Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting in Warm climates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  12:58:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is kind of silly, but it has been on my mind. I live in the Mid Atlantic states (snowing and gray and cold, at the moment), and realized as I started this message that I am wearing a pair of handknit wool socks, a wool and tencel neck thingie (gaiter? cowl?) over my top, and have a triangular lace shawl over my winter coat today. I started knitting when I lived in Madison WI and it became an obsession during my life here in PA.

But now I am in the running for a job I really want, in a city I would love to live in, where the temperature today is in the 80s. Sandals most of the year. Now I love love love wearing sandals. But I looked at my closet full of wool yarn and realized that there will be an additional aspect to my culture shock if I get this job. Like, learning to like knitting with cotton and linen! [:00] I know there are active knitting groups in this city, as well as what sounds like a couple of great knitting stores. (I am being superstitious -- don't want to jinx my chances -- but OK, it's San Antonio. Shhhh!)

But I am looking at my partially done pullover in Rowan Kid Classic thinking, "Why finish this? Maybe I should frog it and do a jacket or cardigan. That MIGHT get some wear." So, warm weather knitters, what do you knit, and with what fibers? I have the feeling that I might end up turning to other fibercraft, like weaving and sewing, but I do love to knit.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  1:47:43 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to live in Seattle. Circumstances made my DH & I move to AZ. We both dislike it alot here & can't wait to move back to Seattle. My husband was born in Tacoma, WA; I was born in NY, so we both like cold weather! Moving here didn't change my knitting habits much- I still knit with wool, just not in the summer months. I use bamboo, cotton, tencel & silk. When it cools down (AZ is horribly HOT) I go right back to my wool. I hope you'll be able to do the same. There's LOTS of a/c here & in Texas, so you should be fine!

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  2:03:54 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in California. I wouldn't get much use out of a very heavy sweater but I knit socks, scarves, etc. with wool. And as Trina said with air conditioning you still need some warm things. If you want to keep knitting with wool but fear it'll be too hot to wear you can knit for a charity like Afghans for Afghans.

Good luck on getting your new job.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Sketcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

597 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  2:48:10 PM  Show Profile Send Sketcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or you could knit for KR forum members in colder climates.

Maybe especially for those who live near Madison, WI and have 10 inches of snow outside their door with more forecasted for tomorrow.

Shiver, shiver.

Besides, you'll still go visit colder climates, won't you?

And your body temp might drastically change. When I lived in Florida, people who had been there longer dressed a whole lot warmer than I would on a cooler day.
Go to Top of Page

queenmaxine
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  3:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit queenmaxine's Homepage Send queenmaxine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in Houston (we can meet halfway when you are settled at a Starbucks or something to knit!) and I have a thing for chunky pretty wool. The chunkier the better. I knit with it year round and while I do not have a lot of sweaters tha I have knit, I do have a lot of Eileen Fisher sweaters that I wear year round as the work places down here are in general a constant 68-70.

My blog is not strictly knitting, but there are occasional WIP updates and frustration or bragging rants as I am a new knitter.

www.nolanoni.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  01:23:16 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in Austin - 90 minutes, 2 hours north of San Antonio, for those not too familiar with Tx geography - , and while I do wear linen and cotton practically all year around, I also have and put to good use several wool sweaters, wraps, skirts, leggings, and a coat. Not to mention mittens and countless pairs of socks. Ok, the socks are for work, running and hiking. I also drive a convertible with the top down whenever possible, and even in August the A/C in restaurants, theatres, and people's homes is usually turned up much too high for me, so I need to bundle up when others don't.
And yep, daytime temps are currently in the high 70's, low 80's. But last week they were in the 30's. They'll be shifting like this until early March. So don't despair, you'll be able to wear your woolies and silks around here. If not under a coat/jacket, then instead of one!
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  03:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, San Antonio can be a hot place. My only visit there was during the last week of July some years ago. We spent a week and loved it, although we wished the meetings we were attending had been scheduled in the spring. I'd love to go back to SA sometime when it's cooler.

(I live in the Southeast). I have just really gotten into knitting with wool this summer. Wow, I love it. I'm just completing my second wool sweater vest (v-neck button-up). You might consider sleeveless pullover or open front sweater vests as a way to wear wool in a warmer winter climate. I love them. I've used my wool socks plenty of times too, especially with the open back style shoes--I love Clarks. It's a great way to show your socks and be comfortable at the same time.

Knit Picks sells a really soft cotton (modal and cotton blend) called Shine in sport weight and worsted (colors are different for the different weights). I've knit a chemotherapy hat with Shine and it was sooooooo soft. I had also knit one with Rowan Calmer, also nice but more expensive. You might look into using the Shine for a sweater--I haven't tried it that way yet, but many people around here have commented that they like the yarn.

http://www.knitpicks.com/Shine%20Sport_YD5420122.html
http://www.knitpicks.com/Shine+Worsted_YD5420140.html

I haven't tried the Knit Picks Cotlin yet, but it's a cotton/linen blend that might work well for you too.

Best of luck with your new job possibilites.

Barbara

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  08:09:45 AM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Mickey said, you can often get by with sweaters only here instead of jackets. However, when it gets cold, it's cold, baby! The humidity (which won't be as miserable in S.A. as it is here in NE Texas) will cut through your clothes until you think you can't get enough on. My husband and I lived in Eastern Oregon for 7 years. We got snow all the time but it is a dry cold in that part of the state. When we moved back South we could NOT get warm. What you will find is 70 days backed up to 30 ones. Fun.

