Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting in Warm climates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  03:43:15 AM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, well wool is my favorite yarn (actually Merino is my most favorite) so I knit with wool! I also use wool/cotton blends sometimes. Tahki cotton has been used on probably 30 sweaters also. I used to live in Norman, Oklahoma where the heat index in the summer was usually over 100 degrees but the winters can be very cold. Now, I live on the east coast in North Carolina where this week the temperatures have been in the 70's and 80's. I'm still knitting with wool! I haven't been able to wear my wool sweaters as much this winter, yet, but I'm still hoping! There's just no good replacement for wonderful wool! I still knit my wool socks and felted wool clogs also. I agree with everyone about airconditioned restaurants...I always carry a sweater into a restaurant. Here's hoping you land the dream job! Vanessa

Vanessa

Live is an adventure....enjoy every minute!
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  10:54:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just spent several days in San Antonio, interviewing for the job, and was glad I brought my wool jacket with me! Temps in the 40s, rain, wind... Then had a beautiful Saturday during which a light jacket would have been just perfect. Gave me an idea of what winter is like there. Now we'll have to see what they decide about the job.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Delldgm
New Pal

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  7:13:55 PM  Show Profile Send Delldgm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi I'm From Adelaide South Australia - I knit/crochet all year round even though our temperates in summer average out at about 90 degrees farenheight and at times get up to 115 degrees. I generally knit in 8 ply for winter woollies which I make in summer and I use cotton or 2-4 ply for summer tops.

DellDGM
Go to Top of Page

SoCalKnitter
New Pal

Ireland
31 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  03:35:11 AM  Show Profile Send SoCalKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess I've done the opposite. As a California native (SoCal for the final 7 years), I've moved to Ireland 11 months ago and am enjoying working more with wool--and the fact that I can wear more of it! However, I was able to knit a lot, just not wool sweaters. I found myself doing more purses, light (fashion, fun fur) scarves, lighter hats, baby blankets, etc. And previous posters are right, evenings can get chilly, layers are really needed as it's so changeable, and a lot of homes aren't the best for heating. I would say go ahead and finish your sweater; you never know if you'll be skiing or invited on a snow trip. However, I found that warmer times of the year I had to knit smaller things that wouldn't rest on my lap and overheat me. There are so many different knit accessories that you can knit, you just have to adjust your thinking in a warmer climate. Best of luck!

--SoCalKnitter (now living in Ireland)
www.AlishaHamblen.com for knitting blog
"It is easy to say how we love new friends, and what we think of them, but words can never trace out all the fibers that knit us to the old." George Eliot
Go to Top of Page

frodosmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
480 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  7:49:15 PM  Show Profile Send frodosmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hope the new job turns out to be all that you have been looking for. I'm not too fond of cotton for knitting; it usually lacks the elasticity that makes the knitting flow. But I LOVE using linen. It can be cool in summer and warm in winter. It feels rough at first sometimes, but after a wash or two it feels just fine.

If the folks back home wouldn't appreciate your knitting for them, why not knit for hospitals and other charitable organizations. There your efforts would be very much appreciated.

Margaret in South Carolina
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.