/she is in the car seat/carrier.

Barbara

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.