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

Pat in east Texas
Chatty Knitter

314 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  10:45:32 AM  Show Profile Send Pat in east Texas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even here in 'way south Texas, where we are for the winter, it can get plenty cold. I've already worn wool socks once since the first of the month, and January and most of February have a lot of "wool days". So keep on knitting - you'll get some use out of your projects!
Go to Top of Page

Jaknit
Seriously Hooked

639 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  11:06:13 AM  Show Profile Send Jaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Living in southern CA and near the coast, the temperature seldom dips below 45 F in the winter; however, we do not have heat in our house so the in-house temperature is often in the 50's requiring sweaters.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

KBerry
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
486 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  11:30:57 AM  Show Profile Send KBerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I grew up in TX (far west TX) and now live in the Deep South (Mississippi) so I've seen and been through it all. Wool is ok, but you won't get to weart it long term. Mostly first thing in the morning and on the way home or evening. It will get cold, but warm up during the day.

I've knit with cotton, cotton blends, wool, wool blends etc. I wouldn't recommend too bulky/chunky type yarns unless it is a cardi (ie quickly removable) as the temps change before your eyes.

Love San Antonio, by the way! Am jealous, would love to live in San Antonio or Austin.

Kristin

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2361 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  12:18:06 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm originally from Ohio/CT but now live in Arizona and I'm always cold no matter what season we're in. In the summer, everything is air conditioned so I need a jacket inside but take it off when I go out. In the winter, I'm cold whether I'm inside or outside. My husband wears shorts year round so it's just me, I guess, but I knit with wool for winter things and keep some of it and send some back East.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  3:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live on the Central Coast of California now (about halfway between LA and San Fransisco) and the "winter" temps are usually 55-65 degree highs and 35-45 degree lows, with a lot of dampness. Much warmer than growing up in the Midwest, so I rarely use real coats anymore, but between the cooler temps and the A/C at work, I do love a good cardigan or hoodie! Ironically, I use my wool sweaters, socks, scarves, and mitts mostly in the summer time here! Our outdoor theater is in a valley and it gets really hot during the day and really cold at night!

I also knit for my folks back in the Midwest, too.

Gone Crazy, Back Soon
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  4:47:09 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in SoCal where it was 80 degrees two days ago and now it's a mere 60 in the house. I just took off my wool house socks but I'm going to put them right back on.

Lella
My Blog

Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  5:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Great! Your experiences are just what I needed to here. Now all I need is that job!

Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  7:19:23 PM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in tropics. Really hot place, but the office aircon is at 10deg C. Not sure if you have winter.
Prefered yarn include bamboo, silk, cotton, linen for summer months. For colder months (not winter, just rainy season), wool and other warmer yarns such as angora, merino are ok.
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  8:33:35 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RobA
Now all I need is that job!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, then!
Go to Top of Page

cena
Warming Up

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  11:57:41 PM  Show Profile Send cena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best wishes on getting the job, Roberta. I grew up in Odessa, TX. I have to tell you that a button-up sweater or poncho, or a hoody, are great wool items for Texas. There is often a big difference between daytime temps and nighttime ones, and a lot more days where you need a sweater instead of a coat.
Go to Top of Page

sandrasingh
Seriously Hooked

USA
740 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  08:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandrasingh's Homepage Send sandrasingh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best of luck with the job Roberta, keep us posted. I'm in Austin too and repeat what all these Texas knitters have been telling you...knit what you love and you'll find times during the year to wear your cool weather knits. We had a huge ice storm last winter out in the hill country and I didn't have enough sweaters!

Sandra Singh
www.sandrasingh.com
sandrasingh@sandrasingh.com
My Blog:http://knittingwithsandrasingh.sandrasingh.com/
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  09:35:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sandra, I figured when I saw all that wool and mohair at Hill Country Weavers in Austin that there must be SOME use for it! I am pretty happy that the projects on the needles now are cardis, and think I will use the Rowan Kid Classic for a cardigan as well. Even here, it is better to have something you can take off easily, since we have the reverse problem from the too-cold air conditioning -- we have the too-hot heating, and going from very cold outdoors into the very hot indoors requires a striptease! I am making the Pearl Buck swing cardi using Lavold Silky Wool, and it seems to me that would be a great yarn for Southwest weather. My next interview is next week -- will let you all know what happens. Trina, is your problem with Arizona the weather or the cultural differences from Seattle?

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  10:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by susan14_23

I live in California. I wouldn't get much use out of a very heavy sweater but I knit socks, scarves, etc. with wool. And as Trina said with air conditioning you still need some warm things. If you want to keep knitting with wool but fear it'll be too hot to wear you can knit for a charity like Afghans for Afghans.

Good luck on getting your new job.

Susan

I too live in Cali, and regularly knit with wool and wear it as well. I have found that I am alot more comfortable wearing wool, than several layers of cotton or fleece to stay warm.

You know, it's easy to assume when you live in a colder climate that places south never get cold. In Cali this past week, it's been in the 20s at night and 60s in day, which is unusual, because when it gets that cold at night, it generally does not top out higher than 40s in day. Nor'easters are always surprised by that.

And everyone is right, your body will adjust and cooler temps will feel cooler, because your body gets acclimated to the hotter temps. And in my experience, the south tends to really crank up the aircon....like down to 60s(feels like), compared to high 70s on the aircon in Cali, because the adjustment from 105 degrees to 60s make folks ill.

So I don't think that you need to fear no longer using wool, you will just use it differently.

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com Now offering FREE US shipping through year end.
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.