Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Finally, I did it!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

littleknitser
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  7:48:02 PM  Show Profile Send littleknitser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been waiting so long to learn how to crochet and I finally did! I learned by following one of those kits at Walmart. I still love to knit, don't get me wrong, but if you don't know to crochet you need to learn!

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  8:26:58 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good for you for sticking with it! Now you have a lot more options open to you. Have fun!

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

LI Craftgal
Gabber Extraordinaire

382 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  8:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit LI Craftgal's Homepage Send LI Craftgal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good for you. There are some things that are just meant to be crocheted. And there is a book called knitting loves crochet that has projects that have both incorperated in them. I for one love to do both!!

Kelly

http://licraftgals-spot.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

NatRed2
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  8:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit NatRed2's Homepage Send NatRed2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations! I think EVERYONE should learn how to knit and crochet!

Jeanne

Nat Red Knits
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  06:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, a handy skill to have. I prefer most knit fabrics to crochet fabrics, but there are good uses for crochet.

Arctic-mermaid
http://www.flickr.com/photos/MermaidKnits/
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3978 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  07:25:32 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are really tackling the fiber arts. I can't wait to see what you learn next.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

amazing grace
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  11:10:54 AM  Show Profile Send amazing grace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since my husband croch
Go to Top of Page

amazing grace
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  11:12:54 AM  Show Profile Send amazing grace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since my husband crochets, I've been lazy about learning. It's too easy to say "Honey, would you do the crocheted edging on this sweater?"

However, he now has several projects in the works, so when I suggested he crochet a beaded edging on a shawl, he handed me his encyclopedia of crochet and some scrap yarn.

Do you suppose that was a hint? *laughing*

Grace
Go to Top of Page

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  11:17:07 AM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to crochet. Not am much as I like to knit, but once a year or so I crochet an afghan. There are some great patterns out there -- crochet doesn't have to be granny squares and avocado-colored ripples anymore.

-Elizabeth in Alabama
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  1:24:53 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Good on you for learning to crochet! I taught myself to crochet many years ago and don't regret it.Knitting will always be my favourite craft,but I enjoy a bit of crochet now and then,as well.

Leslie

My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  3:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I learned to crochet when I was about 10, I guess. After a lot of fruitless nagging of my mother I finally gave up waiting for her to teach me (she hated crochet even though she knew how to do it) and sat down with some written instructions and taught myself. I seldom use the skills, now, but they are there if needed.

KathyR
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  8:37:48 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely useful to know both! I preferred crochet at first because I dropped stitches like crazy (everything looked liek accidental lace) and I had no idea how to end! Didn't know what binding off was. So Crochet was way better, but now I do prefer to knit, a much more finished look. Although if I want something strangely shaped crocheet is a good option because you can free form so much easier. And ripping out is so much easier too!
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  06:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great job!

Although I much prefer knitting, I use my crochet skills quite a bit in conjunction with knitting, especially when I need a lace edging for a blanket or shawl.

A crochet hook is your best friend when you've dropped a stitch in knitting. I don't leave home without one.

Barbara

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ClaireG
Seriously Hooked

602 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  07:24:43 AM  Show Profile Send ClaireG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good for you, I have taken lessons and keep being told that I need to keep track and pay close attention to my work. I like knitting better, but I also like crochet.
Claire
Go to Top of Page

littleknitser
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  4:22:28 PM  Show Profile Send littleknitser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been going pretty strong with my crochrting but I still knit. Will someone tell my or give me a link that tells how to increase when doing a single stitch? It would help a bunch!
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  06:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
by single stitch, do you mean "single crochet" or "sc"? just work into the same stitch in the previous row twice instead of once. same for increasing when using the other stitches. when turning a corner, you will usually work into the same stitch of the previous row 3 times so the work will lie flat.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  07:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you scroll down a bit more here at KR you will find a Crochet Forum. You might try reading and posting crochet questions there as well. You can also use the search feature (top right section of any page at KR).

Barbara

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  07:15:33 AM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations! Each is a valuable needle art and each has its own strengths (and weaknesses). You will never regret knowing how to both knit and crochet, littleknitster.

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

littleknitser
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  08:48:06 AM  Show Profile Send littleknitser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for all the positive feedback and tips! I really apreciate it.

Check out my blog!
http://snowcreativity.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gdelrosa
Seriously Hooked

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  11:38:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit gdelrosa's Homepage  Send gdelrosa a Yahoo! Message Send gdelrosa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crocheting is fun! I use crochet when I want to do something fast like baby hats that I make for charity or gifts. It also lends itself well to afghans.

I changed my blog name: www.gailknits.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Woolyworm
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  2:09:03 PM  Show Profile Send Woolyworm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that it is so useful to know both skills. I personally would never knit an afghan, as I can crochet one ten times faster. On to other hand, I would never crochet a sweater! Both have their uses. IMO, crochet is fast and fun.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?